Annaconda

Aushiker

Annaconda

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:47 pm

G'day

Dropped into the new Anaconda store in Joondalup, WA and took a look around.

All the bikes where mountain bikes. The brands where Fluid and Jamis (never heard of them) and some $2000 + (and cheaper) Kona bikes.

The gear range was quite interesting with the range running including Fluid, Tioga, Netti, Sigma, Topeak, Tioga, Park Tools, Shimano and Cateye.

Seems, looking around the store they try to cover a range of product in the various categories.

Prices seemed to pretty much inline with the LBS/Australian online stores but they do off special "Club" catalogue specials which are more competitive.

What grabbed me was the size of the store (think Bunnings) and the range was bigger than I expected.

I think but I would still prefer to shop at the LBS and/or online unless I knew exactly what I wanted.

Regards
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Typically American styled sports store. Think Sports Chalet and the like. We are getting more and more of what the Yanks have been having for a decade or two. Gone are all the local ma and pa stores.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:11 pm

We just had an Anaconda open near my place.

Funnily enough, it is right next door to a Bunnings !!!!

Haven't been in yet, but from the cattledog, seems to cater to the off-road market more than road bikes, but sstill will have a peep one day.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:35 pm

The Joondalup store is also right next door to Bunnings!! I wonder...

We live nearby and have been getting a lot of opening special blurb in the mailbox. They have advertised some road bikes...but I wouldn't buy one. Jamis is apparently a "known" brand and this month's Ride mag has a review of one of their road bikes if I remember correctly. The price says it won't be in this store though :shock:

Sounds like it may be worth dropping in for a look though as they may have some cheaper consumables.

There is also a bike shop near there which is only new apparently...I'll have to check it out.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:36 pm

MichaelB wrote:We just had an Anaconda open near my place.
Where's that Michael? I'd like to check it out ... so I can come on here and be rude about it :roll:

Actually, it'd be interesting to see how a big store goes - Bicycle Express more or less have the 'all singing all dancing' store covered, and they give damned good service to boot. They aren't local enough for me to use them as my lbs but when it comes to going further afield they are on the top of the list ... and they have my money to prove it.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:39 pm

europa wrote:Where's that Michael? I'd like to check it out ... so I can come on here and be rude about it :roll:
Not Michael but the address is:

Homemaker Center
Unit 21, 121-150 Railway Terrace
Mile End

According to the mailer they are "proudly Australian family owned."

Regards
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:40 pm

It's next to the Mile End store (in the new retail precinct) and the easiest access is off Railway Terrace.

I bought my new shoes from Bicycle Express. The store has heaps (especially in the way of bikes) but is a bit disorganised for my taste, and also at the premium end of prices too.

I must have an untimed wander through there one day .... :roll:

europa

Postby europa » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Ah ha, I know the place. They were advertising dirt cheap longs recently (my Mum told me about them but didn't have the name).

Richard

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:42 am

MichaelB wrote:We just had an Anaconda open near my place.

Funnily enough, it is right next door to a Bunnings !!!!

Haven't been in yet, but from the cattledog, seems to cater to the off-road market more than road bikes, but still will have a peep one day.
That's nothing, our Anancondor store is IN the old Bunnings store.

Bit of advice, never buy anything there until they have a sale and also join their club. You get special discounts and the occasional $10 gift voucher posted out to you.
I think we can do better. I KNOW we can do better.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:26 pm

The only one I know of in brissy is next to IKEA. I wonder if I can con my other half for a trip down to IKEA so I can have a look in Anaconda :P .

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

khendar

Postby khendar » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:25 pm

I went and checked out Anaconda Mile End tonight. As has been said they stock mostly Fluid products, and they had massive discounts on them. Call me suspicious but when a department store like retailer pushes almost exclusively a single brand (which the sales guy told me was basically an "Anaconda" brand) I get a bit wary.

Still, they had a good range of other brands, Sigma and Cateye lights and comps, Topeak bags, tools and pumps, Kryptonite locks, CamelBak hydration systems, ParkTool tools, at not too bad prices. I ended up grabbing a Topeak saddle bag (the only ones i could find with a quick release clip) and pump. My gf bought a rack for her car (which we had fun trying to fit in the dark, just to make sure it worked =P). I had a look at the Fluid comps and lights and they looked like clones of Tioga products and even the sales guy recommended against them.

