Mountain Bike shoes

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby europa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 pm

And, of course, I cross posted with Wanta-bike :?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

by BNA » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:19 am

BNA

Postby stryker84 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:19 am

hmm, query, could you compromise (assuming the hole system fit) and use road cleats on MTB shoes, perhaps having to trim some thread, but hmm... retain "walkability" but still get some benefit from the wider contact? won't be as good as a road shoe, i suppose, with carbon soale, less flex, yadayada... just pondering...

i suppose other compromise is to get CB Quattro road cleats/pedals, with walking pontoons. Looks like they'd still have slight walking issues, but not as much as having bare cleat on ground.
stryker84

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:30 pm

There are CF soled MTB shoes out there.

Walkability is a very big issue if the ride is a part of your life.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Double-Gee » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:22 am

I was passing the LBS that is close to work last week and went in to make some general enquiries about MTB shoes with the view to using htem on both the roadie and MTB. Bad move - the rotten buggers had a large selection going out at half price so I just had to buy some. I picked up some Shimano SH-MT40 Recreational MTB Shoes which I'm pretty impressed with so far. They are less bulky that the hiking shoes, but equally firm and warmer than the old joggers, but equally light.

I'm still looking at option for pedals and cleats and am looking at possibly the PD-M424 on the MTB and either the M520 or A520 for the roadie.

Trying shoes on is a must as the same size in different brands did vary in the few I tried. I'm still deciding between saving $$ on Ebay for pedals or paying a bit more and getting support (if need be) from a LBS???
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa
Double-Gee

Postby Bnej » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:10 am

I have M520s on my road bike, and they're quite okay, but if you're really hammering the pedals they can feel a bit sloppy and I have pulled out unintentionally just by dragging the pedal up twice.

M324s on my MTB similar results, though it's less of a problem since you don't climb out of the saddle so much.

I found both to be perfect until my legs started getting much stronger. They're still adequate for my needs though I am starting to think about road shoes & pedals for the road bike. I think either is a good pedal to start with, I started with the 324 and it is handy if you want to use regular shoes now and then.
Bnej

Postby europa » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:14 am

Bnej wrote:I started with the 324 and it is handy if you want to use regular shoes now and then.

And to remind yourself how much better it is using clips :roll:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby stryker84 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:40 am

Double-Gee wrote:Trying shoes on is a must as the same size in different brands did vary in the few I tried.

Very true. Even the same size in the SAME brand can vary a bit in fit as well, so yes, trying them on is a must.
stryker84

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts