Bianchi v's Trek v's Scott

bikebandit

Bianchi v's Trek v's Scott

Postby bikebandit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi All

I have been researching high and low on the forum, on the net and in the shops on what bike to buy.

I have narrowed my search down to 3 bikes that I like

Bianchi C2C cento strade with Campy Veloce http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Bianchi+Cent ... &s=333446&

Trek 2.5 with Ultegra http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/2_series/25u/

Scott CR1 Contessa with Ultegra http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/product/8 ... sa_cr1_pro

I'm a bit worried that I like the Bianchi, well, because it's Bianchi (looks pretty bloody good) but that the Veloce components are not as good as the Ultregra

Can anyone please give me their opinion on what is the best bike? I have ridden all of them and can't decide, i know that everyone says it boils down to what they personally like, but i personally - like them all!! help me...

chill

Re: Bianchi v's Trek v's Scott

Postby chill » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Well personally I would always go with the best frame. You can always upgrade parts later on.

Out of that lot I like the Bianchi too.

Are you female? The Scott Contessa looks like a women specific frame.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 am

If you're a carbon poser, then rule out the trek as thats aluminium. 8)
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:41 am

chill wrote:Well personally I would always go with the best frame. You can always upgrade parts later on.

+1
One of the three must be lingering in your thoughts a little more than others, if it's the Italian, go for it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

EricAdams

Postby EricAdams » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 am

Why do you think:
"Veloce components are not as good as the Ultregra"?

I think Veloce is the same level as Ultregra, but only not as good as Ultregra SL. This is because you have to consider the fact that Campy can rebuild, Shimano cannot!
My old Titanium Record still running smooth until today after 7-8 years, most Shimano group set will not last more than two seasons of club level trainning and racing.

Bianchi and Trek build good frame. I currently own two Bianchi as I do not ride carbon bikes and they are the only few brand name still offer top of the range (HoC) alloy race bike. Trek also very nice but their carbon frame seems got some warranty problem. I got no experience of Scott, but it has a good reputation and I do believe many people may have that experience.
A good road bike is like an art work so as a good fountain pen. Gears like the the nib may need replacement over time, however a good frame was made to last ages.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

I have owned a Bianchi C2C and felt the geometry was comfortable. Their frames are not bad but I would still go with the Trek because I feel that their frames are better. It is true you can rebuild Campag shifters. My Centaur shifters was just sent in for a service after 35,000km. It felt a little loose about 7,000km ago and got progressively worse with time, but its finally dead now and got it rebuilt. Cost me $180 to get this done. My previous rebuild was only $80 so the price can vary. For $180, you might be better off getting a whole new groupset with updated components.

Shimano shifting is also quieter. Personally, I prefer Campag shifting, but feel that shimano is more affordable and convenient for commuting.

J
Jon's bikes.......

Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm

The new 6700 Ultegra is beautiful - better than last year's DA from what I've been told.
The Trek is a nice bike - my mate's had his 1.9 for 2 years now, and it's been a flawless bike.
The Scotts are apparently for feather weights from what I've been told by a bloke in my LBS.
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

caboose

Postby caboose » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:39 pm

I think the Bianchi.

I've wrestled with a similar dilema recently (Pinarello vs Giant) and the heritage of the Italian (but really made in Taiwan) sold me on the PInarello.

If as you say the bikes all feel good, choose the one you like the look of the most.
Or, choose the one whos LBS guys were the most helpful to you.

My choice:
1) Banchi
2) Trek

I would choose the Scott due to that awful lairy colour scheme

misterpms

Postby misterpms » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:40 pm

Chaderotti wrote:If you're a carbon poser, then rule out the trek as thats aluminium. 8)

Mostly Aluminium. I have last year's 2.5 and it has a carbon fork and seat stay as standard. My drivetrain is a bit of a mongrel (Ultegra, Ultegra SL, SRAM etc.), so can't comment on the performance of the stock set up. Overall I'm really happy with the bike, it suits my level of riding well.
2009 Trek 2.3
2008 Avanti Blade 8

creux

Postby creux » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Scott hands down.

Treks are for LA saddle sniffers.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 am

Bit like asking someone what you should ask for for Christmas :)

If you like the ride of all, then go with the one YOU think is the best looking. I ride a Scott CR1 - fell in love with one I saw so ordered mine the next day. Didn't even know if it would fit. 3 years on the gearing, bars, and wheels have been upgraded and I still think it is the best looking bike I've seen for under $10k. In my opinion.

I don't like the look of any Treks - for some reason they don't appeal to me. In saying that, I have a Trek MTB which I hate (I hate all MTBs so don't panic) and I don't know whether this swayed me away from the brand originally. I did like the red paint job on the linked one though. I'm a carbon freak too (ask anyone) so wouldn't get alloy ever.

I'm also not a huge fan of Bianchi's. I hate the colour, but with the newer ranges coming out in white and red/black, I'm taking more notice.

The comfort of the shifters should come into it. Not only the positions of the uppy-downy levers (sorry :) ), but the shape of the hoods. Many people with smaller hands prefer Campy hoods. I prefer the shape and shifting of Shimano. Its a personal thing and maybe a 30 minute test ride on each is required. Each is a good frame from a reputable manufacturer.

So...sorry, but I feel I've just added another personal opinion to the mix :P