Saddle Swap and Try

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Saddle Swap and Try

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:14 pm

You can blame Kalgrm for this one, it being his idea.

Saddle Swap and Try

Saddles are a very personal thing and what suits one bottom may be unbelievable torture to another. The only way to find out if a saddle works is to sit on the thing ... for quite a few kms. Strangely, bike shops are reluctant to give you a saddle for a quick 100km test ride :roll: So some of us who have spare saddles have offered to lend them to other forumites to try.

Obviously, this will work on trust. We here at Bicycles Network Australia have no ability to control this or to recover lost saddles ... though abusers of this may find their priviledges on the forum severely curtailed.

It works thusly:

- people with a saddle they don't mind lending to a total stranger, place a post in this thread stating where they are and what the saddle is

- the owner of the saddle is free to refuse any request for a loan for any reason and need not give that reason

- people who wish to test ride a saddle, Private Message (not post on the open forum) the owner and negotiate the whole business.

- the borrower of the saddle will be responsible for all postage costs

- the owner of the saddle may not ask for any money for the loan (it is a free service)

- this is a loan service, not a sales service. You may offer to buy the saddle from the owner and he may take you up on the offer, but you may nat make the loan conditional on a sale, all loans are unconditional.

Because this operates on trust, and in general, the only way we have of knowing other forumites is through their posts on the forum, I strongly recommend that loan saddles only be available to people with established records on the forum or who have a saddle available for loan. This is not a hard/fast rule, the owner of the saddle is free to loan it to whom he pleases, but I suggest that new members don't ask as refusal can offend.

Richard
Admin
Last edited by europa on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

by BNA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:16 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Righto kiddies, we're open for business. If you wish to make a saddle available for loan, please post a note about it below. If you wish to discuss the idea, do it in the discussion thread (the old thread) please

Richard
europa

Postby europa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Bontrager Race Lux

As you can see, she's your typical, platform style racing saddle, standard equiptment on many Trek bikes but not shown in the Bontrager catalogue so may not be available for individual purchase.

I find it supports well and is comfortable apart from one problem - the edge of the saddle chafes my thighs and after a couple of hours in the saddle, this can get a bit sore. However, that might just be me and my fat thighs.

Because this is such a popular saddle, it's for loan in Adelaide only and on a pick up only basis.
This saddle is not for sale.

Richard
europa

Postby europa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Come on you lot. You wanted. It's here. Where are the ads from the people interested in loaning saddles?

Richard
**grrr** :D
europa

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:48 pm

europa wrote:Come on you lot. You wanted. It's here. Where are the ads from the people interested in loaning saddles?

Richard

:cry: :cry:

Have sore bum, want to try something different ....
MichaelB

Postby europa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:
europa wrote:Come on you lot. You wanted. It's here. Where are the ads from the people interested in loaning saddles?

Richard

:cry: :cry:

Have sore bum, want to try something different ....

Thank you for that, you're riding the saddle I'm advertising :roll:
What's the problem with yours, same as me?

Richard :D
europa

Postby Wanta-bike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:01 pm

i'm actually using THAT Bontrager Race Lux saddle on me mtb. i reckon its a fair good base level seat. i've done enduro mtb events (100+ km's, 6/12 hr races) on it and me bum has been pretty good thru'out - no chaffing or anythin.

but then again, maybe this wont be the case for u....

anywho, i'd recommend this saddle!
Wanta-bike

Return to Buying a bike / parts