Handelbar extender thingy...

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Handelbar extender thingy...

Postby X-wing » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm

I am currently running a single headlight, a Polar HRM, and have recently just added some Syntace 'aero bars' (I think that is what they are called).

Now, basically I seem to have 'lost' the tops of my bars! I have run out of room, and I can't just cruise along with my hands on the tops any longer.

I have been looking around for something that I heard about recently, which allows you to basically replicate a portion of the handlebar, giving you more 'space' to put stuff on...

Here is one I found on a British site:
Bar Extender

Has anyone seen anything like this available here in Oz, and hopefully, not so ugly? This seems to stick out about 10 centimetres from the bar, making it look like an awful last minute add-on. I was wondering if anyone here uses something similar to this, although hopefully somewhat more graceful looking.

Cheers for any hints,
Marcus
X-wing

by BNA » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm

BNA

Postby Bnej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:23 pm

Seen one of those very Minoura things at my LBS, Velo Nova in Katoomba. Your local Lifecycles Penrith could probably get you one if you ask.

There's a variety of ways to set them up I think.
Bnej

Postby X-wing » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Thanks Bnej - I will give them a look. The main concern I have with this example is just how darn ugly it looks... but it may just be the way it has been set up.
Cheers for the lead.
M
X-wing

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 pm

G'day

Dean Woods has them. Click here.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Bnej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 pm

This is for the Repco Road 700 bike btw? How do you find using the aerobars?

You should make an early Saturday morning one day and do the 30km Katoomba Hill Sampler with us. ;)
Bnej

Postby X-wing » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks for the local llnk Andrew, cheers.

Bnej, I managed to score myself another roadie - this is a red Greacross roadie (pics to be posted soon, when I find my darn camera battery!). I picked it up a couple of weeks ago from a guy in Bathurst for the surprisingly cheap sum of $100 (ahhh, eBay). The Repco was just too tall for my little legs - but for $40 it was a very useful tool for measuring tubes and comparing them to bikes on offer on eBay! :lol:

As for the bars, I have to say I am still getting used to them. I have only tried them out briefly after setting them up . I was hoping to go out to the Lakes on Sunday to give them a decent try out, but it was... well you know what it was like.
I bolted them in place on Saturday night, and have only been able to really do the driveway so far.

The Katoomba Hill Sampler sounds a bit deadly!! How many of you do it? I would be by far the slowest in the pack, so I might wait a while till I get some speed/endurance up before I venture out into a group! :lol:
X-wing

Postby Bnej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting the promo for the ride:

Meet outside Velo Nova bike shop at 715am each Saturday and cycle the scenic road route of Cliff Drive from Katoomba to Wentworth Falls and return to Katoomba. This bike ride takes approxiamely 1 hour and 45 mins and is 30 kms in length and is considered a fun ride but there is always scope for someone to break from the peleton! This road bike ride is open to both male and female cyclists with no age barrier. Road bikes preferred but you can still do it on an MTB. All cyclists are welcome and we enjoy a coffee and chat after the ride at a local cafe in Katoomba

In reality:
1. Bring a road bike. MTBs do it tough (I found out about it!)
2. It's really an hour and a half, average is about 21km/h
3. It's a social ride, and there are a number of stops so we don't drop anyone. There is a sprint on nearly every hill though.

Numbers vary, but there's normally a good bunch of 10 or more.
Bnej

Return to Buying a bike / parts