Advise on buying a flat bar road bike

rakhvir

Re: Advise on buying a flat bar road bike

Postby rakhvir » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 pm

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/pd/au/en-gb ... -track/Eos

how about this one???? just saw it online last night.... looks great..... seems to have great components.... seems to be well priced too....

any thoughts????

rakhvir

Postby rakhvir » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm

even the diamondback xr4....

that looks great for what it offers..

now this is getting a little too confusing:) there seem to be more bikes than i've explored.....

I think it will be 12months before i end up buying.... and by that time i'll be ready to buy a road bike:) hehe....

gnik

Postby gnik » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey guys. I'm in the market for similar bikes to commute Melbourne's bike paths & have followed this thread with interest. Have you considered wheel durability? A friend of mine bought a Scott Speedster & very quickly changed the wheels & tyres to something more robust once he realised what he had bought! I'm no expert, but are you convinced that the 20-spoke front wheels spec'd for the likes of the RS40 & Ridley will withstand the cobbles, kerbs & potholes of our fair city?

geeman

Postby geeman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Howdy,

I am in the same position as gnik. I have looked at a lot of the bikes mentioned and it is hard to decide. Looking at pics of the Progear and the MBC S2 they look
like the same bike with different stickers... The MBC is a nice bike but may not suit if you are a brand snob. I like the Scott speedster fbrs (I like the scott and orbea frame stylings over most others))but am also worried about the rims on our bumby roads.
I don't mind the Scott sub range either but they won't be as quick but may be a compromise between speed and toughness. As someone also mentioned I am biased against Giant cos every 2nd bike I see on my daily ride is a Giant. One that caught my eye was the Orbea Aneto for approx $1500. The thing with the Orbea and others like it is the MBC S2 has equal components but less sexy frame and just doesn't look as schmick.
I'm going to try and ride a few in the next few days and then decide. If it turns out the MBC S2 feels good then I may just have to get over the brand image thing.

Good luck with your purchases and thanks for all the info provided thus far.

rakhvir

Postby rakhvir » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:21 pm

gnik wrote:Hey guys. I'm in the market for similar bikes to commute Melbourne's bike paths & have followed this thread with interest. Have you considered wheel durability? A friend of mine bought a Scott Speedster & very quickly changed the wheels & tyres to something more robust once he realised what he had bought! I'm no expert, but are you convinced that the 20-spoke front wheels spec'd for the likes of the RS40 & Ridley will withstand the cobbles, kerbs & potholes of our fair city?

i didn't think about how wheels would impact my riding....

another thing to think about....:)

cycomick

Postby cycomick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 pm

geeman wrote:Howdy,

I am in the same position as gnik. I have looked at a lot of the bikes mentioned and it is hard to decide. Looking at pics of the Progear and the MBC S2 they look
like the same bike with different stickers... The MBC is a nice bike but may not suit if you are a brand snob. I like the Scott speedster fbrs (I like the scott and orbea frame stylings over most others))but am also worried about the rims on our bumby roads.
I don't mind the Scott sub range either but they won't be as quick but may be a compromise between speed and toughness. As someone also mentioned I am biased against Giant cos every 2nd bike I see on my daily ride is a Giant. One that caught my eye was the Orbea Aneto for approx $1500. The thing with the Orbea and others like it is the MBC S2 has equal components but less sexy frame and just doesn't look as schmick.
I'm going to try and ride a few in the next few days and then decide. If it turns out the MBC S2 feels good then I may just have to get over the brand image thing.

Good luck with your purchases and thanks for all the info provided thus far.

gnik wrote:Hey guys. I'm in the market for similar bikes to commute Melbourne's bike paths & have followed this thread with interest. Have you considered wheel durability? A friend of mine bought a Scott Speedster & very quickly changed the wheels & tyres to something more robust once he realised what he had bought! I'm no expert, but are you convinced that the 20-spoke front wheels spec'd for the likes of the RS40 & Ridley will withstand the cobbles, kerbs & potholes of our fair city?

I quite liked the MBC S2 when I rode it - and you are right, it's not for brand snobs. The paint is not impressive and does not have any swoopy stripes and lines to make your friends go ooo and ahhh. I think it's well setup for urban duties and those Mavic Aksiums have a good reputation for strength. Maybe the thieves will stay away from an MBC!! I think MBC specced the S1 just about right for the urban duties.

Wheel durability is high on my priority list. I certainly am not convinced that an ultra-light, narrow, low spoke count wheel is going to cut it for the urban commute, although a lot of bike salesmen will be happy to sell it you and drop the line 'it depends how you ride' - I don't know, I don't want to modify my riding style and route too much for the sake of running a super-fast roadie. As has been said here, if that is the case I may as well buy a good drop-bar road bike. However, since this bike will be used in the gritty (bike trail and average roads) real world commute, I kinda think I need to think realistically. The stock wheels on the Progear RS40 are known for falling to pieces pretty easily, unless the rider is a featherweight. I'm looking for frames where I can fit up to a 28-32mm tyre between the frame/forks. The slightly more hybrid style frames are good in this respect.

I'm very keen to ride the Avanti Blade 4.0, it looks to be specced quite well and tough - without being too heavy.

redeuca

Postby redeuca » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 pm

I have an Apollo Swift (07) FBR, and have found it to be a good ride, and robust for bike paths, sealed and unsealed, eg crushed gravel around Jells Park, and D'nong. I regularly ride Dandenong Creek, Eastlink, paths, and think you would should consider wheels with a higher spoke count then the Scott. Those paths are pretty rough in places.

The Scott S30FB is a very tempting bike, and I have seriously considered upgrading to it.

The advice of test riding bikes and finding what best suits you and your needs, and in your price range is good advice. Let your body tell you what is right for you.

cycomick

Postby cycomick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey Guys,

I test rode three bikes today... Progear RS40, Avanti Blade 4.0 & Giant CRX 1.

$949.00 Progear RS-40: Price was right and it rode quite nice, but i'm not sold on the frame, finish, and some of it's cheap components like wheels, handle bars and pedals - which is what makes it cheap.
How heavy is it? Who knows? Bike shop seemed to think that it didn't matter so much and despite them having sold so many units... They seem to be clueless on the overall weight.
I noticed some of the welds have little pin holes which may not present any problems, but it's not that cheap that i'm going to ignore it either....
Just my opinion, but my overall impression of Progear in general is that they just don't have it all together, from their website with many basic spelling errors to their bicycles.

$1350.00 Avanti Blade 4.0: Nicer finish than the Progear, m505 clipless pedals, bar ends and 11.00kg's. Honestly this bike did not feel that different to ride than the Progear apart from it just feeling more 'together' as a unit, instead of a frame with parts slapped onto it. Seemed to roll down the road a little smoother when at speed. I don't know why, perhaps the heavier wheels on the Blade have a flywheel effect? I liked the DA16 wheels for their strength, but disliked the weight of them. Probabaly a cheap wheel to repair and if you lose a spoke, i'm sure it wouldn't throw the wheel too far our of whack. Overall, I really liked the blade.... A nice combination of everything with a good finish.

$1500.00 Giant CRX-1: This is the second time I checked out the CRX-1, this time my girlfriend was with me. The first thing she said was ''It's not shiny like the other bikes''. Which is true.... it actually doesn't look that impressive! It's dark satin grey and 10.2kg's. I found the finish to be very good, the frame does not look as impressive to look as the Scott S20FB, mainly because the CRX is a more hybrid, upright style frame and does not look as racey. I found the bike the most lively to ride out of the three bikes and the difference in shifting performance was streets ahead of the other two, nice quick and sharp shifts. This bike has a totally different gearing package more suited to speed and the road compared to lazy esplanade cruising. The wheels are also suited maybe more to road, but i have read that many CRX-1 riders have found them quite ok and actually very tough despite the low spoke count and light weight. Overall, this bike left me smiling....

Conclusion... I am going ahead with the purchase of a Giant CRX-1 tomorrow. Yes, It doesn't look that impressive at first glance, but that's ok by me.
IMO it has a high level of components and you can really see some thought and proper engineering design has gone into the design of the thing... I think for this reason I found it to be more than just the sum of it's parts to ride.
I'm a little concerned about the wheels on the commute, but i'm prepared to believe what people are telling me...
It is a very low weight hybrid style frame built for commuting, with just enough speed thrown into the mix.

Thanks rakhvir for starting this thread, without it, I might not had thought about some of the options... all the best in finding the right machine for you!

Cheers

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 pm

That's great news, cycomick! Be sure to post pics in the Gallery thread! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

cycomick

Postby cycomick » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Max wrote:That's great news, cycomick! Be sure to post pics in the Gallery thread! :D

Max

Hey Max,

Cheers, will do!
Thanks for your input

Cy

notadub

Postby notadub » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:34 pm

Niceone Cycomick,
if it's not too late (or too far out of your way) PMC in Port Melbourne have some great deals on the '09 crx range.