buying a road bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

buying a road bike

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 am

Hi All,

Well after some months riding a mountain bike on the road, that I did all I could to make it like a road bike :-) , I have finally decided to get a road bike, preferably with drop bars.

My budget is under $1000. I found one on the cell bikes page which looked like it might suit me, the Blade road bike for $649. However, they are out of stock till the end of next month.

Another one that came up is KEEWEE K-Lite Comp 2007 from the torpedo7 website which from what I can gather from past posts is a fairly reliable online shop. But I can't find any info on anyone who has this bike though.

Is there any other bikes anyone can suggest?

Thanks, Tim.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

by BNA » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 pm

BNA
 

Postby Birdman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Another popular roadie that alot of people seem to like at the moment is the 'Giant - CRX2 or 3".

Might be worth a look at at your LBS.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...
User avatar
Birdman
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:25 am
Location: Rutherford, Maitland, NSW....god's country

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the reply, but I was looking more for something with drop bars (I think thats what they are called) rather than a flat bar road bike.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:51 pm

I think if you are getting your first road bike it's worth going to a bike shop and getting an entry level bike fitted and set up for you. If you buy from Cell or Torpedo 7 you're pretty much on your own. Fit and set up is very important.

You can get an OCR 2 or a Trek 1000 for around the $1000 mark. These have a better fork (carbon vs alloy, better quality too), better hubs, tyres, etc than the Cell so it's not really any worse value.
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 pm

If dropbars are what you want, the Giant OCR3 or 2 at $700-1000 would be within your budget.
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Bnej,

In regards to what you are saying about the LBS, I was of the same opinion when I bought my mountain bike. My experience with them from that day to now has been terrible. This is not a small shop either. Actually, because its quite big thats probably why its always youngs kids who are working who have not been helpful at all. Maybe I could try a different shop.

I will walk in to shop when I get closer to a decision too, I just always like to get a feel for what to expect for my price range. I feel that the internet is the best way for me to do this.

Thanks.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Triode12,

Yes I am familiar with the giant ocr range (in that I have considered them) but the ocr 2 (for $1000) has the same groupset as the cell Blade I mentioned earlier (for $649). I guess this means that either the giant has better components (frame, wheels etc) or there is a bit of 'pay for the giant name' going on? What do you think?
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby Bnej » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 pm

If your LBS is rubbish that's unfortunate, mine has been very good - it does depend on what the operators of the shop are like.

There is a bit of pay for the name, but not much, the industry is very competitive and there isn't much room for adding price without value.

Hubs, wheels, headset, bottom bracket, frame quality (nicer welding), fork quality, etc. all make a difference, the biggest one is carbon vs alloy fork. An alloy fork will be very stiff and will send vibrations straight through into your hands. That can be really unpleasant on a long ride.

So while you do get the same group set, you don't get the same bike.
User avatar
Bnej
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Katoomba, NSW

Postby mattyb » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Isn't the Blade and flat bar and the OCR drop bar?
That would be the difference in price.

edit .. oops my bad.
mattyb
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 am
Location: Box Hill (Melbourne), VIC

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 pm

The Blade's gruppo isn't the same as the OCR2.
The OCR2 looks like it has a triple crank and 9 speed gruppo.
While the Blade has the 8 speed Sora gruppo.i.e. older gruppo

The Blade however, has Sora brakes while the OCR uses (cheaper) Tektro brakes.

The OCR2 has a carbon fork(which would add significantly to the cost of the bike). The OCR 2 also has a FSA carbon seat post.

Whether the differences justify a $300 difference in price?
I can't say. The differences probably won't make me go any faster if I was riding the bike.

I'd rather purchase a used but nice steel bike off Ebay for under $100 and replace the parts with brand new 105 gruppo off PBK.
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Ok thanks for the replies so far, they have been helpful. I am leaning towards a giant ocr 2 now after some good points have been made. I think though to get a competitive price I may have to head to Sydney (I am in Newcastle) as some stores have it for $1000 and I'd say the best price I could get in Newcastle would be $1200~$1300.

Anyway, I will keep looking for now so any more help would be good.

Thanks, Tim.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby mikeg » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:28 pm

tim_james wrote:Ok thanks for the replies so far, they have been helpful. I am leaning towards a giant ocr 2 now after some good points have been made. I think though to get a competitive price I may have to head to Sydney (I am in Newcastle) as some stores have it for $1000 and I'd say the best price I could get in Newcastle would be $1200~$1300.


