Flat mudguards: effective compared to curved ones?

Wabberjocky

Flat mudguards: effective compared to curved ones?

Postby Wabberjocky » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:36 am

I've always used the more 'traditionally' shaped mudguard, that curves a little over the tyre.

I've noticed flat ones seem to be popular on a range of new bikes like this one:

Avanti Blade 8: http://www.avantibikes.com/fitness/blad ... px?bid=267

Are they as effective? Without trying them, it seems like you'd get more side splatter potentially hitting your trousers etc.

Cheers,
B

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flat mudguards: effective compared to curved ones?

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:21 am

Depends on your speed and wet weather conditions - hence direction and spread of water coming off the tires.

From the image I can't see how wide it is... if it is fairly wide before and after the fork then it may be enough to do the same job that a curved mud guard would do.

That being said, a curved mud guard would have the advantage that when water hits it, it follows the curve form and falls off the edges - directed away from your trousers. A flat mudguard would mean that water hitting the guard has less guidance out and when there is a lot of water it may not be able to disperse as effectively and could cause more spray on the sides.

Optically they are appealing though practically may not be as effective if you are riding regularly in all kind of weather.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:That being said, a curved mud guard would have the advantage that when water hits it, it follows the curve form and falls off the edges - directed away from your trousers. A flat mudguard would mean that water hitting the guard has less guidance out and when there is a lot of water it may not be able to disperse as effectively and could cause more spray on the sides.
+1

They seem to be trendy amongst fixed gear riders and some city bike manufacturers, but in real wet weather you will get a lot of overspray that will wet your legs.

With a front guard that short and no mudflap, you will get wet shoes in any wet conditions :roll: . You'd need to fit some real guards to this one.
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ooga_boogah

Postby ooga_boogah » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:46 pm

i'm using curved mudguards on my hybrid with 700x23 tyres. i find that they block the water from spraying straight up at my body but some spray still escapes sideways and wets my shoes and socks.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:14 am

Probably most of that comes from the front tyre, because you need a mudflap :idea:

I have 45mm wide guards on a 35mm tyre, with a Brooks leather mudflap. You can of course make one out of a plastic milkbottle if you like. I get no spray from the tyres on wet roads. Rain of course will still make the shoes wet from above after enough time - overbooties are the answer there, something like the BBB Waterflex booties or the Showerspass ones.

Of course for total rain protection, if you have good mudguards, this is the way to go :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Those front mudguards do not extend far enough downwards. They would therefore need to be replaced.