In bikes they had mostly Fluid and a few Koma. Good range of apparel, a few Shimano shoes etc.

They seem okay if you are wary of the obscenely cheap stuff and steer towards the recognised brands.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 pm

I've only had a brief dash through the Mile End store. Am I right in assuming they are off road orientated? Is there much there for the on-road rider?

Richard

khendar

Postby khendar » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Not a hell of a lot Richard. Its clearly geared towards the "adventuring" scene.

I think I saw a few road (or maybe they were hybrid) bikes on the way in but I made a bee-line for the MTB section :P Obviously things like lights, comps, pumps, gloves etc don't care what style you are riding. They had mostly MTB tires and tubes (I think i saw 3 or 4 road tires on the rack). They had one row of apparel, mostly tough MTB shorts and long sleeve jerseys, but they had a few knicks. My gf bought some bike pants there. I didn't notice if they sold parts like reraillers, brakes etc at all (for MTB or road).

I'd suggest you go in for a look, as they have loads of camping/fishing/climbing/water sport gear as well. Accessories aplenty, but probably stick to the LBS for parts.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Thanks mate. That matches my impression. The difference being, I had about ten minutes in the place.

Richard

beebleb

Postby beebleb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Hmm... Looks like I should make a trip to Joondalup.

Nothing wrong with Jamis, quite a big brand in the US; they actually make some nice modern steel roadies for reasonable money.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:00 am

europa wrote:I've only had a brief dash through the Mile End store. Am I right in assuming they are off road orientated? Is there much there for the on-road rider?

Richard
Yes, the Joondalup store even has full-face downhill helmets. Good stuff too like Giro $300 pieces of art. The Kona bikes have a good name too, but id still rather buy from a real bike store.

europa

Postby europa » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 am

beebleb wrote:Hmm... Looks like I should make a trip to Joondalup.

Nothing wrong with Jamis, quite a big brand in the US; they actually make some nice modern steel roadies for reasonable money.
Velly nice steel roadies ... and if I manage to get mine to Oz. Oops, you didn't read that did you :wink:

Richard

trevi88

Postby trevi88 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Have been lurking for quite awhile & wanted to add my comments about Anaconda.

About 6 months ago, I decided that I might start riding a bike again after 20 years of being out of the saddle. At 110kg, a road bike was a little daunting so I decided on a hybrid, particularly to see if I even wanted to maintain this renewed pastime. So I did some research & found that the Fluid bikes sold by Anaconda actually had quite good componentry on them, at prices far more competitive than the known brands. I had no LBS & still don't in my area so I have to travel far anyway to purchase anything.

I bought a Fluid Delta Street Bike, not quite a flat bar road bike but a bit faster than a comfort bike. After much riding on local bikeways & roads, I realised that I liked this, & started improving things, like faster tyres, changed grips & barends, computer, SPD pedals & shoes etc etc. I spent $640 on the original bike & have spent at least that again on clothes & extras. It has in fact become quite a useful asset to the home, as I use it for errands, some shopping, exercise, even killing time while the car is being serviced.

Yes, I know it isn't a known brand, but it's holding up really well after 1700km. I eventually found a reasonably close LBS that are quite happy to service my bike & are actually quite impressed at how good it is. You may laugh, but I do clip along at 20-25km/h & actually went on a group ride a few weeks ago. Kept up with the roadies on the flats & downhills but was left standing still on the climbs. Probably need to work on my hillclimbing ability a bit but I was able to see how I was progressing.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't write Anaconda off as a typical department store selling crap bikes with equally crap componentry. The quality is pretty good & if I lived closer to them, they have a service department as well. At the very least, this bike has allowed me to rediscover the joy of just riding a bike again, & as I become fitter, I'm certain a road bike will be on the horizon.

Once I have enough posts, I'd be happy to show a photo & link to the Fluid website (yes, it does exist, with good pictures, specifications etc).

Brett