Picking a first bike - help needed

ppops

Picking a first bike - help needed

Postby ppops » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying my first bike.
I'm going to start riding to work every day. It's about a 12km trip in so nothing huge.
I also want to do a bit of mountain biking on the weekends and can't really afford two bikes. So I'm thinking i can just have two sets of tyres and rims?
Would that work?
What would I need?

I'm looking to spend around $1,000 or maybe a little bit more.

I'va had a look around and I like the look of these two.....

Giant Alias - http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/alias.matte.black/5296/37323/
Giant Yukon - http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/yukon.black.silver/5291/37297/

Would these be allright for me? Can you suggest anything different?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

provoked

Re: Picking a first bike - help needed

Postby provoked » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:57 am

So, thing is, you can use a MTB for commuting AND offroad, but most road bikes will not allow you to do any offroading. I'm no MTB rider, although I've been looking into getting one and the two you have mentioned are nice, but I will let some of the serious MTBrs chime in here. The Avanti's seem to get mentioned for value, aswell as a coupe of the Cell variants.

Depending on how often you will go offroad, two sets of tyres should suffice (Slicks and MTB, plus good tyre levers). Tyre changes only take 10 or so minutes once you're used to it.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

brookts

Postby brookts » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 pm

If youre commuting in the city often, it might be worth having a front suspension that you can 'lock'. Riding in the city on hard smooth surfaces with suspension reduces your efficiency and takes some power out of your riding.

Happs

Postby Happs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 pm

brookts wrote:If youre commuting in the city often, it might be worth having a front suspension that you can 'lock'. Riding in the city on hard smooth surfaces with suspension reduces your efficiency and takes some power out of your riding.

+1 for that advice!

I used a hard tail MTB for a while and I can't lock the front suspension on it. I can tighten it to the max, but it still gives. I've since bought a road bike for the commute and the power transfer is chalk and cheese.

My experience was that trying to get a single MTB/road bike to be everything to both types of riding wasn't actually great at either. It kind of did it both but not very well and ended up being a frustration for me. I've kept my hard tail MTB but I'll be saving for a proper one if I continue to go off road. In the mean time, very happy with a road bike purchase given 'most' my riding is on hard ground.

thekovac

Postby thekovac » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Happs wrote:
brookts wrote:If youre commuting in the city often, it might be worth having a front suspension that you can 'lock'. Riding in the city on hard smooth surfaces with suspension reduces your efficiency and takes some power out of your riding.

+1 for that advice!

I used a hard tail MTB for a while and I can't lock the front suspension on it. I can tighten it to the max, but it still gives. I've since bought a road bike for the commute and the power transfer is chalk and cheese.

My experience was that trying to get a single MTB/road bike to be everything to both types of riding wasn't actually great at either. It kind of did it both but not very well and ended up being a frustration for me. I've kept my hard tail MTB but I'll be saving for a proper one if I continue to go off road. In the mean time, very happy with a road bike purchase given 'most' my riding is on hard ground.

+1 to this. I've been riding a Giant Thermo (MTB) on road with mountain bike tyres, and i will say it really isn't very pleasant or all that suitable for roads. It is very much bearable to do once in a while when you need too, but to always have to deal with the suspension and the shear weight of the bike slowing you down is quite annoying after a while. It is quite an effort more to pedal a mtb on the roads with less speed than in a roadie. I just bought myself a new roadie about two weeks ago and the difference in riding is very noticable. I've been able to go much further distances with greater speed than in mtb. (this is after no riding bikes for a year!). I would recommend buying a roadbike for the roads if you're going to be riding on them regularly. For $1000 you should be able to get a roadie with a carbon fork (high recommended!) and some sora gear. For commuting the sora gear will do fine, and beside you can upgrade those later, if you really need to too.. On the other hand if you extended your budget towards the 1.4-1.5k mark you should be able to buy bikes with tiagra gear like the Giant Defy 1.

I will agree with the above poster about panniers - I really don't like them either, not only do they look dicky (IMO) but I really don't think they're all that superior over using a backpack. The advantage with them is just more the fact that its not straining on your back but placing drag on your rear. Depending on what you carry round, but maybe have a think on how you can reduce that load (i.e. for me I'm spending the money I would on panniers (approx $400) on buying a netbook instead of the heavy shoulder weight that is my laptop etc).

Good luck with your choice - feel free to come back and ask more questions - we're happy to help :)
Main Wheels - Gina the 2009 Apollo Giro C
Backup Ride - Tina the 2007 Giant Thermo2