The right size road bike?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby europa » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:38 am

perception twin wrote:When I got home I was so inspired I even took my dodgy MTB for a ride :D

Oh cripes, you've had it :D

Hope she works for you mate. Piccies when you buy her please :D (need to post a bit more first, or you can send the links to me to put up)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

by BNA » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 pm

BNA

Postby perception twin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Sweet! I am the new owner of the Peugeot bike 8)
Pics when I get her home..

On that note, is it easy enough to jam a road bike in a car? Probably not easy but is it doable ;) Like if you put the front passenger seat down and get it in there diagonally.. with the front wheel off of course. This will be a good question as I plan on going for rides where I have to transport my bike around. My car can't have a rear carrier as it has no tow bar nor does it have the ability to install one (its a 323 sedan).
perception twin

Postby sogood » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:46 pm

perception twin wrote:On that note, is it easy enough to jam a road bike in a car?

Take the wheels off. That's what the the Quick Release skewers are designed for.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby europa » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:52 pm

perception twin wrote:My car can't have a rear carrier as it has no tow bar nor does it have the ability to install one (its a 323 sedan).

You can get carriers that hang off the back of the hatchback - do a search because we discussed them early this year. Well worth getting. My carrier (a tow bar job) lives in the back of the car and it's one of the most liberating things you'll buy, especially if, like me, you live in a hilly area.

Congratulations on the Peugot. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:52 pm

sogood wrote:
perception twin wrote:On that note, is it easy enough to jam a road bike in a car?

Take the wheels off. That's what the the Quick Release skewers are designed for.

I think that was part of the question no?
with the front wheel off of course.

Maybe someone with a 323 sized car might have an idea? I am also interested in others actual experience with similar sized vehicles.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby sogood » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:
sogood wrote:

The rear wheel presumably also was mounted with a QR skewer. With both wheels off, the back seat or trunk area should be more than big enough, even in a Mazda 323. At worst, move the seat back forward and open up the trunk space.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby perception twin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 pm

sogood wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
sogood wrote:

The rear wheel presumably also was mounted with a QR skewer. With both wheels off, the back seat or trunk area should be more than big enough, even in a Mazda 323. At worst, move the seat back forward and open up the trunk space.

you were right sogood. The owner actually showed me how to fit it and put it in for me. Just had to take the front wheel off, put the back seats down and put it through the boot and it fit snugly with the handlebars facing upwards, then the wheel goes to the side. I have to remember, derailer side up.
perception twin

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts