Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby ni78ck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm

just got home and box of goodies were waiting for me :D :D :D
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

GSXR1

Postby GSXR1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 am

audiboi wrote:Same here. Ordered a jersey from torpedo7, and its been 9 days and nothing's come in yet. What more surprising is that my order from Wiggle came through in just 4 days!
Similar - placed an order with T7 on 14/1, got order dispatched email on 18/1 and it only arrived today - not including weekend and Aust day it took 7 working days to get from Tullamarine to Perth CBD (and two calendar weeks from date of order)

Yet I've also previously had Ribble order that was placed late one Thursday night Perth time (so mid afternoon UK time) ready and waiting for me at my PO Box at 7.30am the following Monday morning..... :shock: 8)

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:25 pm

I have lost faith in Wiggle's "none in stock usually despatched 2-7 days".

I decided to take advantage of a discount code ($30 off item over $100) to purchase something I have had my eye on for a while. I also tacked on a few extra items in stock to get me over the free shipping price.

Took delivery of the minor items within 10 days, although I have now been waiting for my main item for over 2 months.

I will only be purchasing 'in stock' items from Wiggle from now on.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:48 am

PeterG wrote:I have lost faith in Wiggle's "none in stock usually despatched 2-7 days".

I decided to take advantage of a discount code ($30 off item over $100) to purchase something I have had my eye on for a while. I also tacked on a few extra items in stock to get me over the free shipping price.

Took delivery of the minor items within 10 days, although I have now been waiting for my main item for over 2 months.

I will only be purchasing 'in stock' items from Wiggle from now on.
I have had this happen once, but you have to remember that Wiggle is getting the stuff from another supplier, and sometimes that supplier does not have stock. If this is the case, Wiggle usually sends out an e-mail letting you know. You can always cancel the outstanding backorder as you won't have been charged for it. That is what I did when they said there was going to be a 2 month wait for their supplier to have more stock.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

clin

Postby clin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 pm

ordered a lupine wilma front light from slane cycles
despatched on 28/1 and I received it today
did they beam it across via the transporter?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Spent $350 (free postage, no priority shipping) Tuesday 26th PM AU time (AT) ProBikeKit
Dispatched Wed 27th UK Time
Arrived Canberra Tue 2nd.

Very happy customer :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am

my review of ordering through c r c - FAIL online bike store!

sep 09 - order suspension forks and various other things. receive order in dec 09 (after waiting for stock) minus forks (due to stock error). "sorry we couldn't send you all the items - we hope you are not inconvenienced" - yeah sure, forks are just optional items, i don't really need them :roll:

dec 09 - order replacement forks + other stuff. receive order in feb 09 (after waiting for stock), with the wrong shifter pod and various parts missing! ring them and receive very casual apology - "oh yeah, they should have put that stuff in - just order it again, you can keep the shifter pod (thanks - i was charged for it)."

me: "can you waive the postage fee for the next order?"
them: "put a note on the order and i'll see about getting you a 10% discount"

i figured out that 10% is less than the postage.

imo, the problem with c r c is that quality control is non-existent. i know some people have ordered items that have arrived successfully, but in my case, i ordered a fair quantity of items and rang through some changes/additions (which they accepted). numerous inventory errors and failures to act on phone order changes. be warned :)

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Wiggle - awesome, only problem i had was with a chain that took 2 months to arrive, it was one of those not in stock parts but in within 2-7 days. They mustve meant months :roll: . However, the majority of my orders have arrived within 5-7 days each time.

c r c - bought some rollers, paid via paypal, arrived in 6 days, friggin awesome

pyrrhic

Postby pyrrhic » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 am

Beware of ProBikeKit warranty...

Bought a SRAM Red groupset from PBK last year, found a split brake hood during installation - only a small split and thought I could live with it. During use it split further and required replacement. Emailed PBK with all details and clear photos showing the split had started on a join in the manufacturing mould, an obvious defect.

Initially told by PBK there would be no warranty available as it was longer than two weeks since I bought it. Pointed out to them that SRAM warranty is two years, not two weeks. Then told that no warranty as the part had been installed (like I was supposed to just leave it in the box??). Still, they promised to send the photos to their SRAM rep, and leave it up to them. I was happy with that.

Nothing heard after a month, so emailed them. No reply. Another two weeks and another email. Nothing. Two more emails with same result.

Finally cracked it and bought a replacement set of hoods locally. Had to buy two for $45, even though I only needed one.

Called SRAM in Chicago, and they offered me an email address to send them the story. I did and a week later I got an email from the Europe SRAM rep. He said he had not heard anything from PBK but was very dissapointed in what I had experienced and immediately promised to send me a replacement set of hoods that I could keep as spare.

