Order from CRC over $1,000 - clearing process

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Order from CRC over $1,000 - clearing process

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:25 am

I have been looking into this (as part of an article I am writing about purchasing online) and can't work out the differences listed in the Customs Processing Charge (download PDF).

Specifically, when filling in the Import N10 form,

Import (N10) and warehouse (N20) declaration processing charges
Air and post (electronic): $40.20 per declaration

Manual documentary import and warehouse declaration charges
Air and post $48.85 per declaration

In the blog (thanks for the link Andrew), the author payed $48,50 - however also mentioned that he signed up for ICS (Integrated Cargo System). I am assuming that first the first time around he sent in the form (manual) however as he has signed up in future can send in the form electronically and would thus pay less.

For interest, customs have a [url=http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asppage with information (or a warning) for people purchasing online[/url].

Regarding the refund - I couldn't see how the blog author would be eligible however I would be interested if anyone knows of cases in which a purchaser can claim a refund.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am

I have since spoken with customs - whom have been very helpful and have confirmed all the of the above chrages and information.

They were also very helpful and patient with all my questions - if in doubt give them and call and to reiterate what pixola said just follow the rules and it is simple, definetly nothing to worry about as some clearing agents would have you beleive.

Although having your parcel come in via standard parcel post makes it easier as you are then dealing with AusPost and they will post it the rest of the way once it has been cleared.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:17 am

AUbicycles wrote:Regarding the refund - I couldn't see how the blog author would be eligible however I would be interested if anyone knows of cases in which a purchaser can claim a refund.

Hi

The author of the blog, 700x23 is a member here and also Durx was of the belief he could claim the duty. I did find some material suggesting a duty concession but it wasn't that current. Might be worth contacting both of them to see if they got the duty refunded.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 pm

You could try customs - unless the refund would not be 100% above board.

clin

Postby clin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I have been looking into this (as part of an article I am writing about purchasing online) and can't work out the differences listed in the Customs Processing Charge (download PDF).
Specifically, when filling in the Import N10 form,
Import (N10) and warehouse (N20) declaration processing charges
Air and post (electronic): $40.20 per declaration
Manual documentary import and warehouse declaration charges
Air and post $48.85 per declaration
In the blog (thanks for the link Andrew), the author payed $48,50 - however also mentioned that he signed up for ICS (Integrated Cargo System). I am assuming that first the first time around he sent in the form (manual) however as he has signed up in future can send in the form electronically and would thus pay less
For interest, customs have a [url=http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asppage with information (or a warning) for people purchasing online[/url].
Regarding the refund - I couldn't see how the blog author would be eligible however I would be interested if anyone knows of cases in which a purchaser can claim a refund.
Aushiker wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Regarding the refund - I couldn't see how the blog author would be eligible however I would be interested if anyone knows of cases in which a purchaser can claim a refund.
Hi
The author of the blog, 700x23 is a member here and also Durx was of the belief he could claim the duty. I did find some material suggesting a duty concession but it wasn't that current. Might be worth contacting both of them to see if they got the duty refunded.
Andrew

refer to this post by im_no_pro-Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 am for classification and tariff concession order

Customs sent me a comprehensive set of instructions for the process
forms to download from aus customs site are:
(Home > Import Export > Importing goods > Importing Goods by Post)
Form B319: Registering as client in Integrated Cargo System (ICS)
fill one in for yourself (as the importer) and another for the supplier (as the exporter) which you can sign on their behalf
Form B374: Import declaration (N10) - Post
under section C, "additional info relevant to the contents...etc - explain that complete bike should be duty free per TCO 0104891 (refer to im_no_pro's post for details)
(this will allow the customs to rule for or against the imposition of import duty on the parcel) and you don't end up lying to the customs but point out that you might be entitled to nil import duty
your declaration at the bottom of the form when you sign it: "I declare that the above particulars are to the best of my knowledge are true and correct."
that was what I did and the import duty on my imported bike was waived

if the author of the blog did import a complete bike he should not have to pay it and therefore eligible for a refund ( more forms to fill this way I would think)
(edit:im_no_pro-Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:48 am)
B374 requires documentary evidence of cost incurred (eg CC statement indicating the transaction) and supplier's invoice/receipt for the product...etc
Last edited by clin on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi

Thanks Clin. Good information.

Regards
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks as well.
I did end up finding customs information on the tarif concessions however nothing in 'plain speak' so it is tough to find out what it all really means.

The link to im_no_pros comment is great - I have to ask him if he wrote it himself or had another reference.

