Great Shopping Experiences

Drasius

Re: Great Shopping Experiences

Postby Drasius » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Big thanks to both Joe at Lakes Bikes and Mike from Avanti Plus in Cannington. Ended up grabbing a Roubiax SL2 Comp Compact from Lakes Bikes, but both guys were fantastic to deal with, answering all my silly newbie questions and giving me solid answers (as opposed to some other stores who were flat out lying. Just because I tell you I'm after my 1st roadbike, doesn't mean I haven't done some research), taking the time to explain some of the more subtle difference about things as well as making testrides easy and never pushing me to go outside my budget. Again, very pleased with the service from both and would highly recommend them.

raistian

Postby raistian » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 am

Hi all, have been lurking for a while before joining the ranks.

I'd like to share my experience with the shops I've visited (Melbourne area):

1. BSC Melbourne (QV Building)
Went physically 2x, phoned 1x. Consistently awesome customer service (Isaac & Martin). Spent $500 more because of this (I'm a stickler for quality service). Total spending $1500+ (bike & accessories). Can do a deal around 25% off on average.

2. Goldcross Moonee Ponds (Puckle St)
Went physically 6x. Mixed experience depending on the person you're dealing with. 2 people excel in customer service (Madison & Phil). I didn't spend any money in the end since I decided that it's not good enough (no consistency). The worst part is they CANNOT do a deal for you - everything is sticker/ promotion price.

3. Bikeforce Essendon
Went physically 1x. Had decent customer experience - the guy knows his stuff but failed to explain things to a noob like me. Didn't spend any money - they didn't have the bike I want in stock. Can do a deal - around 15% off on average.

I'm especially disappointed with Goldcross Moonee Ponds - it's my LBS and I can ride there easily :cry: but no deal = not getting my money :twisted:

bossonbike

Postby bossonbike » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:53 am

Hi
I was wondering if anyone on here has had a good experience with Bates Bikes in Hurstville, Sydney. The store is quite close to my house and I am thinking of buying a bike from there.

Ausmunin

Postby Ausmunin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Today I purchased Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105 from Cycleworld in Burwood. The guy who served me (I think it was Issac) was really friendly and knowledgable about all of the bikes in price range.

He said they will do some minor adjsutments when I pick it up but I should go back after two weeks and get detailed adjustments.

Hopefully I will recieve it by the end of next week.

Very happy so far.
Cheers and beers,
A.

Rides:
  • 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105
    2004 Giant Upland SE

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Big thumbs up to the team at Blackman's Parramatta for hopefully my last lbs visit for the year (one more day what could go wrong?)

Anyway, knowledgeable and helpful, will see them again next year when the next bout of upgraditis strikes.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

mesagsx

Postby mesagsx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm off to melbourne next week on a business trip (I live in Sydney and I'm always envious of how good the bike shops are in Melb).

Does anyone have any advice on the best shop to visit to get my hands on some commuter clothing? I want to buy some shorts that are bike-sensible (stretchy, breathable) but also don't look like I'm preparing for a 3-day bush walk (i.e. something stylish I can wear to a cafe or bar). Most (if not all) of the bike shops here in Sydney offer a choice between lycra knicks or mountain biking shy shorts - probably because few of us commute by bike ...

-- boof

Tale

Postby Tale » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 pm

Ausmunin wrote:Today I purchased Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105 from Cycleworld in Burwood. The guy who served me (I think it was Issac) was really friendly and knowledgable about all of the bikes in price range.
That's where I bought my bike in 09. The bike fitting, test ride and general friendliness and advice were all big positives about shopping there compared with the other places I tried.
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

AlSach

Postby AlSach » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

I had a GREAT experience on saturday!
The guys at Cyclery Northside are fantastic!
Pete, and the team take a considerable amount of time with each customer before the purchase... THEN EVEN LONGER AFTER getting a full set up etc.
Nothing is too much of a hassle !
They talk you through what you are looking for and let you take the bikes out for a ride!

Made the whole experience enjoyable!

Well done boys! You know ill be back!
Spec Tarmac SL3

GraythefatXCRider

Postby GraythefatXCRider » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I, like ando, can't praise The Bicycle Entrepreneur in Osborne Park enough. I did a great deal of research before buying my 2012 Trance and they were one of the few people who listened to me prattle like an idiot without just trying to close a sale. They allowed me to put down a deposit on the phone for my bike and a Boulder for my wife and held onto the bikes for over a month before I was able to get the money together for the purchase. I called them the day before to let them know we'd be coming in and they remembered me by name! I emailed them a list of the additional gear we'd need and they called back with a price - which was a full $800 less than we'd budgeted for.