So to date I have still heard nothing from PBK, and certainly won't be buying anything from them in the future. Shame, cause I've spent a lot there, and now they've pissed me off they won't get another cent. I'll be sure to let them know also. And I've asked the SRAM rep to bring it up with them too.

Wonder if I'll hear anything back from PBK..? Doubt it.

Be warned.

mcaulidj

Postby mcaulidj » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 am

HI,

Ordered 2 tyres and a pair of runners from Wiggle last Sunday arrived in perfect order Friday morning.

Couldn't be happier!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 pm

pyrrhic wrote:So to date I have still heard nothing from PBK, and certainly won't be buying anything from them in the future. Shame, cause I've spent a lot there, and now they've pissed me off they won't get another cent. I'll be sure to let them know also. And I've asked the SRAM rep to bring it up with them too..
i've had similar experiences with c r c. the operators are trained to handle orders, pack, dispatch. but once something out of the ordinary happens, like a warranty issue, they start rocking back and forth in their chairs with their head in their hands, pining for mummy :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:38 am

jules21 wrote:
pyrrhic wrote:So to date I have still heard nothing from PBK, and certainly won't be buying anything from them in the future. Shame, cause I've spent a lot there, and now they've pissed me off they won't get another cent. I'll be sure to let them know also. And I've asked the SRAM rep to bring it up with them too..
i've had similar experiences with c r c. the operators are trained to handle orders, pack, dispatch. but once something out of the ordinary happens, like a warranty issue, they start rocking back and forth in their chairs with their head in their hands, pining for mummy :)
Same goes for Torpedo7. I sent some stuff back and asked by email for the replacements to be held aside so that it would be available when they processed my exchange. They confirmed they had done so.

Item went out of stock and additionally they screwed up the refund/credit process. Took more than a month to sort out the mess.

FAIL.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:31 am

i suspect the reason for that is the same as issues i've had with ordering from c r c. the phone/email jockey has little involvement with inventory/packing. they promise to do this, that and the other, but in my experience, it seems that what happens with the inventory is mostly out of their hands.

i honestly reckon i could help improve their business processes, given the opportunity to sit down with them and go through it all.

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm not sure what has happened to Cell lately but I think they have lost the plot! I ordered a toolkit with a bonus book on the 31st Jan and I'm still waiting. Now maybe I've been a little bit spoilt but Cell usually get my goods to me within 1 or 2 days (and so they should, I live one suburb away!). But I still have not received my order. Ive sent multiple emails, I've opened a case hoping to stir them into some sort of action and then closed it again because they totally ignored that too. I ended up ringing last thursday and was told they were awaiting a shipment of the books and then was assured my order would be sent to me the next day - which hasnt happened, obviously - but they've taken the money from my credit card.
Ive been checking my order status several times a day and it is still 'pending fulfilment'.

What I cant figure out is:

* Why did they offer this 'special bonus book' as part of the deal if they had none in stock?

* Why didnt they inform me that the order was held up? And why dont they answer emails?

* Why not send me the toolkit and then let the book follow on on backorder?

* Why dont they have a facility online to cancel your order?

Theyve lost points big time in my mind. I might add that this means I have had things arrive quicker from the UK than from one suburb away. People wonder why we take our business overseas.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:34 pm

nikkie wrote:but they've taken the money from my credit card.
that's a problem - other sites won't debit the charge until they've dispatched.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 pm

c r c this time.

I ordered a fairly large order at the beginning of this month ~$500. Everything was in stock at the time of order. My credit card was billed, then on the weekend I noticed they have refunded all the money. Sent them an e-mail to see what is going on, on Monday. No answer. Sent another e-mail tonight. I'm now concerned I may be waiting for months for one single item to come in which is holding up about 26 other items! It looks like I ordered 2 of one item and got the last one so the other one is out of stock.

I'm going to have to call them after I call my telephone company to get the international bar off my phone. :roll: Either that or be very patient. Too bad I ordered for a friend as well...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm

i feel like i have developed some understanding of how to cope with c r c now. you need to call them - they don't bother with emails. the more items in the order, the more chance they'll screw it up. ring them up, but keep things very simple - i've tried amending the order with various instructions and the operators were very polite and agreeable, but they screwed that up as well. it's like a downward spiral, the more you deal with them :)

chill

Postby chill » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

c r c do seem to have a strange way of doing things, sometimes in a good way, other times not.

I ordered and paid for alloy Centaur levers and received the new carbon ones instead. Okay thanks.

A friend ordered and paid for an "in stock" BMC frame. It didn't arrive. He rang them and was told they were out of stock. Refund took a fortnight.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:17 pm

c r c - been good for numerous orders without any problems, then I get my latest order today. Actual order to arrival was the usual 7 days - excellent.

Not happy though - handlebar stem is missing one of the bar clamp bolts
I ordered tyres, they sent me the wrong ones (but charged me for the right ones).

