Fair price for a low km Giant CRX

matth

Fair price for a low km Giant CRX

Postby matth » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 pm

The upgrade bug has bitten... I bought my Giant CRX-4 approx 2 months ago as a cheap entry into riding after too many years on the couch. I am now seriously thinking I want to upgrade to a nice roadie with alloy frame and 105 groupset (Current contenders are Argon 18 Plutonium and Giant TCR 1).

My question is, if I decide to upgrade and sell the CRX, what is a fair price to ask... it will have done under 1000km and I will get it serviced prior to sale. The retail price is $599 and I have added Shimano RS-10 wheelset and R540 pedals so I was thinking of offering 2 sale options:

1) Original spec with Alex rims and cage pedals (Alex wheelset has done under 200km)
2) With RS-10 wheelset and R540 pedals

What would ne a fair and reasonable price to ask for the bike in both configurations... it is in excellent condition, I have had 1 minor clipstack at low speed and all marks polished out.

didge

Re: Fair price for a low km Giant CRX

Postby didge » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi matth,

I sold CRX-4 on e bay last year. I went through almost exactly the process you did; bought a cheap flatbar then wanted a roadie.

Anyway mine was in about identical condition to yours, under a couple of months old and under 1000km. It ended up going for $395, with no modifications, so that might give you a ballpark of what you could charge for it.

I'm not really sure what you could charge with the RS-10s on it, maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:07 pm

With RS10's you may have to pay some one to take it away. :(

Check out your local quokka/trade and exchange, ebay and even look on bikexchange.com for some indications.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

matth

Postby matth » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 am

Redbull wrote:With RS10's you may have to pay some one to take it away. :(

Check out your local quokka/trade and exchange, ebay and even look on bikexchange.com for some indications.

Thanks... I'll check there as well. At this stage I'll likely keep the RS-10's myself as I'm a lighweight and they are fine for me... it may be a tad harsh to suggest that they would make the bike unsaleable though :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi

Personally if I was looking to buy, I wouldn't pay much more than a 1/3 to 1/2 of new replacement price, probably 1/2 with your bike.

Andrew
Andrew