UKAI rims

Colin_T

UKAI rims

Postby Colin_T » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:09 am

Just wonderigng if anyone knows if you can still get UKAI wheels/ rims? I am after a set of 700C rims.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

ghettro

Re: UKAI rims

Postby ghettro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:28 pm

As far as I know they aren't really made any more, unless you can get NOS ones. Why do you specifically want Ukai? Are they for a vintage project or something?

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:55 pm

I had a set years ago and they were great. Lasted for years and never had a problem. All I did was get the hubs replaced every few years. All the wheels I have had since then have been what I would consider poor quality. I have had a rim separate at the seam where the two layers of aluminium join. I have had a rim crack while riding under normal conditions, (I didn't hit a pothole or anything). I’ve had rims dent and bend whilst trying to remove a tyre with tyre levers.
The Mavik/ Mavic? rims I was looking at had seams that were protruding a bit so the edge of the rim wasn't even smooth. I thought that was pretty poor considering the price. And I don't like the look of the wheels with straight spokes and I don't know if the 16? spoke wheels will hold my weight. So I was hoping to find a set of Ukai rims and stick some Shimano 105 hubs in like I had before.
However, if you know of a decent set of wheels/rims that are currently available that have lots of spokes (32 or 36, however many they have) then I will investigate that. Otherwise I might have to go to ebay in Japan and see if I can find some second hand. Anyone speak Japanese?
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 pm

How much do you weigh? As far as I know Ukai is out of business these days anyway. I have some old 27" ukais in my back shed but I wouldn't say they are any better than any of the big manufacturers. Mavic makes good rims, as does Araya, sun etc. In fact often when bigger guys ask about stronger wheels for a road bike the default answer is 105/ultegra hubs with mavic open pro rims 32 or 36 spokes which is supposed to be a bombproof wheelset.

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:51 pm

I weigh more than I should, heading into triple figures :oops:

I know I can get mavic rims from any bike shop so I will try to see them today. Do you know if someone in Australia sells Araya?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Colin_T wrote:I weigh more than I should, heading into triple figures :oops:

I know I can get mavic rims from any bike shop so I will try to see them today. Do you know if someone in Australia sells Araya?

I much prefer Mavic rims to Araya rims. My Araya rims are trashed (although they are 20 years old :oops:)

CRC is selling Mavic Open Pro rims for about $60 each.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:

I much prefer Mavic rims to Araya rims. My Araya rims are trashed (although they are 20 years old :oops:)

CRC don't ship Mavic rims outside EU. Evanscycles might. I've got some rims on order from there
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:

CRC don't ship Mavic rims outside EU. Evanscycles might. I've got some rims on order from there

Oh yeah. I forgot about that when I just ordered some from them. They have processed my order and charged my credit card the full amount of the order so I will be pretty peeved if they don't turn up.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Oh yeah. I forgot about that when I just ordered some from them. They have processed my order and charged my credit card the full amount of the order so I will be pretty peeved if they don't turn up.

I'd be ringing them then Greg. If they can't ship them get your CC refunded.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Colin_T wrote:I know I can get mavic rims from any bike shop so I will try to see them today. Do you know if someone in Australia sells Araya?

casual_cyclist wrote:I much prefer Mavic rims to Araya rims. My Araya rims are trashed (although they are 20 years old :oops:)

Baalzamon wrote:CRC don't ship Mavic rims outside EU. Evanscycles might. I've got some rims on order from there

casual_cyclist wrote:Oh yeah. I forgot about that when I just ordered some from them. They have processed my order and charged my credit card the full amount of the order so I will be pretty peeved if they don't turn up.

Baalzamon wrote:I'd be ringing them then Greg. If they can't ship them get your CC refunded.

UPDATE: I didn't bother ringing them as I have better things to do. The rims turned up in the order so I guess we were both wrong. They do ship Mavic rims outside the EU.

P.S. Nice rims too :mrgreen:
<removed by request>