Polar CS200 Oddity - Fixed!

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I've had two rides on the CF and two on the ally since moving the Polar unit from the stem to the bars and so far (fingers crossed) the computer has been working perfectly :D

Thanks to all that offered their advice.

Lesson learnt: wireless is nice but can be VERY sensitive when it comes to the placement of the computer and the sensors.

David

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Glad it worked out for you Dave. When you're on the limits of these things, they can be very fussy. Since I've got mine sorted, it's been (almost) flawless.

That 'almost' happened on Sunday. I often ride through a tunnel under some railway lines. My computer has never given me a hassle through there. On sunday, it appears I managed a Doctor Who like effort of getting from one end to the other WHILE STATIONARY :shock:

At least the HRM insisted I was still alive :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:38 am

I've just got one of these too and am having a couple of teething problems as well. I also have the computer mounted on the stem and would prefer to keep it there as I ride a Giant ATX860 MTB with riser bars that bend up where I would position the computer.
So far the cadence is working well but I'm getting pauses in distance and speed (Doctor Who like Richard...). Because I'm on a front suspension MTB I have a huge gap between forks and spokes so I have positioned the sensor and magnet down near the hub where the gap is smallest and I can keep the sensor in a relatively aero position by facing forwards.
Would I be better to move the sensor up the forks and closer to the computer and twist the sensor inwards toward the spokes to get the 4mm distance from the magnet required?

Hope that makes sense :lol:

europa

Postby europa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:05 am

Before doing anything else, mount the computer on the bars first, just to see what happens. Far too many people talk about problems ... and have the computer on the stem, it's about the only common denominator that stands out.

Richard

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 am

I hate it when my stubbornness proves me wrong...

Moved the computer to the bars (not a great fit) and suddenly my commute in Melbourne's lovely rain this morning went from Tuesdays effort of 15.4 km to 16.3 km :shock:. The only beeps I heard were when stopped at lights and didn't notice any strange readings; although, as it was wet I was concentrating on the road more than usual. Now I just need bars that have a wider flat section to mount the thing properly :?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 am

Blybo wrote:Now I just need bars that have a wider flat section to mount the thing properly :?
Oh yes, I know that feeling.

Glad it was something simple, even if the cure isn't. I guess if they were to make the radio signals stronger or the unit more sensitive, you'd get all sorts of interference from riders next to you or from outside sources - there was a thread a while back about a railway station in Perth that caused constant consternation to cycling computers :D (nothin' like a bit of harmless alliteration with your morning coffee :wink: )

Richard

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:37 am

Yep I read that thread. I'm also thinking about whether the issue may be that the computer needs clear air under the front edge of the computer as this may be where the sensor pick up is. I'm no electronics expert but that seems like the only significant difference between the two mounting points I've tried.

Does anybody have the computer mounted on the very top of the stem where it holds the bars and if so has it been reliable?

I guess it will only cost 5 minutes and 2 cable ties to find out. On a separate issue does anybody use the sonic link upload? I tried mine the other day but keep getting errors. Are there any other options to upload?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:18 am

Blybo wrote: On a separate issue does anybody use the sonic link upload? I tried mine the other day but keep getting errors. Are there any other options to upload?
I've only tried it once - to change the total kms covered, so it was going from desktop to computer. I found I needed to have the desktop sound turned up as loud as possible to make it work. The manual and the online instructions are useless. I haven't tried it going the other way, ie from the computer to the desktop.

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:22 pm

Blybo wrote:Now I just need bars that have a wider flat section to mount the thing properly :?
Just wondering if you've got enough real estate beside the controls on your risers to mount the 'puter above the rise?

Might be worth a look...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Prime real estate above the riser unfortunately. I recently hacked about an inch off each end of the bars and fitted Specialized ergo grips and rubberized/molded bar ends. Much better comfort on longer rides but less space as the Specialized grips are wider than the OEM Giant ones. Next to the stem and half way up the riser it is for this stead. There may be a proper roadie in the pipe line though 8)

The polar mount is very wide compared to other computers I've seen but MTB's/Flat bar roadies were probably never even considered in the design process. I bet this changes with the next evolution of the CS200

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:31 am

I seem to have the speed and cadence sorted now but do you guy's get more interference with the hrm in windy conditions or if a ride partner has a polar too? 75kms of useless hr read outs yesterday, this really doesn't help when downloading to the polar training site either :evil:
The older I get, the better I was...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:48 am

Blybo wrote:I seem to have the speed and cadence sorted now but do you guy's get more interference with the hrm in windy conditions or if a ride partner has a polar too? 75kms of useless hr read outs yesterday, this really doesn't help when downloading to the polar training site either :evil:
No,other riders Polar dosen't mater to me,otherwise in a race where 50% of the riders have them I wouldn't know where i was.Wind also makes no difference to me.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Hhmm, I bought the cs200cad on ebay and emailed the seller (who sells lots of tyres and tubes etc) with my initial fears a week ago. No reply yet so I've just forwarded it again.

Funnily enough the ride partner is the missus and I got her a polar F11 for her birthday, hers was playing up yesterday at similar times to mine so that was why we though the wind may increase the range of electro magnetic interference. I rode parts of yesterday course with no problems/interference last week.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:34 pm

I doubt the wind had anything to do with it. However, you might have been unlucky enough to go through an area of interference.

I've heard reports of units upsetting each other. I find it a little hard to believe because I've seen how close I have to be to mine to get it to register, but distance and electronics are funny things so I'm guessing your wife's unit and yours were conflicting. I've seen some charts on which ones are coded (thus 'protected') and which ones aren't, can't remember where it was. Might have been on here so a search might produce some useful info.

Richard

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks Richard.
Both models are supposedly coded but this could be the problem. We both only need to get within a metre or so of the computer or watch respectively to pick up the sensor.

We went on a path next to Eastern Fwy (Melbourne) that is part of my commute and there has only been interference for me in this area once before when the northerlies were blowing, calmer days have been no problem. This is really annoying because my commute is next to the Eastern Fwy most of the way and I'll pissed if I get interference every time the wind gets up as it will more and more this time of year. On yesterday's 4 hour ride it said I was above my zone for about 1 hour 10 minutes, yet my head tells me I wouldn't have been above for more than 10-15 minutes on some hills as I was going at Rachel's pace (not the wife yet :lol: )