Road Bike Update Suggestions

Bella truck

Road Bike Update Suggestions

Postby Bella truck » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 am

I am a new member to the forum but have enjoyed reading the various posts for sometime.

I would appreciate your opinions on the common question of suggested bike update. I am 45yo recreational/fitness rider. Approx 4 years ago I progressed from hybrid bike to Giant OCR3.

Most rides now are 40km to 70km (average 200km pw) but there are no races and only (B2B type) particpation events. I am looking to update to approx $2,500 with LBS offerring Giant, Trek, Felt, Avanti, Cannondale. From research, I am looking at Giant OCR C2 or TCR Alliance or similar and would probably wait for 2008 spec models to land. I have preference for Giant only because their product has been excellent to date.

My only issue is the relatively "agressive" geometry of TCR type frame feels OK on short test ride, but its hard to be sure how that might feel after a couple of hours. Is continuation of OCR type comfort geometry a better option if that has been OK to date. Note..I can "fall in love" with almost any new bike easily.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 am

I have an OCR C3 which is the same frame as the C2, and it's a very nice, comfortable frame. I have done up to 80km rides on it and the only thing I'm thinking about changing is the saddle.

Given you're not racing I'd be more inclined to the OCR range rather than a TCR. You might like to look at the Trek Pilot range too, which I have heard are slightly more comfort oriented than the OCRs.

A TCR or a Trek 5000 would be faster and lighter though, so it depends what you want from your bike.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:48 am

As you get older, so your bars will rise. I'm 51 and after 1,000 km with bars only 2" below the saddle, couldn't live with the things any more and had to raise them. They're still a whisker below the saddle and I'd really like them a tad higher, though not as high as Heavymetal who apparently rides with ape-hangers :shock: Okay, that's just me but I'm also on an american based forum for 50+ and asked the question about bar height - the vast majority, even those riding racing type bikes, wanted their bars at saddle level.

You're not in that age group yet and obviously pretty fit, so I'm not saying that's where your bars should be now, but it leads into thinking about how long you want to keep this bike and where you want to go with her.

The low handle bar position is there to reduce aerodynamic drag. That's important if speed is important, it's irrelevant otherwise. The nippier handling of a racing bike is important if you are mixing it within a group or racing. The more aggressive seating position allows more power to the pedals which is important if speed is important.

So, if you are racing or might be racing or are riding within groups where you sit along at a fair old clip, the racing bike is ideal because it is designed for that.

If however, you ride mostly solo and don't really care about the speed too much OR are happy to treat speed as something relative to previous rides (ie, you happily accept that you might be quicker on a different steed), you may be happier on the more relaxed geometry of the OCR range.

If you are planning to be riding this new bike when you're 60, I'd definitely think about the more relaxed ride, though you should also remember that there are people in their sixties and seventies not only riding cutting edge racing bikes but embarrassing fit young gits as well. You'll only know you've made the right choice if you are still grinning after a ride in ten years time and as far as I'm concerned, that grin is the only thing that really matters.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:32 pm

I race on an OCR2, origionally it was brought for commuting duties, but the bug got me. The biggest difference between the OCR and the TCR is the angle of the seat tube. The steeper seat tube will permit you to lower the handle bars further to give you slightly better aerodynamics, but sacrifice comfort.

Which bike is the right one, all depends on your body and your needs.

Oh and if your not flexible, you'll get bugger all benefit out of the TCR geometry
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm

G'Day Bella truck, welcome. :D

If you like Giants and you're not into racing, go for the best of the OCR series you can afford, just don't cut down the steerer tube so you've got plenty of handlebar height options like Mike, I've got an OCR2 (2007) and love it when the hardtail MTB isn't calling out to me.

Good luck with the hunt.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011