Camelbak Mule

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Camelbak Mule

Postby senator52 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:38 am

I am about to purchase a hydration pack for various purposes, not the least my intention to do some mountain biking in the forseeable future. I work at Ranger Camping and Outdoors (plug for my store :P ) so Im looking at the Camelbak range because I will get a good deal. I was wondering for those who already have a pack, how big do you need? Id like this pack to be able to contain a 3-4hrs ride/hikes worth of gear, tubes, first aid kit etc. Do you find the Camelbak Mule to be large enough, because that is what I am leaning towards atm or would a Blowfish or H.A.W.G be a better long term investment. I dont mind a bigger pack, as long as it doesnt become cumbersome.
senator52

by BNA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:36 am

BNA

Re: Camelbak Mule

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:36 am

senator52 wrote: I work at Ranger Camping and Outdoors (plug for my store :P )

G'day

Off-topic reply, but have you guys learnt how to set up Black Wolf packs yet :?: Every person who comes on one my intro backpacks who has a Black Wolf has it fitted incorrectly. First question asked ... get it from Ranger Camping? Answer is always yes ... next 15 minutes spent adjusting the packs properly :-)

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby senator52 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Hmmm, well I cant speak for all stores of course, but I do know that our store does a proper fit. You can bend supports in the back of the packs to contour with your back, and a good fit will make sure this is done. Some customers arent aware when they buy a pack that you can do this, and sometimes try to leave, and Ive seen staff call a customer back inside when they hurry off to make sure we fit it. So Im only talking from one stores experience, but yes we have.
senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:17 pm

In regards to the Mule, plenty of space? Or should I look for something bigger (Blowfish or HAWG)

Thanks, dean
senator52

Postby Deanj » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Remember having the same problem when I was buying mine. Reckon I went in the shop about 5 times before I finally decided. It really comes down to what your going to be using it for and what you want to carry. Will you just be using it for rides or are you planning to use it for commuting?
I only use mine on MTB rides and with me I carry spare tube, multi tool, chain tool, tyre levers, house keys and phone. All this I get in a small saddle bag. So the hydration pack is only used for water. Also carry a pump which is attached to the frame. I ended up going for the rogue, think its got 2 litre capacity a small zip pouch and an elastic pouch. Just for rides I find it the perfect size. Best thing to do is get everything together that you'll be taking on you and see how you go getting it all in. The mule looks a little big to me for riding but may be better for you depending what you carry hiking.
Deanj

Postby triode12 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 pm

senator52 wrote:In regards to the Mule, plenty of space? Or should I look for something bigger (Blowfish or HAWG)

Thanks, dean

I've got the H.A.W.G., I am able to fit my helmet in it. It makes a good daypack for hikes and travelling as it has enough hydration for two people.

But I also bought a Camel Classic for when I don't want to carry such a large pack on short rides (20-40kms). However, the classic will not carry much more than a wallet and keys.

The Mule should fit somewhere in between those two.
Last edited by triode12 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
triode12

Postby alchemist » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:13 pm

I find the Mule plenty big enough, even for all day epics.

The only time I need something bigger would be when I leading a group where I have some responsibility for their well-being.
alchemist

Postby senator52 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Well it sounds like the Mule will give me plenty of space then. I will only be using it for MTB rides, no commuting or the like. Look good, sits well and holds plenty of water. Thanks for the help, dean.
senator52

Postby ShanDog » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 am

I have the camelbak havoc. It has 3L and is designed for bicycle riders to use with a lean towards off road riders (which I used to be). It has straps to hold a bike pump, a water proof pocket for valuables, an expandable section to chuck ur helmet in when ur not using it, a softer pocket for putting ur sunnies/goggles. It is also expandable/contractable so for shorter rides with less gear u can reduce the size and vice versa. I've gone on +8hr rides and found it to be great with food, tools etc. sometimes I chuck a water bottle on my bike for just a little extra.

thats about all I have to say about that. :P
ShanDog

Return to Buying a bike / parts