helmets

yurl

helmets

Postby yurl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm in the market for a new helmet.
my old helmet's foams have disintegrated and started leaving gunk in my hair after rides.
my question is whether its worthwhile to invest in a more expensive helmet like a proper road helmet $100+ or stick with the basic leisure models.
my old helmet was a basic model Bell and I had no complaints about it. my rides are commutes to work (about 15k each way) and a longer ride once in a blue moon.
are there noticable differences in comfort with a more expensive helmet? or won't I notice on the short rides that I do?

EricAdams

Re: helmets

Postby EricAdams » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:06 pm

yurl wrote:I'm in the market for a new helmet.
my old helmet's foams have disintegrated and started leaving gunk in my hair after rides.
my question is whether its worthwhile to invest in a more expensive helmet like a proper road helmet $100+ or stick with the basic leisure models.
my old helmet was a basic model Bell and I had no complaints about it. my rides are commutes to work (about 15k each way) and a longer ride once in a blue moon.
are there noticable differences in comfort with a more expensive helmet? or won't I notice on the short rides that I do?

Actually most road helmet (more expensive ones) do provide better padding and are cooler.

However, you need to understand that most of the $200+ helmet
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=H0079
like the above ones (it is the cheapest money to perfromance model, same model in famous brand like Giro may up to $160) are designed to ventilate at 30+km/h and are lighter, if you do not ride fast enough, say only 20km/h, over $100 helmet will be great but no point going for $150+ helmet as you will not feel any significant cooler and the weight saving is too little.

Helmet is a personal thing, you may want to try in LBS to see if it suit your head well.
A good road bike is like an art work so as a good fountain pen. Gears like the the nib may need replacement over time, however a good frame was made to last ages.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 pm

To me the key point is you're only doing a 15km commute. For that distance any helmet that feels comfortable would be fine. After all it's only 25mins. Good airflow is important, but as you said, it's a shortish ride, and not very often you do long ones.

Finding one that is adjustable is better - not only for fit, but you can wear hats, bandana's or cold weather protection under the helmet and adjust the size to still be snug.
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

utopia

Postby utopia » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm

get a basic leisure model otherwise it will be 1 more thing to worry about when you lock your bike.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:49 pm

i got an 'ironman' helmet from target, it does the job quite well and cost $30.

Cranky Jim

Postby Cranky Jim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Yuri,

When you say your helmet's 'foams' have disintegrated, are you talking about the paddings or the actual polywhateveritis that forms the body of the helmet ? If it is just the paddings you can buy replacements for those that velcro on. I have a Bell Metropolis and the paddings are certainly replaceable.

Always sad when you have to retire your helmet. It's like an old friend.

Rider123

Postby Rider123 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi,

I am also in the market for a new helmet. I've done about 2,000km with my K-mart 'mountain bike-style helmet'.
I've got a road bike so i would like to get a 'road-bike' helmet.
I have tried a couple of helmets on at my lbs. They have 'lazer' and 'bell' helmets.

My average ride is 50km and I do go on club groups during the weekend (60-70km).
The helmets I have tested in my lbs are about 5 times as much as my k-mart helmet. The helmets are about $100-$200.They are a lot lighter and feel more comfortable.
I was just wondering if there is any point in spending over $100 on a new helmet. (etc. Would the helmet offer better protection? Would it make me faster?)

Thanks

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm also in the market for a new helmet. I don't mind paying a premium for quality and comfort but I'm amazed at how there appear to be very few helmets with strong yellow in the colour scheme. My guess is that I'm in a minority who go for yellow in a helmet....... C'mon Giro, I want a Ionos or even an Atmos in full yellow please.......... :roll:

I work on the general rule that you pay for what you get - a generalised rule with occasional exceptions. If you have a 10 buck head, buy a 10 buck helmet......??
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

chill

Postby chill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 pm

More money just usually means lighter, more vents, better fit system etc. It doesn't necessarily translate to "safer". All helmets in Australia have to meet guidelines.

I use Specialized because of the horizontal vent at the front. It keeps me cool and no more sweat dripping into the eyes. I like them so much I have two, a Propero and S-Works.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Yellow enough?

MET Stradivarius 2
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

chill

Postby chill » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:00 am

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 am

Redbull - Yes, that's plenty yellow, ideal for me, but I can't find one in Australia.......

