Crank Brothers - Shimano SPD Cleats - Different?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Crank Brothers - Shimano SPD Cleats - Different?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:17 pm

G'day

Took Joe (MTB) out for a 30 km spin this morning to a geocache and found not having clipless pedals a pain. I appreciate that Crank Brothers pedals seem to be the ones recommended, however, Chase (Flatbar) has Shimano SPD pedals on her.

If I got a set, of say Crank Brother Candy pedals, will my SPD cleats work with them or will I need to change the cleats on my shoes when I want to ride Joe?

My riding of Joe is (or will be) a mix of road work (local goecaching/shops) and MTB touring and day tripping.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 pm

BNA

Postby alchemist » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 pm

The short answer - No!

The longer answer is you may get Shimano cleats to click in to Crank Bros cleats but getting them out is a different matter altogether.
alchemist

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Cranks Brothers and SPD cleats are incompatible, I'm afraid. You either need to get:

1. A set of SPD pedals for Joe.
2. A set of CB pedals for Joe and a second set of shoes (so you can have one pair of shoes with each cleat type).
3. Two sets of CB pedals (e.g Eggbeaters for Joe and Quattros for Chase).

Changing from one cleat system to another can be a (financially) painful process unfortunately, but you might be glad of the switch to Crank Brothers in the long run. I love my new CB Quattros, much better than the SPDs they replaced.
Hotdog

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will stick to a cheaper set of Shimano pedals for now and when I upgrade Joe next year look to switch over both bikes to CB pedals.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby europa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm

There's nothing wrong with Shimano pedals. Sure, some on the forum have had troubles with them, but when the question was posed recently, quite a few haven't - I'm one of those who hasn't had troubles. You've got shoes and one bike set up with Shimano, buy Shimano pedals for the other one - in the meantime, just swap pedals as needed.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks Richard. I am going Shimano ... the question is then which set for Joe ... A mate is placing an order on PBK so we are splitting the freight. Their MTB offerings are here.

The question is: M324 or M424? I think I would prefer platforms, not tried something like the M505. They are out of stock of M520s.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby europa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:17 pm

I've got the M324 on two bikes and 505s on the Europa (got 'em cheap off flebay).

The 324s work well and while I don't use them with plain shoes very often, that's worth having. With your camping, I can imagine you banging around the camp, then wanting to leap on the bike for a short trip - having to put special shoes on could be a pain.

The 505s can be used with normal shoes, but so can a bare axle.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:19 pm

I have a pair of M424s on my Trusty Steed, and I've been reasonably happy with them. I used them for commuting though, can't say much about their performance off road. Despite appearances the platform doesn't make them much good for riding in normal shoes though, the bindings stick out above the platforms making them uncomfortable and slippy when wearing soft soled shoes. If you think you might want to sometimes ride on Joe in street shoes then you'd probably be better off with the M324s.
Hotdog

Postby Bnej » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:20 pm

The M324 is probably going to be more robust, that's what I have on my MTB. The main difference in usage is the 324 you flip over to choose clipless/platform, while the 424 has the binding on both sides.
Bnej

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Bnej wrote:The main difference in usage is the 324 you flip over to choose clipless/platform, while the 424 has the binding on both sides.

Ahh okay, that is the same style I have on Chase. According to Giant the 2008 CRX 1 has M505s [and mine does] but I have a plastic platform on mine.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:59 pm

I have used a pedal thats similar to the M424 and found it fine to use a normal shoe with, the cleat didn't dig into your foot, it just sprung back. I'm guessing you would get a similar result with the M424.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Bnej wrote:The main difference in usage is the 324 you flip over to choose clipless/platform, while the 424 has the binding on both sides.

Ahh okay, that is the same style I have on Chase. According to Giant the 2008 CRX 1 has M505s [and mine does] but I have a plastic platform on mine.

Andrew

A hard twist will have that plastic platform off Andrew, leaving a double sided 505, it will go back on a few times before the clips wreck the plastic. but you might want to leave it on for your planned use.

I've got 505s on Princess and 520s on Deni the Roadie and am happy with both, I tend to bang pedals a lot on the scenery, often killing them before they have a chance to get old :oops: I don't spend too big on them for this reason, though the 505s are doing very well so far.

Cheers

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts