Getting a MTB - need comments pls

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Getting a MTB - need comments pls

Postby NewbieCycle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi, I am looking to get a bike - my budget is around $200-$300. I've gone through the forum (not all of it anyway) and understand that this may be difficult. I'm looking at this for fitness, mainly road (90%) with off-road (10%).

I've looked at CELL DHX-1, ODIN and Repco. I've read that people are not keen on ODIN but no details as to why - comes with a shimano gear derailuers (front/back), shimano gear shifts, disc brakes and dual suspension.

Comments/views on the above three would be really appreciated.

Sorry - forgot to add - I'm in Melbourne - South Eastern Suburbs. Anyone has pointers to second hand dealers/shops will also be welcome.

Regards.
Last edited by NewbieCycle on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewbieCycle

by BNA » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 am

G'day

Welcome to the forums. Are you in WA? I have a cheap Giant Boulder available :).

Seriously have you considered second hand for those dollars? You might pick-up something a lot better than what you can buy new for that amount.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:14 am

G'day Newbie,

I'll reiterate the standard advice with dual suspension on a budget: if you can't spend $1800+, stay away from dual suspension. You can't get a bike with anything decent for less than that in the new market.

Your intended use of 90% road / 10% dirt does not neccessitate suspension on the rear of your bike at all. Rear suspension might be needed if you intend to do 90% downhill dirt and 10% flat dirt. Really, if you're planning to mainly ride on the road, buy a road bike. The hint is in the name! :D

And, I must say, for $300, look at the used market. Seriously. $300 is not enough to enter the new market and end up with a bike you can rely on or have fun on. Remember, if it's not fun, you won't ride it. If you won't ride it, you won't get fit.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby stryker84 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:20 am

Cell seems to have a fairly good rep, though I personally can't say first hand.

ODIN, I'm assuming you're looking at eBay? Well, from what I can see, many issues with that. 1, no service guarantee. 2, it's being put together at best by a production liner, at worst by an untrained hireling who may be following some manual, if you're really lucky, 3, no test riding first. Stay well clear.

Repco, well, it used to be a good brand, but all the new ones are cheap K-Mart bikes, which again means no service guarantees, put together by a kmart worker who probably has no idea about bikes, and no test ride.

Just because it has Shimano stuff, even good Shimano stuff, on it, doesn't make it a good bike. Shimano make componentry from really good top end gear, to bottom-of-barrel-scrapings you'll find on el-cheapo bikes. And any manufacturer can buy the componentry and slap it onto their bike, doesn't mean the bike itself is any good.

If you're at all serious about cycling, and are stuck to that budget, then I would definitely not buy new. For that price, you'll only get a crapola bike that you won't ride. Instead trawl the bike shops and perhaps ebay for good second hand bikes. Then once you get used to the ride, and perhaps can afford a bit more, get yourself a new bike from a good shop. That way you'll know what you like/don't like/want in a bike.
stryker84

Return to Buying a bike / parts