bike for bad shoulders?

katrina02

bike for bad shoulders?

Postby katrina02 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:42 pm

a bit of history first: when i was 18 i (female, mid-forties, 155cm, slight build) bought a shogun chromolly touring bike ( a boy's frame) which saw lots of use in victoria and europe. it was quite special at the time and i still have it, but haven't been able to use it for over 10 years.

now a mum of two, i want to ride some of the railway bike paths in victoria with the family but... i need to keep as much weight off my shoulders as possible. i tried my sister-in- law's new shogun which is either a mountain bike or hybrid ( i can't tell the difference) on a 30 min ride and apart from some numbness in one hand, it seems the more upright position and thicker tyres help. is there anyone who can help me out here in deciding what i might be looking for, before i embarrass myself in the bike shop? budget is an issue, so, of course,is comfort, but speed isn't. i am prepared to look at second hand to get the most bang for my buck. is there anyone happy with the shogun (it may be the celeste, am waiting on a reply from her), given that it's not going to get a huge amount of use? or will i regret it? might i be better off looking at a youth version, rather than a ladies' version?

Missy24

Re: bike for bad shoulders?

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Shoggun makes an incredibly good hybrid

I think one of the good choice magazines voted it the best value for money for like 2-3 years in a row

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Oh and I have a Shogun Hybrid... great bike, its was my first (that I bought as an adult)

katrina02

Postby katrina02 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

thanks for the reply. i have just googled shogun hybrid, but there appear to be a few of them. some sites list the celeste as a hybrid, some as a mountain bike. can it be both? thanks for the reply. i am going giddy trying to work this out. i'm trying to amass some information before heading out to shop. unfortunately, the technical apsects go in one eyeball and out the other....someone pointing me to a good website for dummies would also be appreciated.

katrina02

Postby katrina02 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 pm

SIL got back to me: it's actaully a diamondback mou ntain bike. cost her $380, but doesn't know which one it is......more googling...
is there anyone with a celeste out there...please...

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Buy yourself a set of Nitto "North Road" handlebars. This will allow you to sit straight up and takes practically all of the weight off your arms and shoulders. You may need a broader saddle at the same time. You can transfer all of your MTB brake levers and shifters straight onto these bars and they will work perfectly.

http://harriscyclery.net/product/nitto-north-road-handlebar-411.htm

Mine are not Nitto, but I thoroughly enjoy them - I used them for the 2009 Sydney-Gong ride. Not a single problem with soreness, numbness or stiffness anywhere. They are so comfortable, I would dare to say that they practically eliminate the "need" for different hand positions. By the way - I'd riding an old MTB from the late 1980's/early 1990's which is now enjoying a new lease of life as my all-rounder.

Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 pm

katrina02 wrote:bike for bad shoulders?

no, provided it fits correctly
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->