Best Value For Money Upgrades

proud_2_be_australian

Best Value For Money Upgrades

Postby proud_2_be_australian » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:29 pm

I am currently riding an Avanti Pioneer Hybrid which i got December 2006. I am looking to buy a few things for it to upgrade it to make it better on the road and better to ride but dont have a lot of cash so i was wondering what your opinions were on what to get and in what order. I have been looking at things such as clip-in pedals/shoes and a bike computer.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:54 pm

Pedal/Shoe combinations and cycle computers are both very worthwhile items to purchase, but the (argueable) best upgrades would be a complete tune and service of the bicycle and a quality set of tyres for the type of riding that you do. This will ensure the bike rides along smoothly and efficiently which in turn makes the whole cycling thing more enjoyable. Cycle computers are relatively cheap, and keep a good record of things like time ridden, fastest speeds, average speeds etc and you can compare times from ride to ride so you can push yourself to better the previous best time. A decent pedal/shoe combination can be had for around $250 (give or take) and will improve your cycling efficiency. If this is too much, at least look for toe straps and clips to keep your foot locked to the pedal. This way you are both pushing down on the pedal on one leg while pulling up the pedal on the other leg. We'll talk about falling over at traffic lights because you didn't unclip from the pedals fast enough some other time (we all have a tale to tell).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 pm

G'Day proud2, welcome :)

New brake and shift cables and a set of Koolstop Thinline brakepads would work well. You do have a spare tube/patch kit, tyre levers and a pump?, there's nothing worse than walking home.

Torpedo 7 often have package deals on clipless shoe/pedal combos, a quick glance gave me these for a start, you could use them on normal pedals now and go for the clipless pedals later.

Bike upgrade disease is a chronic illness that has no known cure, and in the end, the sufferers don't want to be cured anyway :lol:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:31 am

Definitely shoe and clip in pedals will be your best upgrade
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:47 am

I'd do the sevice bit - if you haven't had it done since new, then shoes / pedals then tyres.
The service will tighten gear changing etc., but the rest will improve how the bike responds to your pedalling.
T7 and others have good shoe / pedal packages online - but try to get your shoe size in the actual shoes if you can.
Continental Sport Contacts or Maxxis Zeniths will make a big difference to how your bike rides on bitumen and easily handle gravel paths, but won't like going off road.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:56 am

Au