--

I also think I confirmed my assumption that the blog author would have paid the processing fee of $48.85 (rather than $40.20) as it was a manual submission - for subsequent orders, when registered with ICS, it can be automated and hence a lower processing fee.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:28 am

All,

My frame is in the next town at the Mid-North Coast mail sorting facility due to arrive in town either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Due to the fact that it has made it this far I would say that it was not stopped by customs. Value was 608 pounds, which depending on what day I looked at the exchange rate chart was between AUD$997 and AUD$1012.

I was able to contact Australia Post using the tracking number from Parcel Force and they were able to tell me where it was.

So lucky for me not so lucky for others seeking information as I can not share my experience of doing the customs thing.

Thanks all for your posts,
Steve

lukas

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm a customs broker by trade.. I can confirm that the tariff concession for bicycles is current as per some previous posts. The number is 0104891.

If you have imported a bike and paid the 5%, you are eligible for a refund. If you're doing entries yourself through Aus post I'm not sure what the process is to get it back.. best to call Customs. If it's through a broker (or a courier company), it's a very simple process and they should be able to process it pretty much immediately. Courier company's are pretty bad with things like this. My friend recently imported a bike from competitive cyclist, and they had classified the bike as a part of a vehicle, and entered the overseas freight amount at more than 3 times what it actually was (=they would have paid more gst). :shock:

The idea behind tariff concessions is that they can be applied for by local importers of goods which are not produced in Aus.. or no 'substitutable' goods are produced in Aus. Having a quick look of the history of this TC, it was actually revoked in 2003 after a local company applied for revocation. Basically they said 'hey Mr collector of Customs, I make bikes, you all can't let these guys bring them in free'. This was then countered in 2004 by Pacific Brands and Cannondale, who had the concession re-instated. Obviously, for companies like Cannondale, there's big $$$ to be saved if it's 5% of every bike they are bringing in.

I don't know the specifics of the different rulings, but I imagine Cannondale/Pacific Brands arguement would be that no complete bicycle is completely made in Aus. The frame perhaps, but those who make frames are protected by the 5% tariff on frames and forks.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I don't know the specifics of the different rulings, but I imagine Cannondale/Pacific Brands arguement would be that no complete bicycle is completely made in Aus. The frame perhaps, but those who make frames are protected by the 5% tariff on frames and forks.

So then the refund would only be applicable on complete bikes then and not frames/forks - good to know.

Thanks for information - good to hear from someone in the trade.

spadam

Postby spadam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:56 am

On the customs website the terms "about the same time" are used to describe the import of 2 or more parcels from the same exporter if valued at over $1000 they would attract the tax and clearing process. Does anyone know what a quantifiable measure of "about the same time" is?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 am

Correct me if I am wrong - "about the same time" is a few days though as you can see good and bad luck can play a role.

lukas

Postby lukas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm

As per section 154 of the Customs Act:

(2) For the purposes of this Division, an event occurs about the same time as another event if the first event occurs:
(a) on the same day as the other event; or
(b) within the 45 days immediately before, or the 45 days immediately after, the day on which the other event occurs.

Realistically though, it's unlikely customs are going to pick up on it if a few days apart, if at all.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

othy

Postby othy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Anyone know the strike rate for paying customs duty? Are certain periods more likely to get through - ie, mondays when they may have a backlog from the weekend.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:48 pm

spadam wrote:On the customs website the terms "about the same time" are used to describe the import of 2 or more parcels from the same exporter if valued at over $1000 they would attract the tax and clearing process. Does anyone know what a quantifiable measure of "about the same time" is?

I just make sure that if I have multiple orders from the same source coming to me, they are ordered far enough apart to ensure that they are not both "in the system" at the same time. As far as I am concerned, once I have taken delivery of the parcel there is bugger all Customs can do about it. However, if they have both your parcels in their mail centre at the same time waiting to clear customs, there is a chance they might pick up on it and slug you if the combined value goes over $1000.

To be honest, I don't know how they track everything, including the declared values. There must be tens of thousands of packages a day going through the various mail centres, and they simply can't examine every single one. I have had one package physically opened and inspected by AQIS for being "suspicious" (it was a package containing 1 bolt and 1 mounting bracket). AQIS has nothing to do with Customs though :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:35 am

lukas - How long have you had the Canyon AL for? how does it ride? i was looking at getting one of their carbon frames but they are no longer are able to export to Oz somehting to do with warranty.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 am

Good tip queequeg.

I would assume that once custom processes a delivery and it is out of their system, then a second delivery is a seperate case. When two deliveries are registered in the system, there is an alert in the Integrated Cargo System (ICS) and even sending the customs duty notice is probably completely automated. If two items come in at the same time but are not picked up, I would assume that the documentation didn't match properly to show that you were 'importing' two of the same / similar items.