First Road Bike - Around $2500

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

First Road Bike - Around $2500

Postby martym » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi All,

Chasing some advice. Which bike would buy if you had the choice between the Fuji Team Pro and one of the Bianchi's for around $2,500. Or would you skip both of these and go for something different again.

I've been riding my mountain bike on the road for a little over a year and thinking it's time to upgrade. Most of the riding is generally flat and a few of us are training to complete a triathlon or two over summer. I'm 6ft, 85kg.

Thanks in advance.
martym

by BNA » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:20 pm

BNA

Re: First Road Bike - Around $2500

Postby Parrott » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:20 pm

martym wrote: I'm 6ft, 85kg.

So am I. I have an azzurri primo large frame with 130mm handle bar stem. I didn't try the xl frame though and needed the longer stem to feel comfortable on the smaller frame, with hindsight the xl would have been worth trying as well.
Parrott

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:48 pm

G'Day martym, welcome to Utopia :lol:

Assuming they run similar gruppos, test ride them both and buy the one that makes you smile the widest :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: First Road Bike - Around $2500

Postby sogood » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 pm

martym wrote:Chasing some advice. Which bike would buy if you had the choice between the Fuji Team Pro and one of the Bianchi's for around $2,500. Or would you skip both of these and go for something different again.

Some people swear by the ride quality of their Bianchi while others swear by the value of Fuji. Who knows?

Given that you are an experienced rider, your best bet would be to go out and try both. At $2.5k, Bianchi's C2C model would give you a nice ride. You should also compare the warranty of the two. Bianchi gives 3 years on the frame and I am not sure what Fuji gives.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby europa » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day martym, welcome to Utopia :lol:

Utopia? But we let you in :shock: Hmm, I guess that means it is utopia, because we allow all sorts (I mean, they DID let ME in afterall didn't they :roll: ).

Welcome Martym (typo in the name or was the 'm' meant to be there. If it's a typo, give a yell and I'll fix it for you). I wouldn't restrict yourself to those to, or have you been looking and are trying to decide between them? Generally speaking, if you aren't utterly positive about your choice, you haven't looked long enough, so keep on visiting and trying other bikes and brands - sometimes, all that searching just brings you back to your original choice, and there's nothing wrong with that. Other times, you find something you'd never considered.. At that price range, you WILL buy a good bike, so go for the bike you fall in love with.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby McPete » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi, and welcome to the mob!

$2500 is a good budget to be working from, there's a litany of great stuff out there for that price.

First thing that jumps to mind is the Cell Victor. $2300 for an all-carbon bike with a full Ultegra groupset. Not the lightest carbon bike around, but quite good value.

Another you might consider is one of the Apollo Raceline series road bikes. I'm not quite sure what you'd get for your money, but it'd probably be a Ultra/Vispo. I'm not sure, but you may get the Elite for that money, with Apollo long being touted as a more affordable brand. Find a local dealer, ask, then have a haggle, as these are 2007 models, and the 2008 range comes out early next month. You should be able to get a decent deal.
McPete

Postby bigbuzz73 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Fuji or Bianchi?....... Hmmm, a tough decision! About as tough a decision as choosing between a date with Rosie O'Donnell or !!! warning virus !!!.
There are only two types of cyclists... those that ride a Bianchi and those that wish they rode a Bianchi! :roll: (now I do my usual trick... sit back and wait for the flak! Hehehe).
Seriously, it appears that you get a damn fine bike for $2500 irrespective of brand. Against all the advice I received before I bought Bella, I didn't test ride any bikes because I knew I didn't know sh*t from clay when it came to choosing the right bike. As a newbie, I couldn't see the point in test rides as they would all feel strange after my MTB. The analogy I use is: would someone who hasn't driven a modern car before REALLY be able to pick any difference between a new Commodore or new Falcon? I doubt it.
Mate, buy the bike that the moment you clap eyes on it says, "Hey big boy, take me home"! Your gut feeling is rarely wrong. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new bike my friend.
Regards,
Wayne
Last edited by bigbuzz73 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbuzz73

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:24 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote: There are only two types of cyclists... those that ride a Bianchi and those that wish they rode a Bianchi! :roll:

On the weekend, no Bianchi's beat me in the club criterium!
OK, there weren't any in my event, but let's not let that get in the way of flak. :)

ps. there was more than one in the A-grade event and an Alchemy beat them all.
pps. I would buy a 928 with a Campag groupset and Zonda's - if only they were red :wink:
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby europa » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Bianchi? They're a type of blue tooth pick aren't they? :wink:

Richard
Last edited by europa on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
europa

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:26 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
bigbuzz73 wrote: There are only two types of cyclists... those that ride a Bianchi and those that wish they rode a Bianchi! :roll:

On the weekend, no Bianchi's beat me in the club criterium!
OK, there weren't any in my event, but let's not let that get in the way of flak. :)

ps. there was more than one in the A-grade event and an Alchemy beat them all.
pps. I would buy a 928 with a Campag groupset and Zonda's - if only they were red :wink:

Actually I've never been beaten by a rider on an OCR2 :shock:
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bigbuzz73 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:07 am

europa wrote:Bianchi? They're a type of blue tooth pick aren't they? :wink:

Richard

Ouch! :D
Hey Richard isn't the colour of Europa ... well, kinda like.... dare I say it? Bianchi Celeste? :P
Well, I guess if you don't own the coolest, imitation is ok! :wink: (over to you mate) hehehe.
Wayne
bigbuzz73

Postby europa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:45 am

bigbuzz73 wrote:

Richard

Hey Richard isn't the colour of Europa ... well, kinda like.... dare I say it? Bianchi Celeste? :P
Well, I guess if you don't own the coolest, imitation is ok! :wink: (over to you mate) hehehe.
Wayne

Not even close mate. She's a rather nice, unique GREEN!

Richard
europa

Postby daacha » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:41 am

I've noticed the Avanti ads during the TDF coverage the last few nights. Carbonio 1 & 2's are going for under $2500 with a trainer and helmet chucked in. The Carbonio's are full carbon but i'm not sure about the running gear. I'm very tempted but the Giant OCR in my bedroom is giving me death stares.
daacha

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:06 pm

europa wrote:
bigbuzz73 wrote:

Richard

Wayne

Not even close mate. She's a rather nice, unique GREEN!

Richard

Isn't that what Wayne said?Image
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby martym » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:00 am

Thanks guys. Ended up on a Felt T23 for $2k. Don't know if it's the 'best' buy but it felt good (no pun intended), looked good and allowed a few dollars spare for some gear.
martym

Postby Bluerider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 am

Congrats on buying the Felt, can't find the T23 on their website,see a T43.
I love the shape of their frames having just got one myself :lol:
Could someone post a pic up of this bike please ?
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1
Bluerider

Postby thm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:23 am

2007 model
thm

Postby Bluerider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks thm, that looks great !
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1
Bluerider

Postby thm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:58 am

Bluerider wrote:Thanks thm, that looks great !

Its sure does. There is something about a red bike I think. :wink:
thm

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:07 am

Looks nice. Especially with the frame profile - makes it stand out from the crowd a little.

Good luck & good riding
MichaelB

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:08 am

Agree. The profile of that red Felt looked slick! :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to Buying a bike / parts