Which shoes to buy?

Vipul

Which shoes to buy?

Postby Vipul » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey guys, I've decided to make the change to clipless pedals.
I've decided to buy the Shimano A530 touring pedal. My only question is which shoe to buy along with it. Would any shimano shoe be compatible with it?
I'm buying it online either from wiggle or CRC, so just wanted to know if the shimano shoes can work with any shimano pedals.

Cheers
Vipul

everskim

Re: Which shoes to buy?

Postby everskim » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:01 pm

You lose up to 10% of the energy transfer from leg to pedal when you use a resin shoe compared to carbon.

12% if the shoe is white

brenton289

Postby brenton289 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:18 pm

everskim wrote:You lose up to 10% of the energy transfer from leg to pedal when you use a resin shoe compared to carbon.

12% if the shoe is white

Really? That's quite alot, 10%.
2010 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

You get 5000% more power if the shoes are red.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

brenton289

Postby brenton289 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Chaderotti wrote:You get 5000% more power if the shoes are red.

5500% if it's red and is carbon.
2010 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:45 pm

-11000% if you're a poser
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Chaderotti wrote:-11000% if you're a poser

Dammmm and here I thought they made me faster

everskim

Postby everskim » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:03 pm

The red evens out the white you're at 0% - You will start to get to 2 and 3% when your shoes start to get dirty.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:33 am

Vipul wrote:I've decided to buy the Shimano A530 touring pedal. My only question is which shoe to buy along with it. Would any shimano shoe be compatible with it?

Hi

The short answer is no. The A530 is an SPD design, hence you need a SPD compatible shoe, i.e., a mountain bike shoe.

Regards
Andrew

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 am

I also highly recommend you try out different brands of shoes because different brands design their shoes differently and some will suit your feet better than others.

J
Jon's bikes.......

Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 am

I concur with most comments here.

1. Shop around for shoes. I have a wide foot and found the Shimano's too narrow. I have settled on a pair of LG's (Louis Garneaus?). They have a much wider toe section and are heaps more comfortable for me when riding as toes don't get crushed esp as toes/foot swell with exercise. Also strap systems are heaps easier to put on and adjust when riding over laces. Go for it if you can afford too. 3 strap system (+ with ratchet) is better than 2 straps.

2. Clips added about 5kmh and carbon shoes seem to add a further 2-3 kmh to cruising. Can't comment on colour difference to power outpud though as mine are black (sounds like big mistake :roll: )

3. Check shoe clips systems. Often as with the LG's there is very little difference between road and MTB/SPD shoes at a given price point. That is the MTB shoes and Road shoes were practically identical except for atted lugs to raise bed past clips to allow walking on MTB's. It is only the clip system, where screws fit in the shoe sole, that is the difference between them. I have seen adaptors for road to MTB clips but this requires a spacer system and looks a little ungainly. Buy shoes to match the clip system. For you go SPD

4. Stick with MTB/SPD clips. You find the shoes have lugs around the clip that allow for comfortable walking as opposed to the roadie shoes. If you get serious as a roadie then the next step is to upgrade then.

5. If you have MTB clips the general rule is SPD is the standard clip system and shoes/clips are standard through the SPD labelled products.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Personally, I did not find any improvement in speed when I use carbon soled shoes. The most obvious difference was comfort especially on longer rides. I used to suffer from pain in the sole of my feet and carbon shoes seemed to have solved that problem.

J
Jon's bikes.......

Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5

everskim

Postby everskim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm

I had a similar experience with shimano shoes, they were way too narrow for my foot. Tried a pair of DMT's and they fitted perfectly!

If you are buying online try the shoes first and get the exact same shoe online.

Black shoes are definitely the in thing!

I wear black boots on the footy field and nowadays stand out from the crowd of the 100's of white "twinkle toes' footy shoes.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:15 am

silkishuge wrote:Personally, I did not find any improvement in speed when I use carbon soled shoes. The most obvious difference was comfort especially on longer rides. I used to suffer from pain in the sole of my feet and carbon shoes seemed to have solved that problem.