Have sent e-mails, but from the comments of others I would be better off calling them.

I am curious to know if anyone has actually returned anything to them before (such as wrong product sent). Aust Post charges like a wounded bull for postage, so I would hate to think how much it costs to send 2 tyres back to the UK for an exchange.

Grrrrr!

Oh - the rest of my order appears to be ok, the tyres are probably the only real screw up. The missing bolt obviously fell out of the box before they packed it!

UPDATE: Two e-mails sent yesterday (one for each issue). One e-mail is thus far unanswered. I got a reply about the tyres requesting that I send a photo of what I received, plus a photo of the stock label. They will then send the correct tyres free of charge, plus I get to keep the ones they sent me by mistake! We'll see how it pans out...stay tuned!

MORE UPDATES: Second E-Mail reply receieved about my handlebar stem. They found the missing clamp bolt in the picking bin in their warehouse. Bolt is being posted to me. Also, I sent photo of the tyres as requested and I received another e-mail this morning saying that two new tyres will be despatched tomorrow no charge, and could I please NOT return the other ones :-)
Fingers crossed I have all the bits in the next 10 days - thus far very happy with the service levels received given the stories I have heard on here!

22/02 UPDATE: Replacement Tyres received this morning (free of charge). This time they are correct. I also got to keep the incorrect ones :-). I am still waiting on the missing bolt. The tracking number they gave me indicates it is awaiting customs clearance in Melbourne, which is odd because I am in Sydney. All my c r c packages so far have always come through Sydney, so I sent them a mail back asking if they gave me the correct tracking number. Strangely, the last time I had something held at customs was also a small package with only a single bolt in it. When it finally arrived it had an AQIS sticker on it saying it had been opened for inspection.

25/02 UPDATE: Finally have my missing stem bolt. Shipping time was shocking. Lodged Feb 11th in the UK and say for 6 days before leaving UK, landed in Australia in Melbourne for some unknown reason, got held in Melbourne Customs then took 2 days to get to Sydney, finally arriving in Sydney this afternoon. In comparison, my replacement tyres left the UK on Feb 17th and arrived in Sydney on the 22nd.
Last edited by queequeg on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 am

queequeg wrote:I am curious to know if anyone has actually returned anything to them before (such as wrong product sent). Aust Post charges like a wounded bull for postage, so I would hate to think how much it costs to send 2 tyres back to the UK for an exchange.
i had them reverse the charge for the wrong part sent to me, last night. they agreed it wasn't worth the cost to send it back to England and said they will refund me - i can keep it.

whether they do or not, from past experience, i would set the odds at 2/1.

if anyone needs a Shimano LX front/LH shifter pod, let me know :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:09 am

queequeg wrote:
I am curious to know if anyone has actually returned anything to them before (such as wrong product sent). Aust Post charges like a wounded bull for postage, so I would hate to think how much it costs to send 2 tyres back to the UK for an exchange.
I had to send an item back to the UK, I had ordered mismatched rack colours, black and stainless steel. It was $50 to send that back..... But then I looked at my Ortlieb large pouches and was about to install them on my pannier bags and I read the instructions :evil: Not suitable for panniers, oh well I now have 3 items worth $200 to send back. Posted it back for $73. Did lose some $$$, but our aussie dollar had weakened against the pound so I got a little bit more back :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 am

yeah but that's different - those were your errors, whereas in queequeg's case, the mistake was c r c's.

saywot
Location: about 5km west of Adelaide GPO (and alongside Schrodinger's cat)

Postby saywot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

My first time

tyres from a local site (by local I mean Melbourne)

enquired December '09, told to wait until mid-January

enquired mid-January, told early February

I got told early February - "so soon we can smell them" - I ordered

today - payment processed "we'll let you know when they're here"

There's a couple of people doing a run on the weekend from here to the coast, I'll have to pull out, there's no way I will be riding my bike with the tyres on it that can't be repaired by the roadside
Currently A Cenophobe
- but I'm sure something new will come along !!

EMC Etape r2.4, Mongoose Sabrosa Hybrid and a 1985 Gemini World Randonneur - decisions, decisions, decisions !

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
queequeg wrote:
I had to send an item back to the UK, I had ordered mismatched rack colours, black and stainless steel. It was $50 to send that back..... But then I looked at my Ortlieb large pouches and was about to install them on my pannier bags and I read the instructions :evil: Not suitable for panniers, oh well I now have 3 items worth $200 to send back. Posted it back for $73. Did lose some $$$, but our aussie dollar had weakened against the pound so I got a little bit more back :)
tried selling them localy?
Orbea Euskaltel ;Dura-Ace,Ultegra
Orbea Erandio-Hybrid
Catlike helmet