Spotted a special - Post it in here!

DaveQB

Re: Spotted a special - Post it in here!

Postby DaveQB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
I had a 520 purchased from the UK replaced by Garmin when it was a couple of weeks out of warranty in November this year.
Based on my experience, they do honour warranty on items purchased overseas.
Yeah really?
It looks like they're being nice but can not honour warranty whenever they don't want to and point to their warranty policy.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm

On warm days I like to carry a cloth with me so that I can stop and wipe away the sweat occasionally. The smallest towels I could find were still big enough to be an encumbrance on a bike, and I would have cut them in half if I could have prevailed upon my wife to stitch up the cut faces (not in my skill set).

A few weeks ago I needed some rags, and I bought a bundle of "microfibre rags" from Bunnings for $10. When I opened the package, I was amazed at how many there were and how good they were. There were at least 50 pieces of a toweling type cloth, of dimensions approximately 340 x 320 mm, They were hole free, cut free, and blemish free, and the sides were all stitched. Once I had washed them to get rid of the slight suds oil smell, they were perfect to carry on the bike, and there were enough of them in the $10 bundle to last me for 20 years.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Philistine wrote:, and there were enough of them in the $10 bundle to last me for 20 years.
and the environment even longer :( Please don't buy and use microfibre cloths or if you must, please do not dispose of them ...

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:48 pm

Question...Slane Cycles has the Garmin 820 bundle for $527 - will it have Aus maps on it?

Matt

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
and the environment even longer :( Please don't buy and use microfibre cloths or if you must, please do not dispose of them ...
I put the "microfibre" in brackets because I thought the manufacturer was just trying to make his product sound more up-market. I'm no fabric expert but I thought genuine microfibre was a close woven high absorbance material. These are toweling type materials - suitable for my purpose but not microfibre.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm

TheWall wrote:Question...Slane Cycles has the Garmin 820 bundle for $527 - will it have Aus maps on it?

Matt
Interesting question as with the 1030, I had to download the maps, so suspect that model you might be able to not worry about region specific purchases.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:25 am

rifraf wrote:Interesting question as with the 1030, I had to download the maps, so suspect that model you might be able to not worry about region specific purchases.
What maps did you download? Mine has OSM Cycle installed.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm

TheWall wrote:Question...Slane Cycles has the Garmin 820 bundle for $527 - will it have Aus maps on it?
As Slane Cycles are in the UK, I don't think they will have Aus maps... Why don't you ask them?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Interesting question as with the 1030, I had to download the maps, so suspect that model you might be able to not worry about region specific purchases.
What maps did you download? Mine has OSM Cycle installed.
It was part of the initial setup of the device.

Just the ones offered by Garmin Express update which were in the realm of 2gb (no not mb) and lacking prepay on the day forced me into town to bludge some wifi.

In fact currently sitting there as an optional update is "Reinstall the map that is currently installed on this device" (I just checked).
It appears to be "Routable Cycle Map of Australia and New Zealand 2017:10"

Not sure why its offered but might explain why a large portion of my ride around the Yanchep coastal road was shown as well off the tarmac when I did it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

rifraf wrote:It appears to be "Routable Cycle Map of Australia and New Zealand 2017:10"
Yes I got that update as well.

The maps that came installed on the unit are:

Worldwide DEM Basmap NR
Garmin Cycle Map AUS/NZ 2017.10
Edge DEM Map AUS/NZ 2016.10
Garmin Geocode Map AUS/NZ 2016.10

I have yet to decide but I may update the Open Cycle Map myself. DC Rainmaker has a helpful guide for those not sure of the steps.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 am

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:It appears to be "Routable Cycle Map of Australia and New Zealand 2017:10"
Yes I got that update as well.

The maps that came installed on the unit are:

Worldwide DEM Basmap NR
Garmin Cycle Map AUS/NZ 2017.10
Edge DEM Map AUS/NZ 2016.10
Garmin Geocode Map AUS/NZ 2016.10

I have yet to decide but I may update the Open Cycle Map myself. DC Rainmaker has a helpful guide for those not sure of the steps.
Ah well, I guess that puts to bed my theory that the new "maps" were region free in that the map download was relegated to the first update location.
I look forward to hearing of your decision and its outcome.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

Pushys free shipping with code FREESHIP and over $30
Valid till 11pm

lewie15

Postby lewie15 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

http://www.this link is broken.au/oakley-jawbrea ... unglasses/
Got some Oakley Jawbreakers from Wiggle for what I think is a good price. First pair of cycling glasses and they are amazing.

march83

Postby march83 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am

yeah, the jawbreakers jump between that price and $235 or something pretty regularly. They're a great deal at $160 i think. I miss the polarized lens of my jawbones, but the prism is a very good lens for most conditions.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 am

I'm considering a pair of Jawbreakers.. I already have a pair of Rudy Project Tralyx, but find they fog up too much, when either stopping or slowing down -- very frustrating. Hoping the Oakleys don't suffer the same problem.

squiz

Postby squiz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm

thatmdee wrote:I'm considering a pair of Jawbreakers.. I already have a pair of Rudy Project Tralyx, but find they fog up too much, when either stopping or slowing down -- very frustrating. Hoping the Oakleys don't suffer the same problem.
They do fog up somewhat when you stop, but once you get going again they're all good.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 pm

thatmdee wrote:I'm considering a pair of Jawbreakers.. I already have a pair of Rudy Project Tralyx, but find they fog up too much, when either stopping or slowing down -- very frustrating. Hoping the Oakleys don't suffer the same problem.
Wash with a bit of dishwashing detergent the night before (give them a light rinse after smearing it on).

They will no longer fog up :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:40 am

squiz wrote:
They do fog up somewhat when you stop, but once you get going again they're all good.
The POC glasses I was wearing yesterday were even fogging up when I was going at 40km/h. I had to stop and take them off, otherwise I had really reduced vision. When it warmed up a bit more they stopped fogging up.

On the topic of specials, Rapha Sydney was doing 60% off their already reduced prices. Picked up a $240 jersey at $95. Unfortunate is that everyone seems to be in there buying stuff at those prices, so you might struggle to find your size.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:
squiz wrote:
The POC glasses I was wearing yesterday were even fogging up when I was going at 40km/h. I had to stop and take them off, otherwise I had really reduced vision. When it warmed up a bit more they stopped fogging up.

On the topic of specials, Rapha Sydney was doing 60% off their already reduced prices. Picked up a $240 jersey at $95. Unfortunate is that everyone seems to be in there buying stuff at those prices, so you might struggle to find your size.
Scored a winter jacket for $191.00 in Melbourne on Saturday. Down from $Stupidity so I couldn't say no.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:05 pm

I should have grabbed their water-resistant shorts as well, I know those are pretty good in miserable weather conditions. Normally they are stupidly expensive.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Castelli gear on special at Torpedo7

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/brand/caste ... rchDisplay

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:18 pm

https://muc-off.com/products/anti-fog-treatment
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 pm

DaveQB wrote:
https://muc-off.com/products/anti-fog-treatment
Or just use dishwashing liquid...works well without the $'s!

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:50 pm

for anyone who's looking for good quality cycling socks, VeloOne is having a sale.
Many designs for $9 a pair. https://veloone.com.au/shop/socks

I have a couple of their socks and I must say, the quality is second to none at that price.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am

caneye wrote:VeloOne
Nice, thanks. They also have some jerseys at $50 though in limited sizes. Worth a punt at that price.