Scott SUB10 v Avanti 4

wrangle

Scott SUB10 v Avanti 4

Postby wrangle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Newbie OK:)
I am getting back into cycling after 20 years (have an old Shogun 3 MTB in the shed from that time ago)
Rode a Scott SUB10 Classic today which I loved - 2009 model at $1378. Thinking of testing Avant Blade 4 tomorrow before deciding on purchase.
Seeking advice on:
1. Is $1378 for 2009 model SUB10 a good price?
2. How do these 2 bikes compare?
3. Any other advice?
I've lurked on this site for a while so don't need to enter debate on drop bar v flat bar etc etc, just seeking some feedback as I (somewhat nervously) get back in to commuting as a 40 something, comfort zone, pen pusher.
Thanks

Aushiker

Re: Scott SUB10 v Avanti 4

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi

Moved to buying a bike sub-forum.

Andrew
Andrew

macski

Postby macski » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi wrangle - I'm not an expert by any means and have recently got back into cycling myself. But I recently went through the same decision-making process as you and bought the Avanti Blade 4 (which I love). But it really depends on which bike feels better to you. I thought the Sub was a bit too heavy and I also wanted a flat-bar that was geared more like a road bike than a mountain bike. My advice would be to take the Blade for ride and see if you like it.

wrangle

Postby wrangle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey Macski, thanks for your response. I have today picked up the Scott Sub10 classic. Took the Blade 4 for a pedal and thought it was a great bike. Settled on the Scott because it overall felt better to me as you suggest (perhaps cos Im an *old* MTBer). Also I think Im more of a recreational, bike track and passive commute kind of rider but I reckon the hard thing really tho is getting back into riding after 20 years out of the saddle and making sure I actually do ride the thing! If I do I suspect a road bike and a MTB purchase is about 12 months away. First big ride Australia Day afternoon tomorrow so here goes...

macski

Postby macski » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey wrangle - the best choice is the one you love and will ride :)

Hope you have many hours of fun on your Scott sub but the BAD (Bike Acquisition Disease) is almost inevitable