Best purchase option for up to $3000 budget

hitch

Best purchase option for up to $3000 budget

Postby hitch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm thinking of buying a road bike - already have a fixed gear and MTB, but what's another one :)

re: usage, I'm looking at doing a few triathlons and Around the Bay in a day, and maybe a few other rides, general commuting, and maybe long weekend rides (occasional up to 100km).

I'd like to spend closer to $2000, but don't really get excited by idea of spending ~$2000 and then progressively upgrading parts etc., so am willing to go up if it means I'll get a good bike to begin with, rather than upgrading to.

It seems that everyone is quite excited by some of the Cannondales that fall in this bracket. I did some research earlier in the year and was asking the LBS about this, with regards to European bikes (Colnago, Bianchi etc.), and they said that unless you spend a bit more, you're not really getting much bike for your buck at this price bracket, and recommended one of the Cannondales in the range.

Any suggestions welcome!

Missy24

Re: Best purchase option for up to $3000 budget

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:49 pm

You should put 3 bikes on your list.

Scott
Cannondale
Malvern Star

The above is for an example

Colnago and Bianchi don't give you THAT much for you $$$ apart from a name... take them of your list and buy something sensible until your willing to for out for a toy that you really don't need, and when you do get that toy that you don't need then you can have full Di2 on it and all the bells and whistles :wink:

Buy something with 105's... in that price bracket your looking at Scott bikes, or even Merida.

Cannondale in your price range would be the Caad9 - 6, good frame, you can upgrade parts, nice looking bike.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? You should have a chat to BSC QV :wink:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Oh and you should just go and test ride a heap of bikes that ARE in your price range... and then decide

hitch

Postby hitch » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:59 pm

Missy24 wrote: Where abouts in Melbourne are you? You should have a chat to BSC QV :wink:
Thanks for that Missy - yeah, when I said LBS in the first post, it was actually BSC QV. Will have to see if I can get in there at the weekend and refresh the conversation from January (when I last got the bug, but didn't act on it).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Scott over Cannondale? Wash yer mouth out young lady :P

While bsc QV is a great place staffed by great blokes, there's plenty of shops in the CBD. Go nuts testing before spending.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pete_C

Postby Pete_C » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm in an identical position Hitch, I've spent the last three or so weeks looking for something a bit more serious that my commuter but I'm struggling to make up my mind. God knows how many bike stores I have been through or how many bikes I have looked at, all I know is that my original $2000 budget has increased somewhat to 3k.

The bikes that I liked the most so far are
Full Carbon
Avanti Cadent 1.0 (09) $2800
Avanti Cadent 1.0 (10) $2999
Cannondale 6 carbon 6 $2600?? I can't quite remember exactly how much

Alu/Carbon Mix
Specialized Allez Comp $2599
Avanti Giro $2399

Personally I liked the Avanti Cadent the most as they had a little more relaxed seating position and the carbon frame did take the edge of the bumps, the Cannondale was really good as well but it had a "racer" geometry and I just felt more comfortable on the Avanti but that is a personal thing. I'm just debating the merits of a carbon frame vs price vs tech, I'm a sucker for things like carbon fiber and hi-tech gadgets, she who must be obeyed however wants to spend more money on clothes and shoes.

Other bikes that are out there that I have only looked at but not had a ride of yet are the
Melvin Star occy's
Giant TRC Alliance 0 & 1, Defy Alliance
I think the Trek Madone 4.5 may come in at under $3000 but I cannot find anyone with them in stock. There are also some Azzurri's that seem to be well kitted out for the money.

I have decided that sometimes there is such a thing as too many options.
Hope this helps,
Pete

Rider123

Postby Rider123 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Get the bike that you like most.
As simple as that.

What do you guys mean exactly by not getting value for ur money from 'Bianchi...Colnago bikes?

To be honest, the bike i really want to get is probably a Pinarello or a Bianchi.
but then again i am a 16 year male who can't even afford a PS3 (not that i want one), let alone a $3000 bike.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:54 pm

you'll pay extra for the label. its marketing. can a colnago really be twice as good as a giant with the same groupset?
the average rider would say yes 'because its a colnago'..

now wheres my flamesuit...

