Obrea Gatika 08. Bike for SWMBO???

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Obrea Gatika 08. Bike for SWMBO???

Postby Blybo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm looking to get the missus a better/faster bike so that we both get a good workout when riding the bike paths and hard pack trials around Melbourne. I'm currently on a Giant ATX 860 '01 model MTB customized for commuting but would also consider flat bar roadie for myself if we get even keener. She is on a 12 month old Giant Cypress atm.

What do you guy's think of the Obrea Gatika 08 flat bar roadie for the purpose? She does need the adjustable stem to sit more upright due to an old arm injury preventing too much weight applied to the bars. RRP is around $1500

Thanks in advance for advice on this purchase.

Cheers,
Neil
Blybo

by BNA » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:25 pm

BNA

Postby stryker84 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:25 pm

If you haven't tried it already, perhaps trial narrower tyres on the Cypress? That'd improve the rolling resistance? I know the 2006 Cypress had 40mm tyres, switching down to abt 23/28mm could make a bit of difference. If it's just on hard pack trails and bike paths, this shouldn't be too much of an issue, though on the trails a bit more caution with handling might be called for.

As I see it, a lot of the reason for a "flat bar roadie", compared to a "normal" hybrid is the slightly more stretched out position, and if you're going to adjust the stem in to negate this, well, i don't know. Seems a bit wasteful...

Otherwise, your call. I don't know the Gatika, but Orbea are one of the more premium mainstream brands, or less expensive premium brand, if you wish... you may get something similar at cheaper rate with a common brand like Giant/Avanti/Apollo/Shogun etc.

Just my 2c, and only an educated guess. Anyone else?
stryker84

Postby MountGower » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:51 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby Bnej » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:32 pm

MountGower wrote:I would just add that a decrease in tyre width won't improve rolling resistance, it will actually increase it.

Depends. A fatter tyre has lower rolling resistance at the same pressure, but any 23mm tyre will run with a higher pressure than say a 26x1.5 or a 700x32 say.

If I could run my 26x1.5s at 110PSI they might compare to my 700x23s, but as it is the 23mm tyre is faster in all respects.

In a 26" Tyre, the Conti sport contact in 26x1.3 will roll better than any fat slick, because you can pump it up to 105 PSI (or 80 if you want to be sensible).
Bnej

Postby europa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Welcome to the asylum Neil.

What does your wife think?

Have you considered recumbents - they support your back?

Richard

note to the cynics - notice that I did NOT suggest a fixed gear recumbent? :shock:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:14 am

thanks for the advice guy's.
Richard, I don't really think she knows what all the fuss is about with a newer/better bike but I'm copping flak because I'm losing weight and she's not; not that she needs to anyway. My guess is that her riding intensity to keep up with me is too high in order to lose weight. I'm no athlete (yet) but lived on my BMX as a kid so riding is in the blood. I was under the impression that flat bar roadies were much, much lighter and faster than a basic to middle range hybrid like the one she has.

No offense to recumbent riders but I don't think thats her style.

I cant post links as yet but if you google Orbea Gatika the freedom machine link shows a good photo.
Blybo

Postby europa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:35 am

No offence if she doesn't like recumbents - they aren't for everyone.

Mate, if she doesn't want a new bike, don't push it. Women tend to be less interested in the machinery than men and are often happy to plug along on some old clunker while their man can see all the virtues of a better bike.

I'd suggest just finding opportunities to stop off at lots of different bike shops, and while you're there, do the traditional 'dribble and dream' on the good stuff. Sooner or later, she'll see something that catches her eye. Trouble is, she might do a Moo and fall in love with a full carbon rocket ship :shock:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:55 am

Well it's her birthday today and we have to go to the LBS at lunch time to change a Pearl Izumi top I bought her that is the wrong cut so I'll get her to ride the Gatika while we are there and see what she thinks.
Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 am

Looks like she will be getting the Gatika :D .

We went for a 75km training ride yesterday as the ATB ride is only a month away. Quite stupid in that wind really :roll:. On the way home I took her through Studley park and up on to Yarra Boulevard for some hills practice. It almost killed her and she now wants all the help she can get.

Now I just need to work out what to get myself. I really like the Gatika too but would prefer a more road orientated wheelset. The OEM ones are more for touring I think.
The older I get, the better I was...
Blybo

Return to Buying a bike / parts