cell MTX-R2 Pro Edition

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

cell MTX-R2 Pro Edition

Postby joe76 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi,

I'm not very knowledgable in the area. Looking for a basic entry level hardtail. Have researched other bikes in the price bracket, this seems good for the price.

Anyone able to give me their opinions/experiences/feelings about the cell MTX-R2 Pro Edition.

Your help appreciated!
joe76

by BNA » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:49 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I had a quick look at the specifications on the Cell Bikes site. It seems okay for the price, but you're right in the cross-over budget between a true "entry level" bike and a serious off road machine. My advice would be to either save a little more and get a new bike with better forks or to buy a good used HT.

For $800, you'll be able to pick up a used 07 Giant XtC with the Tora fork if you're patient and won't regret the purchase. With the MTX-R2, you will be looking to upgrade parts from the start and I don't think the frame & forks justify upgrading.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby europa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:07 pm

G'day Joe,

Welcome to the nuthouse.

The specs look pretty good to me, and Cell have a reputation for good bikes at a good price. It's a lot more than 'basic entry level' - my son's Apollo is a good, entry level bike for a lot less than that but with correspondingly lower spec components.

If that's what suits you, I think you'll do well, but you'd be well served to make sure it is what you want and it is offering good value for your money. Prices are so dependant on when you do the deal that it's hard for anyone not looking in your city at that time to be able to compare too much.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:12 pm

G'day

I am with Gramae. I don't know where you are but here in WA, the Quokka most weeks has a number of 07 and now even 08 HTs going for a song with much better specs.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:08 pm

G'Day Joe, come on in :D

The Cell looks pretty good, with a good spec but you've gotta make sure she fits first, maybe you could have a look around a few bike shops and see what's about for the dough, you might be pleasantly suprised.

Good luck with the hunt mate.

Shaun.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Wanta-bike » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:32 pm

what size frame u after?

and where abouts are u located?

reason i ask is that i MAY be sellin me GT hardtail....

tho IMO, save up a little bit more bickies and get a Giant Alias - UBER value bike with godd stuff on it
Wanta-bike

Postby seddo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:54 am

Some Giant dealers have 07 Yukons for $649 - have owned one for 2 months and I am wrapped with the bike althoughI can now hear the call of the "duallie" - "Duuuaaaaallllllllllllliie"

cheers
Seddo
seddo

great info

Postby joe76 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Would be very interested to hear from someone with one of these bikes already.

Keep up the good work!!
joe76

Cell MTX R

Postby jimbob » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 pm

I've been riding the MTX-R now for over 7 months and it's served me well. This is the same as the MTX-R2 except it doesn't have hydraulic brakes - only mechanical ones. Yes, the componentry is at a very good level for the price and it's stood up well to about 700kms of off roading.

My main criticism would be the forks. They have very limited adjustability and the lock-out gets easily jammed (but it can be cleaned out easily enough). Also, what adjustability they did have has now completely disappeared since the knob got stuck (not so easily fixed). I ended up getting a cheap set of Tora forks on ebay and feel much happier.

Overall, I think the bike is good value. Would I buy it again? Not if I realised how much I would love mountain biking and would have preferred to have spent a bit more - you can get something really nice for around the 1k mark. Having said that I too can hear the call of the duallie so it's been an excellent starter bike and one that will keep me going for quite a few more months to come.
jimbob

Return to Buying a bike / parts