Road Bike Rims - Spacer

kocho

Road Bike Rims - Spacer

Postby kocho » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 am

Hey everyone,

Nice set of forums you've got here!

I do a bit of riding from time to time and have a GT Transeo 5.0 Hybrid 2009 model bike. Now, what I was after was to put some different rims and tyres on - specifically road bike rims. I was looking at some which are 700c tyre size but it says Shimano 8 or 9 Speed Only with 7 or 10 needing a spacer.

My bike has 3 gears at the front and 7 at the back (probably not the right term) so I'm guessing mine fits into the '7 speed' with it needing a spacer. Once again, I'm guessing a spacer is a bit like fitting an alloy wheel onto a car which sometimes need spacers for older models.

My question/s is can I fit this rim onto my bike and how much is a spacer going to cost (roughly)? Would any bike shop sell it?

Thanks in advance!

- Chris.

darkhorse75

Re: Road Bike Rims - Spacer

Postby darkhorse75 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

To put a seven speed cassette on an 8 speed hub you will need a spacer of 4.5-5mm which fits onto the freewheel between the cassette and spokes. You can get these online or probably from the LBS. The main problem you will encounter is the spacing between the rear dropouts. I think the spacing on a 7 speed is 126mm and 8 speed is 130mm( could be wrong) If your bike is steel this wont be a problem as you can respace the dropouts by hand, if its alloy or carbon it becomes much more difficult (i.e dont try this at home).

brauluver

Re: Road Bike Rims - Spacer

Postby brauluver » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:16 pm

If it's this bike http://www.all-about-the-bike.co.uk/gt- ... 3131-p.asp then you already have 700c wheels on it.depending on the rim width yo may be able to fit skinnier road tyres.