Newbie to Forum and getting more serious about cycling.

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby bigbuzz73 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:59 pm

Hey GSXR,
Congrats on the new bike. V-e-r-y nice machine. Getting on a sweet road bike after riding a MTB on the tar is like jumping into a Ferrari (the 2nd sweetest Italian machine! :wink: ) after driving an AU Falcon, don't you agree? Enjoy!

P.S. I do hope that no-one takes me seriously when I crap on about Bianchis.... I'm actually taking the p*ss out of the tossers around Beach Rd, Melbourne that ride them. I'm sure these tossers are absolutely mortified when they see me riding passed wearing el-cheapo UNO jerseys!! Oh the shame of riding an Italian bike wearing a jersey that doesn't look like a mobile billboard! :wink:
Wayne
bigbuzz73

by BNA » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:01 pm

BNA

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:01 pm

bigbuzz73 wrote:P.S. I do hope that no-one takes me seriously when I crap on about Bianchis.... I'm actually taking the p*ss out of the tossers around Beach Rd, Melbourne that ride them. I'm sure these tossers are absolutely mortified when they see me riding passed wearing el-cheapo UNO jerseys!! Oh the shame of riding an Italian bike wearing a jersey that doesn't look like a mobile billboard! :wink:

Who cares! Ride whatever you want and is comfortable with. It's the engine and the health benefit that counts. Everything else are all a bit of a play.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Finally got to take her out for a spin today, it must have been 7 weeks or so since my last ride due to weather, flats, slackness, (insert other reasons here). I was pooped, need more riding and better weather to rebuild a decent level of fitness again.

Initial impressions after a 35 minute ride (distance unknown) :-

Firstly is the riding position (compare to mtb), even to the top of the bars is a height difference of 18cms and 22cm to the middle of the drops, add a bit more for the bottom.

Steering is scalpel sharp, you have to be more precise in your hand and feet movements and turning to look over your shoulder produces a change of line.

Roads become silken, with only drains and tarmac ripples moving through the frame and bars. Bumpy paths are a little more disruptive to the ride but that is to be expected in the forks at least against a front suspension mtb. It is exceptionally smooth, the gear changes are wonderful and the frame really does just soak up 'normal' road irregularities.

As a bonus, she is very easy to lift over the car bonnet :) I did a dodgy weight comparo as best I could, standing both bikes vertical on a set of scales -

Boulder SE - 15.6kgs
OCR C3 - 7.7kgs

Carbonella (or Carbonetta haven't quite decided yet) is currently decked out with a new hand pump, bottle carrier and very expensive :wink: Kmart Huffy under seat tool carrier. Pictures to follow soon.

Overall impressions so far = :) :) :) :D :D :D
gsxrboy

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 pm

Hehehe, another convert :twisted:

Welcome to the four wheeled Giant club mate :D

Have a blast! anytime, any surface 8)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:08 pm

gsxrboy

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi there, thats a nice bike you got there.

I got a OCR Comp (06 model).

Okay .. .so how did you get your bike to stand up like that? I have been meaning to shoot some "studio" shots of my bikes ...
thomas_cho

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Trade secret :wink:

Naaaw..... I used a clear plastic water bottle under the opposite side pedal, (bike only fell over once :P ..damn wind), and then just edited it out roughly after I assembled the composite picture. Even with the bottle there it isn't toooo distracting.

Lets see your ride :)
gsxrboy

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Hey thanks for the tip.

I will stage the shoot next weekend, I have some old pics but my bikes have changed quite a bit from the "stock" state!

Meanwhile here are some old shots ... nothing fancy:

image resized
thomas_cho

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:48 pm

I do like the full on carbon look :)
gsxrboy

Postby Bluerider » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:20 am

Very nice OCR gsxrboy ! Love the colour combo.....

Got to love the ride of full carbon frame, smooth for my 'ol body ! but as sharp as a knife in steering....
His Felt Carbon F5C ' 07.....
Giant MTB
Hers Cell MTB
Kids Mongoose x 2 Tricycle x 1
Bluerider

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:52 pm

I think we are waiting on your new bike pics too !

:)

Perhaps we do need a "post your ride" thread
gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Before..

After..

Pimp my ride !

Very happy with the results so far 8)
gsxrboy

Postby Halfanewb » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 am

Yummy !! :)
Halfanewb