My bike has arrived in Brisbane, who should I call?

Will

My bike has arrived in Brisbane, who should I call?

Postby Will » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 am

Morning,

My bike says on the Parcelforce tracking website that it has arrived at the delivery agent in Brisbane. One part is awaiting customs clearance and the other box is cleared. I was wondering if anyone knows who I should call and try and speed up the process ie. not have to wait until someone sends me a letter saying I have GST to pay to customs.

The bike is from wiggle but they are no use asking as they have nothing to do with the package once it is here. Parcelforce is a UK company and don't do the delivery here, so would Aus post be the one to call or will it be held at the Brisbane customs house? Anyone done it before?

Many thanks

r2160

Re: My bike has arrived in Brisbane, who should I call?

Postby r2160 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06 am

Hi

If you have to organize clearance yourself, you need to do the following:

form B319 for yourself and the company you purchased the bike from
form B374
a copy of the invoice that you received when you purchased the bike

all filled in, and faxed through to Aust customs

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Will

Postby Will » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the info Glenn

I called aust post and they said both packages are still in customs clearance area and will not be available just yet, will have to wait until they have left customs and I get that letter, they dont seem to give much other info than that. I guess I will wait a day or two! 'Patience is a virtue'

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 pm

What you can also do is ask for the "N" number.

Because Aust Post and Aust Customs don't communicate very well, Customs cannot use the tracking number that the postal service uses. Aust Post issue a storage number, the "N" number that you then use as a reference with Customs to clear your parcel. Call Aust post and ask for that N reference number and it will speed clearance up no end.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Will wrote:Morning,

My bike says on the Parcelforce tracking website that it has arrived at the delivery agent in Brisbane. One part is awaiting customs clearance and the other box is cleared. I was wondering if anyone knows who I should call and try and speed up the process ie. not have to wait until someone sends me a letter saying I have GST to pay to customs.

The bike is from wiggle but they are no use asking as they have nothing to do with the package once it is here. Parcelforce is a UK company and don't do the delivery here, so would Aus post be the one to call or will it be held at the Brisbane customs house? Anyone done it before?

Many thanks
From memory you will have to go out to the aussie post international mail centre on Qantas drive at Brissie airport. There is a office with customs people staffing it, you front up with your paperwork (notice from Aust post to pick up, commercial invoice from Wiggle, tarriff numbers for a bicycle etc) and they will step you through the process of paying the gst and duty. Then they will hand over the bike.

Last time I did this was about 4 years ago so it may of changed.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Will

Postby Will » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:16 pm

I think aus post said I should wait as they don't have any control yet, because the items are in the 'secure customs warehouse' and have not come through into the country yet so to speak. They are still checking to see if I'm an international drugs smuggler in other words. Hope they don't check the inner tubes!

steambao

Postby steambao » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Will wrote:I think aus post said I should wait as they don't have any control yet, because the items are in the 'secure customs warehouse' and have not come through into the country yet so to speak. They are still checking to see if I'm an international drugs smuggler in other words. Hope they don't check the inner tubes!
Hahahahha! Made my day :D

brookts

Postby brookts » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Will wrote:who I should call
ghostbusters

Will

Postby Will » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

The bike and wheelset packages have been in customs since sunday morning grrr... how long does it take to check over the packages? I just called and they are still being processed in customs...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Most importantly, whadyagit ?

Will

Postby Will » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Its a Focys Cayo Expert from wiggle and I have nothing to ride at the moment so am veeery keen to get it. I have had another thing come right through customs in a matter of minutes over the weekend, so not sure why this is taking so long.
I know they have to apply GST to the purchase etc, but I can't see how realizing this and doing the necessary steps would take anything like the time it has, I know I will need to wait for that letter to come, but it seems they have not got round to that yet... im very impatient :lol: just hate having it sitting around in the customs warehouse doing nothing!

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Will wrote: They are still checking to see if I'm an international drugs smuggler in other words. Hope they don't check the inner tubes!

Maybe they read this and right now are taking to your inner tubes with a kitchen knife :shock:

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Will

Postby Will » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Haha yeah i was thinking that too.

They have said it may not have even been seen yet and over the weekend the packages build up so it's probably in a long line of packages waiting to be x-rayed. I had thought they would have been x-raying all weekend, so that's where the hold up comes from.

Ellipsis

Postby Ellipsis » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Will wrote:Thanks for the info Glenn

I called aust post and they said both packages are still in customs clearance area and will not be available just yet, will have to wait until they have left customs and I get that letter, they dont seem to give much other info than that. I guess I will wait a day or two! 'Patience is a virtue'
Hi Will,

I was in your position a couple of months ago. Sux to have to wait huh... From my experience you don't need the letter from Customs. Call Aust Post and quote one or both your Parcleforce tracking numbers. They should be able to give you there own reference number N123456 or similar. With that number you can then call customs and fill out N10 & (Registering as a client in the Integrated Cargo System) forms. You fill out two of the latter - One with your details and one of Wiggles. When you fax your details to customs include screen grab of your bike from the wiggle website listing specs and on covering letter quote Tariff Code: 8712 Ref: 0104891 Schedule 4 Item 50
Bicycles/op18.06.01t/c 0104891/50

This exempts you from duty as you may be aware.

The whole process takes about a day.

Lets hope we see you on your bike carving it up this weekend:)
Kona Hoss 2003
Battaglin Stealth 2009
Focus Planet 2.0 2014

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi

I have just processed a new guitar from the US. As has been said, I rang Aust post and told them I wanted the N number. I no longer accept excuses from Aust post saying "I dont know what the N number is". You have to sometimes go to the operator's supervisor to get the number. My parcel arrived on Friday. I got the number yesterday when I rang. I filled in the paperwork, importer, exporter and details (B319 and 374) and just faxed it to them.

I got a payment advise via email today that I have already faxed back filled in.

I might add that I still have not received the paperwork from Aust post yet, but when you know the system, it is easy to short cut.

Give them a call, ask, politely but firmly for the N number, fill in the paperwork that is available on Customs.gov.au and fax it through to them.

cheers
Glenn
-----------

Will

Postby Will » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:28 pm

r2160 wrote:Hi

I have just processed a new guitar from the US. As has been said, I rang Aust post and told them I wanted the N number. I no longer accept excuses from Aust post saying "I dont know what the N number is". You have to sometimes go to the operator's supervisor to get the number. My parcel arrived on Friday. I got the number yesterday when I rang. I filled in the paperwork, importer, exporter and details (B319 and 374) and just faxed it to them.

I got a payment advise via email today that I have already faxed back filled in.

I might add that I still have not received the paperwork from Aust post yet, but when you know the system, it is easy to short cut.

Give them a call, ask, politely but firmly for the N number, fill in the paperwork that is available on Customs.gov.au and fax it through to them.

cheers
Glenn
Thanks again for the tip. Have they said you can now pick up the guitar?

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Most offices in Australia no longer allow you to collect the goods. You used to be able to, but they shut the customer service offices in December 2008 making it harder to process anything. What they have effectively done is add 3-4 weeks to processing times, as opposed to the 10 minutes it used to take.

Now you have to wait for them to process the paperwork in their own time. Now I have given them payment details, I keep an eye on my visa, and when they have taken the money, I know it should arrive the next day.

I might add, that several months ago, I even got my local federal member involved. They couldn't believe how long and painful it took to process a simple shipment. But I can tell you that they quickly jumped ship when they realised how hard it was and how long it took. Not even the managers of Aust Post new how to process international items. I was teaching them how it worked.

cheers
Glenn
-----------