TT Bike with Road setup????

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

TT Bike with Road setup????

Postby Henno77 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:19 am

Hi,

I have a Felt DA Time Trial/Triathlon bike which I have been using to race in some tri's over the past season. I have decided I would like to do more longer rides (hills etc) and the TT setup is not great/comfortable when sitting up from the aero position. Is it possible to change from a full TT setup to a road setup (drops, sti shifters) and still achieve a comfortable riding position. I am aware the seat angle is steeper on a TT frame but thought I could move the seat back to compensate? Any opinions??
Henno77

by BNA » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

BNA

Re: TT Bike with Road setup????

Postby Sumichino » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am

I have been considering doing something similar although I don't have a TT bike yet. I think the only tricky part is the geometry. You might need to play around with the seatpost and stem to get it right but as long as the top tube isn't too long then it's possible. An LBS should be able to do a proper bike fit to get the geometry right though. There should be no problem just changing over the parts, however, STIs are much more expensive than TT shifters. Also the bike may be a little bit heavier than a standard road bike and the gearing is not suited to climbing hills at all. So at the least you're looking at a new stem, handlebars, STIs and possibly also a new cassette, chainrings/crankset and seatpost. It's certainly all possible but you would definitely need to talk to an expert on geometry to get it set up right.
Giant TCR Advanced 2
Giant Defy 3
Wayne Roberts Pursuit
Sumichino

Postby JV911 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 pm

saw a TT-framed fixie the other day so anything is possible
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Is it possible to reverse the seatpost :? to get some setback?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby hanzao » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Highly recommending getting another bike, just converting the parts to a road bike is not really cheap. I recently converted my S2 close to a TT bike but without the true TT bars.

New seat post + TT saddle + tri-bars + pro-fit = AWESOME speed on the flat but pain in the ass to ride in a pack & up hills. I recently did a cycosportif event and struggled but then it was the first time i used that setup on these event and wont be doing it again.
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook
hanzao

Return to Buying a bike / parts