Water Bottle Cages

alanfw

Water Bottle Cages

Postby alanfw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Bout 3 months ago I decided to get a bike and do some riding after not cycling for 20 years. Am after advice re water bottle cages:

Bought a relatively cheap alum cage - no worries! However, I'm finding it a little fiddly to replace the bottle. Not a problem except on group rides - I'm concerned that transferring focus from bikes in front to position of bottle and cage may lead to an accident. So my question: are some cages easier to replace bottles than others? (It appears that the carbon cages might be more likely to guide the bottle into the spot than the one I have.) Or would I be wasting my money?

Bantam Roosta

Re: Water Bottle Cages

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:19 pm

I would say you are wasting your money on carbon. There are plenty of things you can spend your money on before worrying about carbon cages.

Plastic ones could be a cheap option.

The other option is practice. Go on a ride and pull your bottle out and put it in over and over again. Do it with your hands on the drops, the hoods, on top. I know what you mean with being a fiddly sometimes, but it shouldn't cause a problem if you are confident getting them in and out.

You shouldn't even need to look down when using it after a while.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Instead of fiddling around to get the bottle in without looking. I tilt my head down, keep my eyes up but use my periferals (sp) to look.

You can get some cheapy carbon cages from ebay for about 20 bucks.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm

I use BBB carbon look - alloy contructed cages for 3 reasons.

1) They slide drink bottles into place just fine
2) They are cheap compared to carbon
3) They actually look like carbon or enough so not to make them stand out or look out of place
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:34 pm

I use the black Lifeline ones from Wiggle at $6 each they are plastic with enough flex to make it easy to put the bottle in and out but still hold it well. Some of the cheaper ones are ridiculously hard to use esp with Camelbak Podiums.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeL ... 360036983/

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:I would say you are wasting your money on carbon. There are plenty of things you can spend your money on before worrying about carbon cages.

Plastic ones could be a cheap option.

And Fun Fact.
Plastic bottle cages are lighter than carbon bottle cages. :twisted:

But practise makes perfect.
plastic ones are easier to use, so they would not be a bad buy, but even the alloy ones should be fine.
You can also bend the cage of the alloy one so the opening is bigger, should also make it easier.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Yeah some cage/bottle combos are tighter than others, plus the ali/steel cages can be bent to make them tighter or looser.

The other thing you could look at is a bottle with a taper at the bottom. My Trek ones have a taper from just below the mid point whereas the new dura ace ones I got[for the auto-valve] are strait all the way down. I did notice Ive had to look a few times to line the new ones up, used to it now but I reckon the taper is slightly easier to use.

I use these cages on the roadie http://pro-bikegear.com/publish/content ... 20036.html I have them in white. Theres a rubber ring on the front that expands to hold the bottles tight.

Good luck with it.
cheers
Baldy

flammer

Postby flammer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm

I took a mighty gamble and spent $25 on 2 Chinese carbon cages because my bike mech said the old ones clashed. Love 'em. Don't mark bottles like aluminium. Slip in and out. :lol:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:09 pm

I've used the BBB alloy ones. Sometimes you need to bend them a little to make the bottles fit properly, but it just takes a bit of practice.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Ozchuck

Postby Ozchuck » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:37 pm

I got my hands on, during the anaconda specials,
for $5, a kind of side-insert bottle cage.
Theres two prongs that hold the top and bottom of the bottle, but the "cage" swings around on one side and you press the bottle on from the side, rather than guide it in from the top.
This lets you whack them back in with the right hand.

very easy, and they dont shake loose like I feared.
plastic bottles only though, I think.

alanfw

Postby alanfw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks for the tips - practice sounds like the most important thing. Until then, I'll just have to be careful and leave more room to the guy in front!

On a whim I bought a new cage anyway - needed new shoes and decided to spend a little more! Certainly holds the bottle better, and allows a greater range of bottle sizes to be held firmly.
Never too old to try - just too old look cool at the same time!