On the day we picked the bikes up, Henry walked us through everything we'd need to know and even gave us a hand to get the bikes into the back of the car (no mean feat fitting two bikes in the back of a Forrester).

All in all, they're an awesome crew!
2012 Giant Trance Advance
All the gear - no idea...

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:58 pm

I have been sniffing about looking to replace my MTB for something a bit lighter and road/path orientated. Popped into one shop in North Perth and was ignored as usual, then stopped for a look at Georges Bike shop, one of my LBS. Danny and I chatted about what I was looking for and helped me choose an approprite bike..no pressure, lots of advise and I wasn't treated as either an idiot or time waster. So-o I have ordered a Giant Seek 3. Probably not the sale of the day but I will check with them when I need stuff/service etc because of the good customer service.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:51 pm

hotfoot wrote:I have been sniffing about looking to replace my MTB for something a bit lighter and road/path orientated. Popped into one shop in North Perth and was ignored as usual, then stopped for a look at Georges Bike shop, one of my LBS. Danny and I chatted about what I was looking for and helped me choose an approprite bike..no pressure, lots of advise and I wasn't treated as either an idiot or time waster. So-o I have ordered a Giant Seek 3. Probably not the sale of the day but I will check with them when I need stuff/service etc because of the good customer service.
If you were 'ignored as usual' from that shop, why did you go back?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

ozzymac

Great Shopping Experiences

Postby ozzymac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Just like to recommend BIKELINE in Toowoomba for anyone needing a bike.

Friendly helpful staff, dont ignore you like a certain other lbs in Toowoomba.

Purchased a new bike for the wife and Rod was very helpful fitting her to the bike and making sure it was the correct size etc.

Then helped put it in the car.

Makes bike buying a pleasure when the lbs does the right thing.

If others were the same maybe more people would shop with them.

Cheers

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Mark G...as I said I was sniffing around looking at bikes...I went to see what kind of bikes they had..and I have a forgiving heart..like to give folk another chance...after all the other times might have been a day the haemorrhoids were playing up..who knows.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Bought a new Kask helmet from Super Elliot Cycles in Adelaide the other week while I was there for TDU. Price was cheaper than LBS that was going to order one in for me but never did.

markusm

Postby markusm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 am

hotfoot wrote:I have been sniffing about looking to replace my MTB for something a bit lighter and road/path orientated. Popped into one shop in North Perth and was ignored as usual, then stopped for a look at Georges Bike shop, one of my LBS. Danny and I chatted about what I was looking for and helped me choose an approprite bike..no pressure, lots of advise and I wasn't treated as either an idiot or time waster. So-o I have ordered a Giant Seek 3. Probably not the sale of the day but I will check with them when I need stuff/service etc because of the good customer service.
Don't ever think like that, profit margins are what they look at, there may be more profit percentage in your bike than a $10000 bike.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

bought a new Anthem X0 from Bicycling Inc. in South Yarra today. the guys there were pretty good, helping me out with setting up the suspension and stuff before handing it over and it looks like the build job is nice and tidy - no complaints. they even handed me a shock pump - unsure if that comes with the bike but i didn't ask any questions!

lgarratt

Postby lgarratt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am

Just wanted to acknowledge the great experience I had at Cycle Mania with the store manager Nick on both Saturday and Thursday evening. TBH I didn't have a bad experience at any of the LBS in Perth however the guys at Cycle Mania did stand out as great.

Nick is very likable and enthusiastic but more importantly he knows his stuff, plenty of tips along the way and I felt he was always honest on what the options were for me across the board (frames, running gear, accessories), allowed plenty of time to ride several bikes around the back streets of North Perth and at the end of the Saturday morning had given me his offers and didn't pressure me into any of them. Which must be hard after spending 2 hours dealing with a potential customer!

Going back on the Thursday to buy the bike nothing had changed in his demeanour, went through all the options again, kitting up the bike and doing the bike fitting. All in all a fantastic experience, as someone who is a typical online buyer I'll be coming back to support this LBS.

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 am

went down to Cell Bikes after work as i was looking to get a new front light, after searching the net for a week or so Cell Bikes had the cheapest prices i could find, i work around Parramatta so i thought I'd call the LBS where i bought my new bike from & see if they would price match & i was told straight up no chance :cry: :-( so i thought bugger it off to Stanmore i go anyway Cell Bikes had the Cygolite 330 advertised for $118.14 + GST totaling $129.95 barging i thought considering everywhere else was up around the $180 to @200 mark.
So i get to Cell Bikes & i have a chat with the guy & he has no problem in opening boxes to show me other light also then i say thanks but I'll go for the Cygolite 330 as it's small & powerful enough i think so he scans it up & i couldn't believe it $104 :D :-) great , certainly heading back to Cell Bikes next time i am looking for something well worth the drive i think

cheers Allan

PS tried the light out & it's great plenty bright enough to see where i am going & also to see all the stuff on the road / path , happy days :D
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

Geoffm

Postby Geoffm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I decided to get a bike to ride to work from Putney to Westmead, Sydney, about 17km each way.

I went to Renegade in Lane Cove and they were fantastic. A guy named Nash took me through everything, explained the options, and most importantly, didn't treat me like an idiot! (which I really am, in cycling terms....).

Anyway, I bought a Trek 8.5, which was really good, but I soon realised I didn't really need all the extra weight of shock absorber, disc brakes etc, and the wider tyres, knobbly treads.

Well they have this 90-day thing where you cantake the bike back and swap it if you're not perfectly delighted, and so I did. No questions asked, perfectly happy for me to swap. I swapped the bike to a Trek 7.6 FX, basically a flat-bar road bike with thinner tyres, less weight, no shock absorber, and I really love it.

I've been back for my free 2-month service, and get another at 6 months. Everyone v helpful, patient, and expert.

Jerry68

Postby Jerry68 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Elite Racing Cycles, 164 Beaufort Street Perth WA

My LBS, (at the office anyway).

Every time I ride in and bust a spoke or need other urgent repairs in order to get home they will always help me out. Doesn't matter how busy they are. Once they didn't have a spare spoke so they dismantled a new wheel to source one for me.

Great guys and thoroughly recommended!
Hooray for sarcasm!

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 pm

sorry double post
Last edited by bollo on Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Geoffm wrote:Hi everyone,

I decided to get a bike to ride to work from Putney to Westmead, Sydney, about 17km each way.

I went to Renegade in Lane Cove and they were fantastic. A guy named Nash took me through everything, explained the options, and most importantly, didn't treat me like an idiot! (which I really am, in cycling terms....).

Anyway, I bought a Trek 8.5, which was really good, but I soon realised I didn't really need all the extra weight of shock absorber, disc brakes etc, and the wider tyres, knobbly treads.

Well they have this 90-day thing where you cantake the bike back and swap it if you're not perfectly delighted, and so I did. No questions asked, perfectly happy for me to swap. I swapped the bike to a Trek 7.6 FX, basically a flat-bar road bike with thinner tyres, less weight, no shock absorber, and I really love it.

I've been back for my free 2-month service, and get another at 6 months. Everyone v helpful, patient, and expert.

thats or some good to see great customer service like that in a real world scenario

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 pm

CommuRider wrote:Big thumbs up to the team at Blackman's Parramatta for hopefully my last lbs visit for the year (one more day what could go wrong?)

Anyway, knowledgeable and helpful, will see them again next year when the next bout of upgraditis strikes.
bought my T5 from there & yes they are great with there service department, i have to say that that are way over priced on there accessories compared to Cell Bikes, i called them to see if they would price match & they said not a chance so i went to Cell Bikes & saved around $40 on a cygolite 330 light

Taz

Postby Taz » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey all,

As a newbie to riding I was referred to 'Georges Bike Shop' nearby my place and just wanted to post here to say they really looked after me. Gave me a great price on a 2012 Giant Defy 1 plus accessories and since the buy last week, I've been back 3 times to pick up some other stuff like a pair of Shimanos road shoes, good price, good advice and free servicing = a great experience.

Their located 13 Augusta St Willetton, WA 6155 here in Perth.

Will definately be going back to them when I get the upgraditis itch.

kev007

Postby kev007 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Jerry68 wrote:Elite Racing Cycles, 164 Beaufort Street Perth WA

Every time I ride in and bust a spoke or need other urgent repairs in order to get home they will always help me out. Doesn't matter how busy they are. Once they didn't have a spare spoke so they dismantled a new wheel to source one for me.
That is great service...it would be useful if somehow this thread could be separated so that experiences are shared by state, so people living in a particular state can know that a particular shop is recommended rather than reading the whole thread.