Get the price on a card from the Sydney Shop you are considering, and tell your local shop that you would like to do business locally with them, and ask if they can/will match the price of the Sydney Shop(s).

Warranty fixes can be difficult if you have to take back to place of purchase.

I purchased my Specialized Sirrus Pro from Woolys Wheels Paddington, & I live near Parramatta, because of difficulty of finding stock in shops around Sydney. The RH crank developed a cracks on both sides of the crank arm on the original Specialized brand cranks. Firstly they replaced the 105 Octalink BB and cranks with Shimano 2200 Cranks and square taper BB. Then they fitted a Tiagra Cranks to the Original 105 BB, and I found they were not compatible (continually came loose on a 20 km ride). I was lucky they weren't stuffed. The shop appeared to not know about the differences between V1 and V2 Octalink BB versions, so it had to go back a third time to put the compatible BB on. The distributors were reluctant to replace with a 105 or Ultegra 9 speed Crankset to match the BB. Apart from the in-house crank the bike was originally a mix of 105 and Ultegra level components on a flat bar road bike.

The experience was a royal PIA, and at the time I should have just picked up an 105 or Ultegra triple crank of ebay, and replaced it myself.

So, do your best to get the local shop to do their best to price-match.

Phantom Cycles are reasonably competitive on prices and list on their website the 2008 OCR 2 for $899.

Mike
mikeg
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: NW Sydney

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 pm

mikeg wrote:
tim_james wrote:Ok thanks for the replies so far, they have been helpful. I am leaning towards a giant ocr 2 now after some good points have been made. I think though to get a competitive price I may have to head to Sydney (I am in Newcastle) as some stores have it for $1000 and I'd say the best price I could get in Newcastle would be $1200~$1300.


Get the price on a card from the Sydney Shop you are considering, and tell your local shop that you would like to do business locally with them, and ask if they can/will match the price of the Sydney Shop(s).

Warranty fixes can be difficult if you have to take back to place of purchase.

I purchased my Specialized Sirrus Pro from Woolys Wheels Paddington, & I live near Parramatta, because of difficulty of finding stock in shops around Sydney. The RH crank developed a cracks on both sides of the crank arm on the original Specialized brand cranks. Firstly they replaced the 105 Octalink BB and cranks with Shimano 2200 Cranks and square taper BB. Then they fitted a Tiagra Cranks to the Original 105 BB, and I found they were not compatible (continually came loose on a 20 km ride). I was lucky they weren't stuffed. The shop appeared to not know about the differences between V1 and V2 Octalink BB versions, so it had to go back a third time to put the compatible BB on. The distributors were reluctant to replace with a 105 or Ultegra 9 speed Crankset to match the BB. Apart from the in-house crank the bike was originally a mix of 105 and Ultegra level components on a flat bar road bike.

The experience was a royal PIA, and at the time I should have just picked up an 105 or Ultegra triple crank of ebay, and replaced it myself.

So, do your best to get the local shop to do their best to price-match.

Phantom Cycles are reasonably competitive on prices and list on their website the 2008 OCR 2 for $899.

Mike


Beware of phantom cycle's prices - they are ex-GST. Some people have been fooled into thinking they were getting a bargain until it was too late.

And talk of PITA getting to their place, they are way out in Woop Woop (Tahmoor).

I agree with the suggestion to buy the bike from a BS close to you.
Last edited by triode12 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby tim_james » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Mike,

I guess I could try that, but as I mentioned I haven't had much luck with my LBS. When I was purchasing my shoes, they were $107 (including postage) from cell bikes while they were $140 at the LBS. I called LBS and told them my story (i bought my bike there and would like to continue buying from them) and asked about price matching and was told that he would have to talk to the manager and call me back. After 3 days with no return call I bought them from cell bikes.

Also I am not sure who else stocks Giant bikes around here so I don't have many choices.

Tim.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 am

triode12 wrote:Beware of phantom cycle's prices - they are ex-GST. Some people have been fooled into thinking they were getting a bargain until it was too late.

Are you sure they are ex-GST?

One, I think that is illegal (ACCC would like to know) and two I just went through to checkout with a OCR Alliance and it was to be charged to me at the quoted price. No add on of GST.

Maybe they have changed their approach.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20152
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby triode12 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 am

Aushiker wrote:
triode12 wrote:Beware of phantom cycle's prices - they are ex-GST. Some people have been fooled into thinking they were getting a bargain until it was too late.

Are you sure they are ex-GST?

