Shimano Flight desk Questions

auswi

Shimano Flight desk Questions

Postby auswi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my cycle computer which is currently a Ravx Tactix 2 to the flight deck.

I found this link on http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 110000377/

I like the idea of it having cadence and can also tell you what gear you are in.

Would i nned to buy anything else to hook it up to the STI shifters etc.

Has anyone on these forums got one and what are your thoughts

Cheers

Wayne

Robdog

Re: Shimano Flight desk Questions

Postby Robdog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I believe you need to buy the kit that goes with it to hook it up to the system - See the Q&A section of the page you linked to.
From what I've read, the Flight Deck system is good in theory, but execution is very poor. I don't remember the specifics, but if you google "Shimano FlightDeck" or similar you'll soon see what I mean

Having said that, I have no firsthand experience with the system whatsoever, except looking at the "FlightDeck" logo on top of my brifters :roll:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

mtbboy41

Re: Shimano Flight desk Questions

Postby mtbboy41 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:30 pm

G'day mate,
I've had a flightdeck for nearly 40,000 km now and it has never missed a beat. It is the wireless one with Dura Ace 7800 sti. The cadence is a bit funny because it is virtual but all the other functions are great. Controlling on the lever hoods is also very convenient. The only problem I have had is I have hade to replace the wireless sensor twice. The plastic on the sensor gets very brittle. The batttery cap just crumbled away on one and then the bracket mount broke on the next one. I sourced a few replacements from Ebay very cheaply and now have a couple of spares.
Good luck with it.