SRAM enter the road game...

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

SRAM enter the road game...

Postby McPete » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Yep, SRAM have gone and made some road groupsets, which look to be roughly at Dura Ace/Ultegra level.

I wonder if SunTour will join the party again :P
McPete

by BNA » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:40 am

BNA

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:40 am

It's been out for a while now. But the hot one will their Red group, which is supposedly with lots of CF/Ti and may be the lightest of all groups. A number of pro riders are using prototypes of that groupset.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:57 am

The leavers use a different changing method. Tap the leaver to go down, or push it in the same direction to go up.

The leaver looks similar to the Shimano ones, but the cables route under the handlebar tape like Campy.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:20 am

mikesbytes wrote:The leavers use a different changing method. Tap the leaver to go down, or push it in the same direction to go up.

The leaver looks similar to the Shimano ones, but the cables route under the handlebar tape like Campy.

I reckon I could have trouble with that changing method, particularly when tired. I'm not sure about the other Shimano gear changes, but mine give you one change with a small push of the lever, and up to three with a longer push, and you can feel the 'clicks' quite easily and it's a very nice system. However, when I'm tired or distracted, I find I can sometimes push too hard. Not a problem when you're just changing the same dr but when it differentiates between front and rear.

But, I'd love to give it a try, just as I'd like to try Campy. Pity it's so darned expensive to experiment. I'm certainly prepared to be convinced.

As for the cable routing - considering the importance of aerodynamics, why have Shimano persisted with exposed cables?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 am

There are already reports of people making mistakes or system doing strange things. It could just be users' learning curve though.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Yeh, I've wondered why Shimano doesn't route the cable. In the scheme of things the big picture with aero is your body.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:29 pm

I'm still occasionally getting shifts wrong on Tiagra when tired :oops:

Cecil Walkers had one of their own frames wearing this so I had a look, then checked out forums and the site etc, a small inward push of the shift lever, which is similar to shimanos, releases cable. Push past the detent and you pull cable for up to three clicks. Like everything, IMO you'd get used to it eventually.

They posted a video of the internals working somewhere, :shock: clever boys.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts