Campy wheel to Shimano cassette

Cousin

Campy wheel to Shimano cassette

Postby Cousin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi everyone, after any ideas on changing cassettes.
The wheels are Campagnola Neutron, had them for a couple of years with very little use.
Starting to do some more hilly work with our local club, and want to use these wheels more.
Any ideas on changing the cassette to Shimano.
The Campy cassette is about 2mm wider than the Shimano, so changing gears is not perfect.
I've been told there are no Shimano cassette hubs for this wheel, being a Campy wheel.
Any ideas without changing the whole hub, as I may be looking into another bike somewhere down the track running Campy 11, so want to keep my options open for later.
Thanks in advance, Michael

familyguy

Re: Campy wheel to Shimano cassette

Postby familyguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Stupid question #1: why are you after a Shimano cassette? Long story short, basically if its a Campy hub you'll need a Campy cassette.

Campy 10-speed cassettes are available in various ranges, even up to 27T I think. That should get you up a lot of hills.

Jim

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm

familyguy wrote:Stupid question #1: why are you after a Shimano cassette? Long story short, basically if its a Campy hub you'll need a Campy cassette.

i'm guessing the rest of the gruppo is shimano and he's had these wheels collecting dust for a while

may be able to get a shimano hub
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Cousin

Postby Cousin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Not a stupid question, Jim, when I didn't explain things properly.
I ride an Avanti with a Shimano groupset.
I already have a 12-25 Campy cassette on the Neutron wheel, but Campy cassettes are slightly wider than Shimano, hence the last gear or two don't change perfectly.
Spoke to a friend in a bike shop, he was the one that told me Campagnola don't make Shimano cassette hubs to fit there wheels, sort of understandable :roll:
The bike shop guy also said he thought there was an aftermarket cassette that had Shimano spacing, but fitted a Campy hub.
So I'm trying to find out if anyone knows of either a Shimano cassette hub to fit a Campagnola Neutron wheel, or a (aftermarket?) cassette with Shimano spacing (total width) that will fit onto a Campy hub.
Ta

M

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Cousin wrote:Any ideas without changing the whole hub, as I may be looking into another bike somewhere down the track running Campy 11, so want to keep my options open for later.

Are you even sure that the hub on your wheelset currently is 11 speed compatible?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Cousin

Postby Cousin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 pm

JV911 wrote:may be able to get a shimano hub

That's what I hope for, Jeremy. And a Shimano freehub body, just so there's no confusion over terminology. I don't want to change the whole rear hub, the cost really isn't worth it.

Baalzamon wrote:Are you even sure that the hub on your wheelset currently is 11 speed compatible?

Haven't got that far yet, Baalz. I did read recently Campy achieved the extra cog by use of a narrower chain, and hence a narrower cassette. But in relation to what, don't know that yet.

And I don't even know if I'm going Campy yet, depends on lots.

One of them is Fausto Coppi bikes

But that's a whole new thread :wink:

M

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Cousin wrote:The bike shop guy also said he thought there was an aftermarket cassette that had Shimano spacing, but fitted a Campy hub.
So I'm trying to find out if anyone knows of either a Shimano cassette hub to fit a Campagnola Neutron wheel, or a (aftermarket?) cassette with Shimano spacing (total width) that will fit onto a Campy hub.
Ta

M

American Classic used to make something along these lines, though I don't know if they still do. They were pretty expensive as I recall. I've also seen Taiwan made cassettes which do much the same, but I don't recall where - maybe Etail Sport in the UK? Google will probably help.

Cheers

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Sell the neutrons and buy some aksiums or Fulcrum racing 7 or similar - you'll get at least $100 for them which should cover about half the cost of your replacement wheels.

The Fulcrum can be changed from campy to shimano with a different freehub body. I wouldn't worry about "retaining campagnolo just in case I go 11 speed" - you're far better off with parts that fit your current bike.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Cousin wrote:Not a stupid question, Jim, when I didn't explain things properly.
I ride an Avanti with a Shimano groupset.
I already have a 12-25 Campy cassette on the Neutron wheel, but Campy cassettes are slightly wider than Shimano, hence the last gear or two don't change perfectly.
Spoke to a friend in a bike shop, he was the one that told me Campagnola don't make Shimano cassette hubs to fit there wheels, sort of understandable :roll:
The bike shop guy also said he thought there was an aftermarket cassette that had Shimano spacing, but fitted a Campy hub.
Ta

M

I did think of that, a long time after I posted the question. Like Jean said, American Classic did do a hybrid cassette.

Failing that, run the Campy wheels and a ShiftMate (yes, they're open for business again!) I had a Campy setup with a Shimano wheel that worked perfectly with this setup. Probably not a long term option though.

Jim

Cousin

Postby Cousin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:08 pm

drubie wrote:Sell the neutrons and buy some aksiums or Fulcrum racing 7 or similar - you'll get at least $100 for them which should cover about half the cost of your replacement wheels.

That's probably the sensible thing to do, drubie. But I'm having difficulties with your helmet :wink:

familyguy wrote:Failing that, run the Campy wheels and a ShiftMate (yes, they're open for business again!) I had a Campy setup with a Shimano wheel that worked perfectly with this setup. Probably not a long term option though.

I had come across the Shiftmate earlier, thanks for the link Jim

There was also a 'Campagnolo HG 10-Speed Road Bicycle FreeHub Body' that seemed to be getting around some time ago, can't seem to locate any now.
Anyone seen any?

M

fang

Postby fang » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 am

Campagnolo make two bodies to convert to Shimano/Sram.
Part WH-KX890 is 8,9,10s compatible.
Part WH-KX10 is 10s only.
These only require a 5mm allen key and a 17mm spanner to fit.
You will need to order a new lockring to suit.

Cousin

Postby Cousin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks fang, tracked a few down os
Appreciate the advice everyone

:D

M