Another womens specific fit problem - any suggestions?

grasshopper

Re: Another womens specific fit problem - any suggestions?

Postby grasshopper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:As expected no where in adelaide has any Felts in the 650s, or any CF WSD frames of anysize. The only felt found was a WSD alloy low end bike (sora/triple gruppo) in a Small (smallest of the 700s). Its geometry i think is similar to its CF counterpart, but alas it felt horrible to sit on (pardon the pun), and was a very similar fell to the geometry she is riding already.

Yes, it's very difficult. It sounds like 700s will be borderline, and they'll have steep seat tubes to boot which limits your ability to fine tune position without sacrificing handling. Sadly most women don't even get to try a 650, and most shops will try to dissuade them anyway - which speaks volumes about their commitment to fit. :lol: I did ask one guy once if he told his male customers to buy bikes that were too big, but apparently he didn't. :wink:

If you can get through to Cannondale Sydney and plead the case, or hope the dealer has a good relationship with them, they might help by allowing the shop to return the bike if she doesn't love it. Not sure if the Felt distributor would do the same, but it's so sad that they would launch a good range of 650s and then not make them available to try. Good luck. I'll be interested in how you get on.

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

mikesbytes wrote:Asked her tonight at the track. Steve Hogg determined a top tube length of 496mm. Both her road bikes and her track bike have 500mm top tubes. I'm wondering if the top tube lengths in your calculations may be a bit relaxed for racing? Perhaps she needs to see an expert such as Steve Hogg?

Hi - I'm the slower half of Jo, the owner of the F4:13 Pinarello race bike that mikesbytes has been talking about. At 153cm Jo always has problems with frames and the 2008 42.5cm F4:13 frame is just about perfect - top tube is 500mm and that's only 4mm more than Steve Hogg suggested (496mm). C2C is claimed at 425mm - see this link for the F4:13 geometry. We got the frame off ebay for a very good price but it actually came from Marcel at MB Bicycles in Brisbane. Fantastic service and follow up plus he threw in the carbon seat post. Marcel runs / sponsors a women's road race team and was selling off excess, last years frames. I'd give him a try if you're looking at CF frames or just for women's frames in general.

Jo's bike also has 155mm cranks manufactured by High Sierra Cycle Centre in the USA costing US$350 without chain rings. Although Jo was pained at having to discard her SRAM Red 170mm carbon cranks she really loves the extra power these shorter cranks give her, especially up hills. Plus the frame / bike fit from Steve Hogg has also helped a lot with general positioning and he recommended the 155mm cranks.

Any other info you'd like we're happy to help out. Also, I know that Cervelo make some small frames (with a different "fit" design ideal) as that was another route Jo was looking at prior to getting the Pinarello. She was also looking at custom Titanium and CF if you're feeling rich (I was sooo glad when she found the F4:13!!!)

Cheers - Stuart

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Stuart, Mike and all others for the valuable input.... It has helped immensely in us finding the right bike/fit.

mmmmm that pinny looks very nice, and ideally probably wouldve liked to have headed in that direction but alas ran into the same problems... was unable to look or sit on one and in hindsight probably a smidge above budget....

To outline what has happened since the last update, we scoured every LBS stocking the major players in Adelaide, who made frames with TTs around 500mm.... We looked and sat on all the Cannondales, Treks and Felts we could, and came very close to building up a Trek 4.7 Madone, which felt good, but only came in 105. The LBS which had one in an XS was happy to build up an ultegra shod frame for a good price, but unforunately the color scheme was the deal breaker in that :roll: I think the TT on the trek was aroun 496mm from memory. An XS Cannondale at the same LBS also felt good, but wasnt aesthetically pleasing at all, so we was ready to pull our hair out at this point!

We then had a look at the new 2010 Scott Contessa CR1 Pro in an XSmall, which felt ok, so the XXS with a TT of 505mm would go close. It had the advantage of coming built up already with Ultegra, so mucking around building it up wasnt going to be an issue. Anyway we went with the Scott which seems to have been a good choice at this point. Anyway a few weeks now down the track, the fit feels good, and the reach is adequate, with the standard 80mm stem. The bars have been lowered to the most aggressive poition, and she has been fitted in a rather aggressive position on the bike. She has not had any back pain on the new Scott, and did a 160km ride last week on it without any back pain.

Although the fit has helped immensely, refining and changing her pedal stroke/technique has also played a large role in eliminating her back pain. A big focus on the upstroke, with lots of calf and hamstring activation has also been instrumental in getting her into agood stable position on the bike, without use or overuse of accessory muscle groups, such as her lumbar extensors and Quadratus Lumborums.

She might give the Pinny a try for her next build tho however, but i dont think that will be for a few years :)

Thanks all for the help, and hopefully this thread will serve as a good reference/starting point for other vertically challenged, female riders with fit issues.

EDIT:
Interesting point i forgot to add....
The reach with the current XXS Scott frame frame with the current aggressive riding setup ended up only 5mm shorter in length than her old Azzuri with the short stem...
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Desmo

Postby Desmo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Dr - Sounds like she's got a bike that fits and all from a LBS which helps with the after sales service. Jo built hers from parts sourced from all over the place: Pinny frame and SRAM Red groupset from ebay, wheels from TWE (Sydney) and the rest of the parts came from Steve Hogg's shop where the bike was also built. Paying the dollars for the frame and bike fit helped the process of not buying a pre-built bike as she knew the frame size to start with and that Steve would put it all together with suitable stem & bars etc. Not a cheap experience I'll grant you but the frame was 50% of RRP and the groupset < $2k. The best bit is Jo loves the bike (and I've got a set of 53/39 SRAM Red cranks if I want to ditch the Ultegra compacts I ride now) - she just wants to get out and ride it meaning that the old road bike (a Carrera Cortina) which was to become the "training bike" is now almost redundant and sees most action on the rollers!

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:05 pm

woops... just been corrected, the Scott is an XXS, not XS, as she sat on the XS to begin with....

Stuart,
TBH i wouldve liked to have built one up myself from a frameset, but time was of the essense, and I wasnt keen on building up a frame that hadnt been sat on and given the royal nod of approval... At the start of this thread I wasnt even sure that a 700c bike was appropriate, but now, having appearing to have succeeded in finding a 700c of good fit, I will have the confidence to devote the $$ and time to build up the perfect bike in the future..

Someone is already suggesting that they like the sounds of building up a Pinarello! :mrgreen:

(will it ever end?!) :shock: