Insulated water bottles?

kukamunga

Re: Insulated water bottles?

Postby kukamunga » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

The bike shop I work in just got in those insulated Camelback bottles today, if anyone is interested - dunno the RRP as yet.....

Hasn't anyone heard of putting a stubbie holder around their bidon ? :roll:

Or one of these ?
With a stubbie holder on, it fits nicely in a bidon cage, and keeps my tea and coffee hot (and drinks cold) for hours on end - and the 'pop top' don't leak. Cost $22 locally

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm

damhooligan wrote:But the 150 ml extra before the start doesn't work because i usually have a drink before the start anyway...
And most people would have 2 bottles, so that's a 2x150=300ml difference when riding on the bike.
And on a longer ride when you need a refill* , that's more then half a liter difference...
And on a even longer ride it would be almost a liter...sounds more then a mouthfull to me...

So just drink an extra 150ml before the start ...

And refill more often, so what?

Actually, I would think there's no point carrying 2 insulated bottles, because by the time you need the 2nd bottle, the water's tepid anyway so the 2nd bottle may as well be a normal one (or even an oversized one, to make up the difference, not that it matters ...)

And for a really long ride, carry a hydration pack ...

Sounds to me like you are trying to come up with excuses for not wanting one. Sure, you don't actually need one, but it's nice to have ...
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Nooby McNoob

Postby Nooby McNoob » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:23 pm

I was out for 4 hours on Saturday morning, had only drunk half a bottle of Pump water and half a pre-mix of Gatorade.

I plan on having one frozen (whatever % of bottle) with the other containing power/gatorade.

Just an added luxury for rides.
'10 Orbea Udana

acw

Postby acw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Based on some people's top review of the CAmelback Podiums, I had to order a couple from Wiggle - and then spent another $100 on essentials :D to get the free postage!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
damhooligan wrote:But the 150 ml extra before the start doesn't work because i usually have a drink before the start anyway...
And most people would have 2 bottles, so that's a 2x150=300ml difference when riding on the bike.
And on a longer ride when you need a refill* , that's more then half a liter difference...
And on a even longer ride it would be almost a liter...sounds more then a mouthfull to me...

So just drink an extra 150ml before the start ...

And refill more often, so what?

Actually, I would think there's no point carrying 2 insulated bottles, because by the time you need the 2nd bottle, the water's tepid anyway so the 2nd bottle may as well be a normal one (or even an oversized one, to make up the difference, not that it matters ...)

And for a really long ride, carry a hydration pack ...

Sounds to me like you are trying to come up with excuses for not wanting one. Sure, you don't actually need one, but it's nice to have ...

I'm not looking for excuses, just giving my p.o.v.

When comparing the bottles , the content is not the same, so I carry less fluids with me when on the bike, and i'm not always in a position to stop and refill,
or I don't wanna stop for a refill. (carrying less means stopping more often)
And as for before the ride drinking comment: i can do the same with both bottles, so there wil stil be a 150 ml difference...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:34 am

We have both the Podium bottles and the insulated ones. I'm quite happy with warm water and always drink it straight from the tap so the normal bottle is fine for me. Mr Moo however is a fan of cold water with ice. He'd be lost without the insulated bottle and has sworn never to use anything else. Each to their own.

I didn't think there was a such a huge difference in size. I have the smaller podium bottles and they are shorter than the insulated one, but carry a bit more - certainly not 150ml. Are there 2 sizes to the podium ones? Tall bottles don't fit in my 2nd cage easily so I get short ones all the time.

Another point to note is that they clean so easily. I hate it when you can't clean a bottle properly!!

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:16 am

damhooligan wrote:When comparing the bottles , the content is not the same, so I carry less fluids with me when on the bike, and i'm not always in a position to stop and refill,

How long do you ride, in what conditions, and how often do you refill?

I'm only asking because I have ridden over 130 kms without refilling on 2x600ml bottles. In fact, I never refill on any of my rides (up to 100km). There's only been one time I wish I could refill, but in the end just cycled for another 15 or so minutes and got home.

The standard bottle size [you know, the ones pro riders drink from ...] is only 600ml, it's only the oversized ones that are 750ml. Basically the insulated ones have the same capacity as standard bottles (but obviously bigger due to the insulation).
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Nooby McNoob

Postby Nooby McNoob » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:04 am

Just to clarify, I would rather warm water than none. I'm not soft like that. :P

On the other side of the argument, if I were to not get these, what would be a good option? For just normal water bottles.
'10 Orbea Udana

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:57 am

Christine Tham wrote:
damhooligan wrote:When comparing the bottles , the content is not the same, so I carry less fluids with me when on the bike, and i'm not always in a position to stop and refill,

How long do you ride, in what conditions, and how often do you refill?

I'm only asking because I have ridden over 130 kms without refilling on 2x600ml bottles. In fact, I never refill on any of my rides (up to 100km). There's only been one time I wish I could refill, but in the end just cycled for another 15 or so minutes and got home.

The standard bottle size [you know, the ones pro riders drink from ...] is only 600ml, it's only the oversized ones that are 750ml. Basically the insulated ones have the same capacity as standard bottles (but obviously bigger due to the insulation).

To this I would say CT,that you need to look at the weight you are losing during a ride...if it is between 1-2% then that is acceptable...if it is over 2% then it is not.
100 km at a good pace is 3 hours...if you were very well hydrated at the start of the ride then you may be ok for 3 hours...but in Australian conditions I think you should be drinking at least one 600ml bottle per hour...even when you don't feel like drinking.
Obviously it depends a lot on conditions (and your size)...but even in freezing conditions I would be going thru two bottles (usually a 750ml and 600ml) in a 100km ride.
PS:I would also be putting very warm liquid in the first and boiling in the 2nd and carry them on my body...but then my conditions aren't exactly Australian :lol: .
Try the before and after measurement...very easy to do and pretty accurate...you will be losing a lot of power once your body weight drops by 2% due to fluid loss.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:22 am

toolonglegs wrote:To this I would say CT,that you need to look at the weight you are losing during a ride...if it is between 1-2% then that is acceptable...if it is over 2% then it is not.
100 km at a good pace is 3 hours...if you were very well hydrated at the start of the ride then you may be ok for 3 hours...but in Australian conditions I think you should be drinking at least one 600ml bottle per hour...even when you don't feel like drinking.

I tend to do 70-90km at 30 km/h, so total time under 3 hours, so 2x600ml is just right, provided I hydrate before and right after a ride. Weight loss after a ride is usually around 1 kg which is around 1.5%.

When I did my 136 km ride, I had a stop halfway through, so got hydrated there.

I'm not trying to be macho or anything, but I do have a phobia about drinking unboiled water. I do fill up one bottle occasionally, but thank goodness I have never resorted to drinking from a refilled bottle.

If I was doing a longer ride, I'll take my insulated hydration pack! :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

sixx wrote:
Ant. wrote:You're in Melbourne, different people have different summers.

I live in Melbourne too, and I'm pretty sure all Melburnians have the same Summer.

Could be wrong though.

Ahh, but Ant is in Perth .... hence his/her point.

Andrew
Andrew