Shimano v's Campognolo groupsets

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Shimano v's Campognolo groupsets

Postby crog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:54 pm

I suspect this topic could open wounds :( and heated arguments :evil: for some and may have been done before as I suggest both have there fans.

As some of you have seen I am resurrecting a Cecil Wlker frame and obviously after respray next come the groupset and componet.

I want to research this more and likely work out what I need to save or look for so here goes what are the merits of each :?:

Che
crog

by BNA » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:35 pm

BNA

Postby Bnej » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:35 pm

Meh. Be really different and get some new SRAM gear. ;)

Any good road gear is good. Shimano have side pushy brake levers, campy have more serviceable shifters and gear cables under the bar tape. The ergonomics are different.
Bnej

Postby bigbuzz73 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:04 am

No argument.... get Campag if you enjoy a bit of bike snobbery! Somehow "Italian flair and style" will always out-cool (is that a word??) "Japanese efficiency".
Wayne
bigbuzz73

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:36 am

Obviously they both work well as demonstrated by their use at the top level and throughout the amateur rank. It comes down to your personal preference of feel and like. For one thing, Campag/SRAM upper models have a lot more CF components compared with Shimano models.

From a spec point of view. Many people consider Shimano DA to be at the same level as Campag Chorus, while SRAM Force is also at the Chorus level and their upcoming Red is aimed at Campag Record level.

FYI, PBK is having a sale of Shimano DA at the moment for around $1000.

Market dominance of Shimano appears to be more related to their marketing where they would give very generous discounts to bike manufacturers while keeping the retail price of their groupsets elevated. The retail price establishes the prestige of their product in the eye of the consumers.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am

Whats the saying...."Campag wears in,Shimano wears out".Although Boonen had a bit of trouble with Campag for a while...too much power.I do most of my K's on 9 speed Ultegra (bullet proof) and Rotor Cranks.The Durace only does a couple of short outings a week.But I am with Bnej and will try SRAM next time around....[/code]
toolonglegs

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 am

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want to put it back as it was, ie what was originally on the bike.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby stryker84 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:34 am

I suppose the best thing to do is go for a few rides on pre-set up bikes with both Shimano and Campy (and SRAM, if you're considering it) and work out which you like the feel of the best. Test different level groupsets as well, if you can.

All will work good enough, but if you don't like the feel of one, better of getting the other, even if it's supposedly 'lower quality'. Might save you some $$, instead of just going "I want Campy and I want Record, cos the forum says it's the best/most bling". Though, if you end up really liking Campy Record and can afford it, well, go for it.
stryker84

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:50 am

Bikes are so personal these days that even just the pedal and cleat choice can stop a swap of bike. Even swapping wheels with friends to compare characteristics is a chore, Campag vs Shimano compatibility can be a show stopper.
sogood

Postby MountGower » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:26 pm

I
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby sogood » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 pm

MountGower wrote:I hate the paper mache panels in the new Campag stuff...

The what? :shock:
sogood

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm

MountGower wrote:I hate the paper mache panels in the new Campag stuff ...

Moo is still counting up to 10 before she lets fly.

Enzo is getting 9-speed Record, with 'paper mache' brake levers and 'shiny' derailleurs and brakes. :) Only an 80's aero seat post to go and I've got every thing.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby crog » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:53 pm

Mikesbytes. In replay to your question about what I want.

I supose something recent that will fit. The rear stays are going to get respaced and obviously thinkgs like bars, stem etc I would like to make look semi original as I am considering a $500 paint job such that lugs etc can be detailed and pin striped, original CW logos can be hand painted to reflect age and forks and dropouts cromed ( I am still looking for examples on the web)

I am looking for some ITM stuff as that is what CW believe it would have been supplied with at the time so essentially as close to possible with exception groupset on this I am ahppy to spend about $700 to $800 for BB, Headset, cranks, derailers etc.

This should allow both Camp and SHimano for looking at ebay. I supose I am leaning to wards Camp gear as it will tend towards giving it an italian look so I am told. Suffice to say i can see my 2k budget turning into more iF i keep it up.
crog

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:05 pm

hmmm ... by the time you are finished you might just be able to get CW to build you a new 531 frame customised for your fit.

And you can probably spec the new frame to your desired paint scheme.
thomas_cho

Postby crog » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:25 pm

thomas_cho wrote:hmmm ... by the time you are finished you might just be able to get CW to build you a new 531 frame customised for your fit.

And you can probably spec the new frame to your desired paint scheme.

Too late now mate and whilst money is a consideration it is a year project so I will persist and if it costs a few dollars more it is motivation to keep training and get fit for the bay ride I have set myself for, also as others have mentioned the lugging is pretty special suppoably so it should make for a good bike

It is the tinkering and learning porcess I am interested in and I supose it's hard to put a finger on this. Goes someway to explaning the engineer in me and then I am not replying on shops and once I get frame done and know a bit more I will source components as I can find them but suffice to say they will all be new.

Next post will be better before and after pic's hopefuly with fully custom paint job pending final price.

Che

As mentioned I want the bike to turn heads so
crog

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:37 pm

If you truly want tinkering ... I suggest building your own wheels. Its a rewarding experience, and not as hard as you think it may be. The end result would be a strong reliable wheelset, and the ability to pretty much maintain any wheelset.

Building up a bike (not building up a frame), is relatively easy .... only if you use the right tools.

To really extend your tinkering ... better start budgeting for a good tools.
thomas_cho

Return to Buying a bike / parts