Pannier Bags

r2160

Pannier Bags

Postby r2160 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am

Hi all

I am putting together the plan for my ride to Lismore early next year, and the subject of pannier bags has crossed my mind. I have some cheapies that are OK for work, but they are certainly not waterproof, and the rear of the bags have sagged over time and occasionally rub against the back wheel.

Any suggestions here from those people that have done some long trips. I certainly prefer panniers over a backpack. Even pics etc would be great if possible.

Thanks in advance
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

mylesau

Re: Pannier Bags

Postby mylesau » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 am

In my opinion you won't do better than Ortlieb. Don't buy them in Australia though as they are typically more than double the price you can get them for OS.

Wiggle has a good selection at great prices: Ortlieb
Last edited by mylesau on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:35 am

Something weird happening with the link in the above post - all looks good to me - Mods?

Edit: Okay - Wiggle gets an automatic link - breaks links with the word Wiggle in them though - a bit of a problem if trying to link to a product within and use the Wiggle word...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi

Whilst I would agree that Ortleib panniers are good, you don't "need" waterproof ones, so less expensive options are worth considering. Gear that needs to stay dry can easily go in dry sacks or decent plastic bags.

Regards
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:50 pm

+1 to myles. (A great name for a touring cyclist, BTW! :D ).

I have Ortlieb waterproof panniers, purchased from Wiggle, and find them to be excellent. They do a great job of keeping my laptop from getting wet, which for me is vital. Plastic bags would not cut it - having it go "bang!" in the office would not be a good look.

The only downside of the waterproof units is they are roll-tops, which are not the easiest to get in and out of quickly, and the number of pockets and compartments in limited to two plus the main one.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I made my own from cordura in 1992 and they are still going strong. I ended up with stiffener plates made of some sheet aluminium that was lying around, which is a bit heavy but keeps them out of the wheels (initially used plywood which was OK, but wore out).
Some people modify the racks to support the bag out of the wheel with pieces of aluminium or wood bolted/duct taped/cable tied/hose clamped on, which could be a cheap solutions, or upgrade to a rack with better support built in. You may find sagging into the wheels is not a problem for touring because the bags are stuffed full.
I've got a cheap dry bag I sometimes use inside the pannier for critical stuff.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 pm

+1 for Ortlieb

If you are buying some, you will get very good prices from German bike shops. I bought mine from Unterwegs. Use the menu on the left-side click on 'Radtaschen' and go exploring their 'Fahrradtasche'. They should take their VAT off your price and for a set of panniers this will pretty much cover the shipping cost.

However if you are running to a budget there are some Tioga panniers that are found in local stores that have the same material and construction as Ortlieb - very waterproof, maybe not as large and the mounts are less sturdy and easy to use.

Image Image
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 am

With panniers, the level of waterproofing is only half the story. The mounting system is critical if you want reliablilty and safety. Having panniers bounce of while riding is a serious hazard, especially if they don't completely come off but hang and interfere with the bike. I use Ortliebs and they are excellent. The mounting system locks the panniers to the rack and will not come off unless you want it to and yet its a very simple locking system. I've met other riders on tour that are using ortlieb panniers that are 20 years old and have never let them down.

I got mine at thetouringstore.com (http://www.thetouringstore.com/) in the US.

The Aussie dollar was at 93c to the US and I got a fantastic deal. I also got them delivered withing 5 days. I highly recommend these guys.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:52 am

I have to add, about those Tioga waterproof panniers, the mounting system is very secure, locking the bags onto the rack. It's just a little less convenient to use ie. two clips need to be released manually rather than the Ortlieb release handle (one handed). And the lower connection to the rack strut, while still quite secure, is a bit more 'agricultural' in its adjustability.

At as little as $189 a pair in local shops they are still reasonable value. A couple of years ago I bought a pair for my daughter for just $100, so shop around.

But if you can afford it I'd still go for the Ortliebs. When I first bought mine from Unterwegs, a full set (front and rear) were going to cost me $520 from local suppliers. I had them shipped from Germany to my door for a total cost of $360 and this also include two of the Ortlieb removable pockets as well. Bargain I reckon!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Bargain of a life time at Wiggle at the moment:

Rear Roller Classics - $144.14
Front Roller Classics - $118.37
Small outer Pocket - $32.72 x 2

$327.95 - $30 (afree-30AUD discount code at the moment) and free shipping

Total: $297.95 now that's a bargain :) [Just the Rear's cost more than that if you buy in Aus]

[These are Platinum prices, slightly more - 2% - otherwise]

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I've had a pair of the Tioga panniers for about 2 years & alas, they are no longer waterproof. The internal backing board rubs on the material at the bottom when picking up/putting down full panniers and eventually it wears through. They are still good panniers, I just put everything (especially important stuff like my external hard drive, MP3 player, books etc) into a dry sack if it's raining. Oh, and a visiting friend destroyed another Tioga pannier by pulling too hard without unclipping BOTH top clips first - must have been applying a lot of force though :shock:

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Decided that everybody cant be wrong :-)

Ordered Rear Roller Classics - $144.14

with a set of ultegra brake pads, the whole order came to $132 inc delivery.

How goods that!

cheers and thanks for the help

Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:50 pm

If you are having problems with your panniers hitting your rear wheel, you may have the wrong type of rack for the job. The rear one on my bicycle has the rear stays shaped so as to prevent pannier bags from swinging into the rear wheel. My old rack had this problem, and my cheap 1-piece tioga panniers used to foul into the wheels quite often, especially if I was climbing a hill.

Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:20 pm

I have a feeling you may be also correct. However, the bags that I have were super cheap when I bought them and they have a completely soft back. The rear of the bag now curves towards the wheel. That is the issue. However, I havent worried too much as I dont use the rear pocket anyway.

However, given that I intend to ride around 2000km over around two weeks, I am addressing all these issues well before I leave.

cheers
Glenn
-----------

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:54 pm

r2160 wrote:The rear of the bag now curves towards the wheel. That is the issue. However, I havent worried too much as I dont use the rear pocket anyway.
My old set used to have this problem. I got around it by bending the mudguard supports (instead of cutting them to shorten them) so that they stopped the panniers from hitting the wheel.

I've now got Ortliebs. I have had them for several years. There is only one minor problem to be aware of. Being one single bag and air proof and water proof without any vents, if you leave something in them that smells, it takes for ever to get the smell out, especially in hot weather, so don't carry your day old unwashed cycling gear in the panniers. :D

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.