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:12 pm

munga wrote:you'll pay extra for the label. its marketing. can a colnago really be twice as good as a giant with the same groupset?

i agree with you 100%

to the OP - don't limit yourself to three brands, go out and see as many as you can. At that kind of money there are hundreds of options. And not huge differences between them.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:27 pm

I'd have a try of the Malvern Star Oppy. I bought one 12 months ago and done 5000k's since - and still lovin' it!
I paid $2500 for a carbon fibre frame and Durace running gear, but they did have some great opening specials when they re-launched the make last year.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Pete_C wrote:I'm in an identical position Hitch, I've spent the last three or so weeks looking for something a bit more serious that my commuter but I'm struggling to make up my mind. God knows how many bike stores I have been through or how many bikes I have looked at, all I know is that my original $2000 budget has increased somewhat to 3k.

Full Carbon

Alu/Carbon Mix
Avanti Giro $2399

Personally I liked the Avanti Cadent the most as they had a little more relaxed seating position and the carbon frame did take the edge of the bumps, the Cannondale was really good as well but it had a "racer" geometry and I just felt more comfortable on the Avanti but that is a personal thing. I'm just debating the merits of a carbon frame vs price vs tech, I'm a sucker for things like carbon fiber and hi-tech gadgets, she who must be obeyed however wants to spend more money on clothes and shoes.

Other bikes that are out there that I have only looked at but not had a ride of yet are the
Melvin Star occy's
I think the Trek Madone 4.5 may come in at under $3000 but I cannot find anyone with them in stock. There are also some Azzurri's that seem to be well kitted out for the money.

Hope this helps,
Pete
I paid my 09 avanti giro $1900 back in march from the LBS

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 pm

munga wrote:you'll pay extra for the label. its marketing. can a colnago really be twice as good as a giant with the same groupset?
the average rider would say yes 'because its not a giant'..

Fixed. Might need a lend of that suit :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:15 am

Rider123 wrote: What do you guys mean exactly by not getting value for ur money from 'Bianchi...Colnago bikes?
Take my Cannondale Six Carbon 3... the most you'll pay for it 4300.00 but when you go look the same running gear your look at 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0 Ultegra for $4999.00 now its a pretty bike and she looks damn beautiful... but look at the cost difference.

You get a name, Bianchi and Colnago have been around longer than my grandparents you could say they are synonymous with racing.

I want a Colnago and a Bianchi

hitch

Postby hitch » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 am

tripstobaltimore wrote:

i agree with you 100%

to the OP - don't limit yourself to three brands, go out and see as many as you can. At that kind of money there are hundreds of options. And not huge differences between them.
While I agree with your sentiments, unfortunately I have less time than I would like to go test a lot, and have a case of the "want it now"'s... Given this is my first road very decent road bike for a long time, I'd like to get something decent, and am willing to defer to other's opinions to help me narrow down the list - see previous point (i.e. not enough time to see them all to narrow down the list myself).

A mate recommended the Giant TCR Advanced 1 - how much can that be had for now? He said he'd seend it for ~$3000, but I can't find anything like that online. Also, how does this compare?

http://www.bicyclehq.com.au/bicycle/roa ... d_951.html

It appears that BSC bikes have some good deals on now on some of the Cannondales. How does the 2010 Cannondale Six 6 compare - or Synapse Carbon 6 (i realise it's got Tiagra). Could possibly stretch to the Synapse Carbon 5 if I could get a good deal...

For arguments sake, would these be comparable to a Scott CR1 team?

Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to test a few.

What CBD/South Melbourne shops would people recommend? will try BSC Bikes, but will probably only be looking at Scott/Cannondale there. Any CBD shops with good mix of other brands?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:14 pm

hitch wrote: For arguments sake, would these be comparable to a Scott CR1 team?
Full 105, aksiums (probably the only downfall, but a lot of mid ranges bikes come with average wheels IMO) and a frame that has a huge number of fans, particularly on the BV forums. Your better of asking your rear end which is the better bike - all of em are good. If your time short, create a shortlist based on recommendations and probably browse Bike Exchange as well. But make sure you at least check out a few different brands (not just models within the same brand). Im a 'want, and want now' kind of shopper, but glad I took a little extra time to do some research before I bought my bike.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:45 pm

_mike_ wrote:
Pete_C wrote:I'm in an identical position Hitch, I've spent the last three or so weeks looking for something a bit more serious that my commuter but I'm struggling to make up my mind. God knows how many bike stores I have been through or how many bikes I have looked at, all I know is that my original $2000 budget has increased somewhat to 3k.

Full Carbon

Alu/Carbon Mix
Avanti Giro $2399

Melvin Star occy's

Hope this helps,
Pete
I paid my 09 avanti giro $1900 back in march from the LBS
And I paid $2500 for a 2009 Cadent 1.0 about 3 months ago.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3