Cervelo S1 spec up BOUGHT ONE:)

pawel

Cervelo S1 spec up BOUGHT ONE:)

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:43 am

As I have decided to go for the S1 from http://thebikebarn.com.au/product.php?p ... 367&page=1, I need some advice on what wheels to change and a different compact crank from the FSA item they have. I am a 110kg rider so the rims would be a changeover item. Do bike shops do this I want to be prepared as I am going in on Friday and want to negotiate hard on a new package and experience on this and advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by pawel on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cervelo S1 spec up

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:48 am

Differs from one bike shop to the next. What I would be doing is looking into buying a crankset from overseas (there are some ridiculous deals to be had on Ultegra cranks at the moment). WRT Wheels, look at building up a set to suit you. Greg from TWE gets some pretty good reviews on here. If you really get down to details and know what you want, you can always buy the parts (again, O/S is probably cheaper) and get them built up locally (if you don't want to have a go yourself). You can always sell off the wheels/cranks from the Cervelo to offset the costs and may find out that you end up better off than negotiating with LBS to change it over at purchase. Worth looking into IMO.

Oh, and Cervelo. Nice 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

provoked

Postby provoked » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:01 am

Whats wrong with the wheels Pawel?

I've heard the Eastons are pretty good for us heavier guys?
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:33 am

I dont know much about the Easton but I do know the Easton Vista are at the low end of the Easton range

provoked

Postby provoked » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 am

Have a read here if you haven't already: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... px#reviews
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:14 am

I do they compare with Mavic Elites or any of the Velocity rims?

provoked

Postby provoked » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 am

Not sure about the Mavics.

Velocitys are know to be bulletproof (but heavy).

It's just one of those things. I'm around your weight, and I had issues with my Shimano wheels and got a set built (DT 1.2 - check my profile, theres a topic somewhere). Contrarily, plenty of others at my weight had 0 issues with them.

You have to make a choice whether you are willing to try the Vista's and risk getting losing a good deal to swap them out with the Shop.

Thing is, many will tell you if you are heavy and your rides aren't on the greatest of roads, not many Factory sets will be suitable.
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:52 pm

As for bike pricing what has everyone found easier to drop the initial price of the bike or throw extras in when you in the bike shop?

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:39 pm

pawel wrote:As for bike pricing what has everyone found easier to drop the initial price of the bike or throw extras in when you in the bike shop?
Extras. Markup on parts and accessories is higher than bikes. Throwing in $200 (random figure) of accessories will still save you $200 (provided you need them) but LBS will make more $.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Just saw this 2010 Trek http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/sh ... 2010-model how does this stack up against the S1? How strong are the Trek wheels also it has the new Ultegra gear.

pawel

Postby pawel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I think at my size of 110kg I should stick to top grade Aluminium, so the only other bike is the 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4 also looks very very tempting good pricing too.

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 pm

What size S1 are you getting. I would recommend Ultegra SL cranks, as they will complement the existing ultegra SL gruppo. I have some brand new ones for sale in the Market place that i bought for my S1, however i upgraded prior to fitting. 175mm cranks.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

pawel

Postby pawel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Just a note TREK 4.7 09 are on sale from next Thursday for $3399. Also saw a 09 Giant TCR Advanced 1 for $3800 very nice looking bike the sales guy was a Australian track champion rider who rides one of these he his arounf 92kg rides from Katoomba to Castle hill every day he has yet to break one of these.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 pm

stick with the cervelo and u wont go wrong....
its always a good idea to check out how the different manufacturers honor their warranties, if god forbid, u have any problems.... certainly swayed me to the cervelo over a trek... ive read some unfortunate stories about trek frame failures, and guys being shafted with their warranties... also read some stories about the cervelos cracking around the BB... havent heard too many being shafted haowever... prolly not so applicable to u if your going Alu over CF....

As for the easton vistas, i got a set on my RS Cervelo and they are rubbish. Im 90 to 95kgs, and they were soft as butter, being out of true on their first ride with me aboard.... I upgraded to a cheap set of (new) ProLite Stelvios, via a mate, and they are a big step up on the vistas. Unfortunately the stelvios havent been perfect either, with problems with the front wheel needing to be sorted by the LBS before i could use them.... i found when i loaded up the front on a climb, they twanged like the proverbial, and were out of true in a couple of rides.... since the front was serviced its been ok, and will be a serviceable set of training wheels.... but disappointing quality out of the box....

Cant comment on the FSA Cranks but the consensus is they are soft.... Mine cam ewith upgraded Dura-ace and i cannot fault them....

roller

Postby roller » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:03 am

i have this bike*

i love this bike.

love love love love love love. :D

*ultegra
inflammatory statement or idea

pawel

Postby pawel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Deed is done deposit put down finally on s1 54cm at Bike Barn Parramatta, So got the wheels changed to there spec Velocity bullet proof rims with great bearings for $3600 a bit more than I wanted to pay but I am a heavy guy and want trouble free riding plus they will spend a lot of time fitting me up next friday.

pawel

Re: Cervelo S1 spec up BOUGHT ONE:)

Postby pawel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:00 am

Well i have ridden my S1 twice now still adjusting to it after being on a mountain bike but man is it fast so stiff even with my crap fitness at the moment I can achieve 46kph without too much effort. I also bought the Garmin 705 edge GPS cadence computer fantastic piece off equipment.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:23 am

pawel wrote:Well i have ridden my S1 twice now still adjusting to it after being on a mountain bike but man is it fast so stiff even with my crap fitness at the moment I can achieve 46kph without too much effort. I also bought the Garmin 705 edge GPS cadence computer fantastic piece off equipment.
woooootah! score!
well done.. enjoy the cervelo... wise choice :)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:16 pm

pictures or its all a myth :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Now you can join Bike Barns invitation only Bunch ride am I correct? Like only customers who bought their bikes there can ride the bunch? is that true?
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Congrats on the Cervelo . I am contemplating a frameset purchase, just love the 2010 colors. Would appreciate a review of your ownership of the S1 when you can.

On a separate note ... bikebarn ... these are the chappies which made me decide to learn and do all my bike mechanical work, tried to sell me things I didnt want. Also I was chatting with them about how to ride from Parramatta to SOP, and he made a comment about how I had to buy a bike before he would say anymore. I thought he was joking, but it transpired that he was dead serious.

Cervelolite

Postby Cervelolite » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 pm

pawel wrote:Well i have ridden my S1 twice now still adjusting to it after being on a mountain bike but man is it fast so stiff even with my crap fitness at the moment I can achieve 46kph without too much effort. I also bought the Garmin 705 edge GPS cadence computer fantastic piece off equipment.
Congrats...I have a set of Easton Circuits from my S2 for sale if your interested. A well performance upgrade from the vista's.

1650g. RRP bout $800 - $900

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 am

thomas_cho wrote:Congrats on the Cervelo . I am contemplating a frameset purchase, just love the 2010 colors. Would appreciate a review of your ownership of the S1 when you can.

On a separate note ... bikebarn ... these are the chappies which made me decide to learn and do all my bike mechanical work, tried to sell me things I didnt want. Also I was chatting with them about how to ride from Parramatta to SOP, and he made a comment about how I had to buy a bike before he would say anymore. I thought he was joking, but it transpired that he was dead serious.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yup you found the place...
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;