Sigma BC1609 Wired or Cateye Strada Cadence wired?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Postby Sepoy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 pm

My Cateye Strada basic computer slipped out of the holster and was crushed by a car today, giving me the perfect excuse to finally get a computer with Cadence. I have a choice between these two models, both costing about the same. Anyone know which one I'd be better off with, I can't find many reviews for the Sigma, but I'm a little wary of the Cateye's mounting bracket now. Thanks.
Trek 1.7 2009
Cell MTX-O 2010
Sepoy

by BNA » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:06 pm

BNA

Re: Sigma BC1609 Wired or Cateye Strada Cadence wired?

Postby chamitha » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:06 pm

I have a Sigma 1609 STS wireless computer with support for Cadence and have no issues with it. I like the larger screen and the memory which enables battery replacement without the loss of data which is what tipped me towards it over the Cateye at the time. Never used a Cateye computer so will not comment!
chamitha

Postby Wino » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm

I've got a Cateye Strada. Had it for about a year and its been great in all weather. Really easy to click through functions. No issues. The fixture has been fine.

The only possible consideration is the length of the wires and where the sensors are placed. Only just long enough on my XL frame. Otherwise all good.
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black
Wino

Postby RobertFrith » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:17 pm

I bought a Cateye wireless cadence model recently. It's nice works well and everything, but I noticed after the first few days of riding with it that I wasn't using the cadence function. Every time I did it didn't seem to dip below 79 or rise above 99. in fact I've realised I can live without the ave speed function as well; I just watch for when the higher than arrow changes to a lower than arrow :D
Total ride time has never meant anything to me. My activity on bikejournal.com takes care of total distance (divisible by bike and/or year/month/day) (should I ever manage to develop an interest in that)
I sense in my heart of hearts the genesis of a suspicion. In time it could evolve into an opinion. I admit it may not be worth anything, but my suspicion is that my opinion will be that complex computers could get in the way of an enjoyable ride.
RobertFrith

Postby Wino » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:13 am

Similar (I think). I probably dont use the cadence that often. for the first few weeks i was constantly checking but now Ive learned what 90 or 100 feels like so no need to check. Occasionally I still use it on hills. Now I think its probably a 'nice to have' but no biggy if I didnt.
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black
Wino

Postby Sepoy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:46 am

chamitha wrote:I have a Sigma 1609 STS wireless computer with support for Cadence and have no issues with it. I like the larger screen and the memory which enables battery replacement without the loss of data which is what tipped me towards it over the Cateye at the time. Never used a Cateye computer so will not comment!

Thanks, the data preserving sounds like something I'd like to have. As for the necessity of cadence, I think mine might be a little off so even if it is only useful for the first few weeks it'll still be worthwhile in my opinion.
Trek 1.7 2009
Cell MTX-O 2010
Sepoy

Postby cinnyis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi everyone. I thought I'd hijack this thread rather than start another identical one.
I am also trying to choose between the wired versions of these computers. I want to be able to user the computer on 2 bikes (different wheel sizes) AND buy the fittings for the second bike so I can just clip on the computer rather than reattaching everything. This is where I'm a little confused:
- Sigma will let me use it between 2 bikes but I can't find anyone that sells just the fittings.
- I can buy the strada fittings on wiggle but I'm not 100% sure this computer actually let's you use it on two bikes.
- (edit) does the strada have a backlight like the sigma? It doesn't look like it.

If anyone who has one of these computers can answer my questions that would be great! At this point I'm leaning toward buying two sigmas and forgetting it allows you to fit to two bikes...
Dey see me rollin'
o__ ~~
_>/ _ ~~~
(_)\(_) ~~~~ Dey hatin'
cinnyis

Postby waynohh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:30 pm

It doesn't have backlight.
waynohh

Postby ejayt » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Did anyone find out where you can buy the extra cadence and wheels sensors for a second bike?
ejayt

Postby wombatK » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:46 pm

ejayt wrote:Did anyone find out where you can buy the extra cadence and wheels sensors for a second bike?

Try http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/conten ... puter.html . Their price on the wired computer
looks ok too.

Think I've also seen the extra bits at Cell's stanmore store - but that was a couple years ago.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby CyclingBear » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 pm

I just purchased the sigma bc 1609 sts + cadence and am having a problem with it. Both the speed and cadence display normally for a minute or so then indicate zero the next, both displays do this independently of each other, both continue this behaviour continually.

My local bike shop (they fitted it) told me that I need to turn the unit on and off, I cant see any reference to this in the book?

yes I will need to go back to the shop but wondered if anyone has any ideas about what might be causing this issue, seems ok other then that.

Pete
CyclingBear

Return to Buying a bike / parts