EDIT :- Ok, I see this one at the Bike Barn / Parramatta - thanks, I need to get out more.....
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

yurl

Postby yurl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:00 pm

@EricAdams,ruscook,utopia
Thanks for the advice. I'll just get a leisure helmet that's comfortable.

@Cranky Jim
the padding is decaying. the helmet is still structurally sound. it is a shame. its a really old model (Bell Oasis) I looked around for replacement pads but couldn't find any.

macski

Postby macski » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:08 pm

yurl - I recently did a cycling course through pedal power in the ACT and one of the important issues they mentioned was that helmets should be replaced at least every 3 years because the polystyrene deteriorates. Apparently the manufacturers advise every 2 years now but you might expect that!

So even if you could get replacement pads you probably shouldn't.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm still not used to the Catlike look.

I have a $50 Big W job, an octane. Recently replaced the padding after six months use, and pulled the sun visor off because it was getting in the way, and it's like a new helmet. I reckon it'll be good for another year or so, unless of course it gets um, broken.

RobertFrith

Postby RobertFrith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm

yurl wrote:the padding is decaying. the helmet is still structurally sound. it is a shame. its a really old model (Bell Oasis) I looked around for replacement pads but couldn't find any.

If the padding is phut it's probably time for a replacement. The high impact foam has a use by date too.

Cranky Jim

Postby Cranky Jim » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:44 pm

The claim that that helmets should be replaced every year or two is totally unsubstantiated. High impact polysytrene is not biodegradable and takes hundreds of years to decompose in the environment (one very good reason NOT to dispose of your helmet every other year). While the structure integrity of polystyrene helments can be compromised by heavy impacts these impacts need to be substantial (i.e. hit with a hammer, not drop it on the floor).

The claim that helmets should be replaced regularly is a marketing device. One Italian helmet manufacturer, MET, broke the mould (pardon the pun) by admitting in their 2010 catalogue,

"We are often asked 'For how long is a helmet safe?', or 'how often should I replace my helmet?”' Until now it has been difficult to find any reliable figures to help answer these queries. MET have now developed a series of tests which are conducted on aged helmets to determine a 'best before' date (unless the helmet is involved in an accident. In that case it should be replaced immediately.). The results indicate that, if used properly accordingly to our owner manual, our helmets will still do their job up to eight years after they have been made. Not only is that good news for the customer, it’s great news for the environment!"

Think about it people. This is high impact polystyrene we are talking about. It's tough stuff. That's why they make bicycle helmets out of it. The stuff is an environmental menace because it refuses to degrade. And the claims that it 'degasses' and become brittle is just poppycock.

For further information go to Bicycle helmet Safety Institute

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 am

yurl wrote:the padding is decaying. the helmet is still structurally sound. it is a shame. its a really old model (Bell Oasis) I looked around for replacement pads but couldn't find any.

Blow the padding off completely. My padding decayed away a year ago and it still fits fine. Fits snugly with my skull cap too.

ajs18s

Postby ajs18s » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 am

Cranky Jim, i think you are spot on....Also note that when you buy a new helmet some brands no matter how much you pay,they dont have replacement foam pads,but you can go to a shop like Clark Rubber and buy "low density foam" and cut a rough shape and glue in place. Works fine...

utopia

Postby utopia » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 pm

the good thing about expensive helmets is that they look much nicer, the cheap ones tend to look like a esky covered by coloured plastic.

william

Postby william » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

-

Spoil yourself and buy a new helmet. If you don't deserve it, who does?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

chill wrote:More money just usually means lighter, more vents, better fit system etc. It doesn't necessarily translate to "safer". All helmets in Australia have to meet guidelines.

Hi

Helmet.org is a good read for thoughts on helmet design (read shapes).

Andrew

william

Postby william » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 pm

I've read that and others when choosing a new helmet. I found they tend to shy away from helmets that are more "trendy" with high levels of marketing hype. Facts are they're right. The majority of the helmets despite the price will protect your head almost equally. Where they differ is in shape and fitting to YOUR head.
Flashy colours and style are ok if you want that. Some offer spare pads as part of the deal. Some talk of softer straps and easily adjustable. Once you have it adjusted though you rarely adjust it any more.
Big air scoops also scoop more than air... Beware!
Also put it on and stroll around the shop awhile to check for hot spots and put your favourite glasses on with it to make sure it clears the straps or not push down on your ears or nose.
These checks in the shop will save huge amounts of discomfort on a longer ride and avoid that wishing for the better helmet.

regards,

william.