About to buy a 2010 Trance x1 but what size??

mtbboy41

About to buy a 2010 Trance x1 but what size??

Postby mtbboy41 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi all,
I am about to make the leap from a Cannondale hardtail to a full suspension. I am pretty keen on the 2010 Giant Trance x1 but am not sure if what size to get. My current ride is a large with a 62 cm horizontal top tube and a 120 mm stem. This may actually be a bit long for me but I haven't got anything to compare it with. I am 180 cm tall and the lbs are say ing a medium Trance would be fine. (58.5 horizontal top tube) Unfortunately they don't do demo bikes but I am off in a minute to "bash' up a mate and steal his medium for a ride. He is way shorter than me though so the stem wont be right.
anyway, any Trance pilots out there who can shed some light on my dilema??
Cheers
Jock

AlMac

Re: About to buy a 2010 Trance x1 but what size??

Postby AlMac » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 am

You're probably a medium on this basis: http://www.cyclebuzz.com.au/images/sizing-chart.jpg

...but you should buy somewhere that allows test rides.

I'm the same height as you and I would buy medium.

I've had a large Giant in a similar geometry and I don't think I'd do that for the trails on a Trance.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:08 am

I'm 185cm but with long legs/short torso and ride 62.5cm HTT in both HT and dually Cannondales. The dually has a 100mm stem compared to 120mm for the HT.

My son's Medium dually at 60cm HTT is too small for me. Much too small.

My suggestion would be to go for the Large in the Giant - it has a 61cm/24" HTT, and go with a shorter stem if you think the cockpit's a tad too long.

Going for the medium and lengthening the stem to get the cockpit to fit you exaggerates the risk of going over the bars. If you're going to err with the stem, it's better to err on the short side - less likely to end up in hospital that way. :P

Test riding your buddy's medium is a great idea. For a true comparison you need to back-to-back it with your HT.

+1 for dealing with a shop that allows test rides. Our local charges 60 or 90 bucks for the mtb's, which comes off the purchase price when you buy. I guess it's their way of managing risk.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi

I am a 180 cm and my Giant XTC 2 is a large. I was aslo recommended a medium initially but a quick ride in the car park put paid to that idea.

Andrew

mtbboy41

Postby mtbboy41 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have just organised to have an extended loan of a Trance X2 in a large. It will be good to try it on all my usual trails.