J

Same here. I have both carbon and nylon (I think) soled shoes. I tend to keep the carbon for weekends and use the others for commuting but when I mix it up there's no change in speed.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Vipul

Postby Vipul » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks guys, I've bought mountain bike shoes (Shimano M076) + the MTB pedals (M520), as I wanted something to walk in since I'm considering commuting to uni during winter.
Just wondering, are MTB pedals easier to clip in and out than road pedals? Because, a lot of riders say they stacked it when they first got onto clipless pedals. I haven't had any stacks yet and still awaiting my first one.

WonkyWheels

Postby WonkyWheels » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Good choice of shoes and pedals. I have practically the same combo. I just got my M086 and A530 delivered on Tuesday.

It's piss easy to clip in and out. Just set the springs to the min. I practiced clipping in and out half a dozen times against a wall and off I went. I've had one incident where I had just clipped in taking off but had the stop right after to give way to a car that came out of a driveway. I thought this is it, this is that first drop that they were all talking about on the forums. As I was going down I just stuck my foot out as you would do out of instinct and the cleats miraculously came loose and I managed to saved the fall and potential embarrassment. Just a little stumble to the casual onlooker but it seemed like an eternality from that realisation that you are going down till that moment you feel your foot firmly placed on the ground :lol:

Just anticipate when you are going to stop and plan ahead. I notice that’s its easier to unclip when your knee is bent, because you have more leverage.

Not problems with hot-spotting. I don't even see how it's possible with the recessed cleat and the treads to the sides of the cleat firmly rested on the pedals.
Last edited by WonkyWheels on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

+1.

Just set them to the min spring tension. M20's are a good pedal with low risk of unintentional clip-outs, so you can get away with this. I use these pedals on moderately technical mountain bike trails and I'm very happy with their reliability, and ease of engagement and disengagement.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 am

Vipul wrote:Thanks guys, I've bought mountain bike shoes (Shimano M076) + the MTB pedals (M520), as I wanted something to walk in since I'm considering commuting to uni during winter.
Just wondering, are MTB pedals easier to clip in and out than road pedals? Because, a lot of riders say they stacked it when they first got onto clipless pedals. I haven't had any stacks yet and still awaiting my first one.

Clipping in and clipping out are second nature once you get the hang of it. Very unlikely to fall because of clipping in and out issues after a year of constant commuting. I am slower clipping in now when I use my Keo pedals since I hardly ever use them anymore. The M20 pedals are great pedals.

J
Jon's bikes.......

Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5

rakhvir

Postby rakhvir » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Vipul wrote:Thanks guys, I've bought mountain bike shoes (Shimano M076) + the MTB pedals (M520), as I wanted something to walk in since I'm considering commuting to uni during winter.

Hi Vipul,

I'm in the market to buy a new bike.... I'm also looking to get clipin's ......

how much did the Shimano m076 + M520 pedals cost? and where did you get them from??

My lbs is telling me that I can get shoes + pedals for $180... i'm not sure of the model numbers....

thanks,

Rikhi

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Funny thing about clip stacks is thet they occur when A) you least expect it and B) at a time to cause maximum embarrassment. Clip stacks are rated the same as falling into a pool, the greater the "hang-time" trying to avoid the inevitable, the greater the score from the judges. :wink:

As for increased speed, it may not be the shoe as such causing greater speed, but they encourage me to pedal more aggressively feeling more in contact/tune with the bike. The base model Shmano shoes had the greatest improvement over toe-cups followed by the upgrade from flexi-soled MTB shoes to carbon shoes. I guess its a case of feeling better, riding better.

Vipul

Postby Vipul » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 pm

rakhvir wrote:

Hi Vipul,

I'm in the market to buy a new bike.... I'm also looking to get clipin's ......

how much did the Shimano m076 + M520 pedals cost? and where did you get them from??

My lbs is telling me that I can get shoes + pedals for $180... i'm not sure of the model numbers....

thanks,

Rikhi

Hey Rikhi,

I got them from Europa cycles from Randwick (where I bought my roadie) for $180.
But you can get yourself a bargain from www.chainreactioncycles.com which comes upto $143 including shipping.