One, I think that is illegal (ACCC would like to know) and two I just went through to checkout with a OCR Alliance and it was to be charged to me at the quoted price. No add on of GST.

Maybe they have changed their approach.

Andrew


Yes, Thomas Cho and I have personal (but separate) experiences. We didn't go thru the web but dealt direct. Suffice to say, he has lost our patronage for future purchases. His loss really as I am about to spend $5K on a new bike.

And his web prices are RRP anyway so there is no difference buying from a BS close to you. Actually, you would probably get a better deal off your LBS than you would off his website. Not to mention the online stores like PBK and Chainreaction cycles.
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby alchemist » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:52 am

First time I've ever heard anyone have a bad thing to say about the Phantom. I've certainly never had any problems over many years.
alchemist
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Postby triode12 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:25 am

alchemist wrote:First time I've ever heard anyone have a bad thing to say about the Phantom. I've certainly never had any problems over many years.


Then we'd be the "lucky" ones then.

Several times I was kept waiting in the store for inordinate amounts of time while he served other customers (who had arrived after I did). And this was when I was purchasing the bike and accessories.
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby tim_james » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Well I just visited a different LBS (different one that I bought my MTB from) that stocks avanti and specialized. The guy who helped me was much more helpful to anyone I had previously encountered when I bought my MTB. They had some discounted 07 stock, but unfortunately nothing in my size. I like the look of the 08 Avanti Monza, which has Sora Shimano components and a carbon fork for $1200. Price seems spot on with other retailers as well. The colour (red) is also much more appealing than the 07 model (which is like grey/black/blue I think). I haven't had a ride yet, but I am not sure it matters too much. I am of the opinion that coming from a MTB any road bike is going to feel different for the short time I test ride it.

This could be the bike for me.
tim_james
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:55 am

Postby Blybo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:26 pm

tim_james wrote:I haven't had a ride yet, but I am not sure it matters too much. I am of the opinion that coming from a MTB any road bike is going to feel different for the short time I test ride it.

This could be the bike for me.


Im in much the same position as the starter of the $1500 budget for roadie thread. Yes they (Road bikes) will all feel different to the MTB; I can tell that just by standing over a few, but they will also feel different to each other.

Feeling comfortable with the ride and handling of any bike is paramount, component sets and frame materials although important are secondary, although the carbon forks will help the ride. I'm looking at a Masi and the shop was trying to get me to ride an upmarket model with full carbon frame in the same geometry as a test ride; "No thanks, I wait till you get my size in the model I'm looking at."
The older I get, the better I was...
User avatar
Blybo
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: Inner Eastern Subs, Melbourne

Re: buying a road bike

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 pm

tim_james wrote:Hi All,
=
My budget is under $1000. I found one on the cell bikes page which looked like it might suit me, the Blade road bike for $649. However, they are out of stock till the end of next month.



I've bought one of these - GREAT BIKE so far :D I've done about 200km, and after a quick post purchase tighten up service after it's all worn in a little, it's good as gold.

If you can hold off for a little while they are worth the wait, or otherwise they have the CELL Team bike on special at the moment for just over $1000 (almost makes me wish I'd waited juuuust a little longer to buy).

Cheers,

Mike
User avatar
uncle arthur
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:38 pm

We recently upgraded the Mrs to a trek pilot 1.0.

Very neat package all up though one thing i have found to be of cheapish quality has been the brakes , but a visit to ebay later tonight should remedy that the 105 sets are fairly cheap.


Has anyone got a ocr2 they could throw on the scales or know the spec weight ? might be interesting to compare bike weight of the race entry models :)
Halfanewb
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby europa » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:40 pm

There's a whole thread devoted to people weighing their bikes on here somewhere. Be blowed if I can remember what it's called though nor can I think if a suitable search - it'll answer your question though if you can find it.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:47 am

triode12 wrote:Then we'd be the "lucky" ones then.

I can only comment on my purchasing from them over the net (once) and over the phone (once) and I found their service very good and helpful. Would deal with them again, but then I haven't tried to buy a bike from them in-store.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20152
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Postby triode12 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:41 am

Aushiker wrote:
triode12 wrote:Then we'd be the "lucky" ones then.

I can only comment on my purchasing from them over the net (once) and over the phone (once) and I found their service very good and helpful. Would deal with them again, but then I haven't tried to buy a bike from them in-store.

Regards
Andrew


They are friendly, the point I was making was that one had to be careful with their verbal quotes - they are all ex-GST. It is not till you get your card back do you realise this.
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit