total newbie to purchase a bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

total newbie to purchase a bike

Postby POWderSNOW » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much new to cycling, but I'm a fitness buff and it's something I'd like to add to my activities

I'd like to do mainly road cycling. I've read quite a few threads and the FAQs, and for now I think I'll purchase from a local bike shop rather than go online. I'm prepared to pay a small premium if the shop will give me the right advice and after sales service.

So I'm looking for something entry level. I'm not racing, but I'd like to be flexible enough to ride in a variety of conditions just for recreation. Can people recommend a good shop around Melbourne (or if you can more specifically who would you want to talk to when you go there?) I'm looking for good value, but I don't really need absolute bargain basement prices.

And what would be a bike that's good as a newbie who doesn't know what I really want from cycling? For now it will just be recreational road cycling, but I'd like something that's light enough and good enough that I'll enjoy myself. I'm 175cm tall, 60kgs, and love most ball sports, skiing, ultimate frisbee, horse riding, dancing, tae kwon do, tennis, to name a few.

Anyway, sorry for such a disorganized post... any suggestions and just general advice offered is much appreciated. I'll continue to look up previous threads to get more of an idea.

P.S. I really know absolutely nothing about cycling. I can outdo most people on bike machines, but I don't even know the basics.
POWderSNOW

by BNA » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:45 pm

BNA

Postby POWderSNOW » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:45 pm

BTW I intend to spend $1,000-$1,500 but I'm flexible. I understand that within this range some bikes will be better than others and some better value than others, so I'll really have to visit some bike shops and see for myself... but any suggestions on where to start will be good.

Most general advice has already been given in other newbie threads (yes I am reading...) so I'm specifically looking for recommended reputable local bike shops that will have a decent range, good value, and if there's a friendly knowledgeable and honest salesman you like to deal with then even better. Once again, I'm living in Melbourne.
POWderSNOW

Postby europa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Well, I'm not in Melbourne so I can't offer specifics. However, people's experiences with shops vary so it can be hard to be specific. Also, you're right in the middle of what the type of custome the average shop caters for, so you'll probably find you'll get a good deal no matter where you go. The important thing is fine tuning your mony balony meter and that can only be done by visiting lots of shops.

I'd start with the locals and slowly work outwards. Someone will surely come on and steer you towards some specific shops to try out and sometimes, the biggest shops are the biggest because the best ... other times they're trying to compensate though.

Pricing and availability gets funny from here to Christmas - new models coming out, old stock needing clearing, bikes not being replaced as their sold so you might want that bike in that sized frame but they've just sold the last one and next year's won't be here before hell freezes (at which point you look elsewhere and broaden your tastes, you DON'T buy the wrong sized bike).

If you're luckly, the most convenient shop for you will prove to be the best or at least equal with the best. Don't forget that distances warp on bikes - anything within 15km can be easily ridden to for a part. But you don't HAVE to support the shop that sells you the bike. I'm well known at my lbs and they have failed to sell me a bike despite a few attempts - they've just never had the right machine, but by cripes they've done well with parts and stuff.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Bnej » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Most important thing is right sized frame and some help getting it set up properly. At your prices you should be going for a Tiagra or possibly 105 equipped road bike bike. You're about my size and a little lighter than me, so in a Giant road bike you'd get a Medium frame, other manufacturers would be different.

The Giant OCR range are good bikes to look at, so are the Trek 1200 and 1500. Trek's entry level bikes are a bit more race oriented and a bit lighter, Giants are a little more comfortable (IMO).

Happily you're in the middle of sizing and buying at a common price point, so you should be able to find lots of different bikes to choose from.
Bnej

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:24 pm

G'Day POWderSNOW, welcome to the edge of sanity.

I'll second Bnej about Giants and Treks, quality brands with slightly different aims. My Giant OCR2 is very comfortable for a roadie and the Tiagra kit is excellent for the price.

What part of Melbourne are you from? It might make it easier to recommend a shop, but most of the CBD shops are quite good.

Because you're so new at this game, I'd suggest you check out as many shops as you can and try to have a yarn with any riders you can get to stop, most of us are happy to bang on about our rides for hours :roll:

Call back anytime, we love to help other people spend money :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Wanta-bike » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 pm

if ur in Bayside melb, then i'd recommend kathy watt cycling - really good guys there (tho bias as i live in the area and got me roadie from there :lol: )

ahhh, melb bicycle centre in prahran is also good as their range is quite good. brains not workin anymore and cant think of anythin else....
Wanta-bike

Postby POWderSNOW » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks a lot guys,

I live in the east (Doncaster), and tomorrow I'm getting my hair cut and going to a chain store just to check things out

I'm willing to go anywhere in Melbourne if it's a good store. I have a van to take the bike in.

Beach road is just a little bit *too* far. But i'll check out the melb bicycle centre in Prahran for sure
POWderSNOW

Return to Buying a bike / parts