Bar End Lights

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Bar End Lights

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm

G'day

On the Touring -- The Internet Bicycle Touring List there has been some discussion of bar end lights which I assume are these ones or similar.

I am thinking of same for my flatbar and was interested in the experiences and/or opinions of the esteemed members of this group, particular in terms of their effectiveness.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 am

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 am

The idea of using blinkies on the bar ends should really make you stand out from behind Andrew. A couple things to think about ... nb I haven't come across these before, all I've seen is your link.

How sturdy are they? Can they survive leaning the bike against walls etc?
Red flashing in peripheral vision, possible safety or annoyance issues?Phantom says they're removable, will they become dropoutonabumpable with a bit of wear?

Just thinking aloud here, for less than $8 inc batteries+postage, it's a pretty cheap experiment, please let us know how you go.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Wanta-bike » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:45 am

i saw a guy have these thingys on his roadie the other week. tho these were placed where usually the cap of the drop part of the bars end (hope that makes sense....). they were just a red LED in each of the bar end. anyways, u could definately see em if u were lookin from behind - which i suppose is the idea... :?

anywho, i couldnt take me eyes off em! i was gettin soooo distracted by em in the end i HAD to ride past him as all i could see was two red dots blinking.... :roll:
Wanta-bike

Postby Pushy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm not entirely sure that they would be that effective on a flat bar and if you have bar-ends might it interfere with the installation. Red is also usually associated with the rear of a vehicle and you should already have reflectors on the wheels for side visibility. For increased side visibility I've zip-tied a yellow led flasher, I got from K-mart camping section, to the front side of the down tube(shame I cant post a pic yet).
BUT, if you like them, get them. :wink:
Pushy

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi

I posted the same request for experiences on aus.bicycles and Frank the owner of Jet Cycles in Kelmscott got in touch with me. He has a set of bar end lights which he is sending my way to try out, so will let you know how they go.

Nice bloke, so for those out his way or into MTB you might want to keep him in mind.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Matty » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Pushy wrote:Red is also usually associated with the rear of a vehicle and you should already have reflectors on the wheels for side visibility.

The Knog ones that Andrew linked to actually have a white LED on one side and a red LED on the other side. The white LED shines forward and the red backwards. The LEDs shine perpendicular to the line of the bar and as such aren't suitable for a bike with drop bars.

For drop bars you need something like this.
Matty

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:04 pm

Pushy wrote:I'm not entirely sure that they would be that effective on a flat bar and if you have bar-ends might it interfere with the installation.

No bar ends and it the lights are white and red as per Matty's posting.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Buying a bike / parts