Winged bars

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Winged bars

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Does anyone have any experience with "winged" handlebars? I fell in love with a set on a Ridley Noah and they felt brilliant to rest the hands on. I haven't ridden with them yet, but was wondering if anyone has them, or used them. Looks like there would be more comfortable hand positions on them.

Unfortunately, Ritchey don't seem to do one I'm keen on yet (have to keep matchinig bike bits :oops: ), but here is a link to an FSA model that is the sort of thing I was looking at (though not sure whether to get the integrated stem or not as this leads to other issues).

I am also not sure if I ever want to attach tt bars as a 1/2 iron (wo)man triathalon is on the cards in the next 12-24 months. Not sure if this would be a limiting factor - especially if I went with the integrated stem.

Any thoughts and opinions welcomed :D
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

by BNA » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:08 pm

BNA
 

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Not sure 'bout the integrated stem Moo, but you've said that already, lack of adjustability in bar rotation would have me saying no.

You must have a stem mount for your 'puter as I can't see any standard units fitting on the flattened section with any degree of ease.

I'm no carbon guru, so laugh if you must... does the flattened section create any dramas from an engineering POV re stress risers and stuff?

Take this waffle as you like mate, they surely look nicely different, go for them if you find some you can love (Tri bars notwithstanding). :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25694
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 pm

I had a set of these a while back,no fault of there own but i had to throw them as they where on a bike that went under a car even thou there wasn't a mark on them but carbon bars i wasn't taking the risk.They were very comfortable,not super stiff but unless you are grunting it in the sprint you wont notice.I always set the top of the bar parralell to the the ground so that is the position you run them.Yes you will need a stem mounted computer.Lights are a bit hard to fit.Tri bars are a no no.But you can get the tri bars that mount on the front of the stem plate instead of the bars...but I found only certain models of these would work.They are no lighter than alloy bars,probably heavier if anything.But I would recommend them if you spend alot of time riding on the flats (of the bars that is).But you can also get gel inserts that go under your bar tape on normal bars which are pretty comfy.
I have an unwanted set new from a prize that I got a while back.
http://www.amoebaparts.com/ ....go to products / racing / scud / HB-R163.
They are alloy with a carbon wrap...$100 if you want them.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14355
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Postby Pushy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:14 pm

T7 have a nice one so has Fleets both do not have the integrated stem tho. T7 is carbon and Fleets is carbon wrapped. Main draw back is the inability/difficulty mounting accessories.
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:36 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I had a set of these a while back,no fault of there own but i had to throw them as they where on a bike that went under a car even thou there wasn't a mark on them but carbon bars i wasn't taking the risk.


Erm...I thought CF was more resilient than that. :twisted:
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 pm

triode12 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I had a set of these a while back,no fault of there own but i had to throw them as they where on a bike that went under a car even thou there wasn't a mark on them but carbon bars i wasn't taking the risk.


Erm...I thought CF was more resilient than that. :twisted:


If I could find photos i would post them...but the alloy frame was folded in half totally...the alloy wheels where folded in half,the full carbon bars and ull carbon fork where like new.....I thought alloy was more resilient than that :wink:
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14355
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Postby triode12 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
triode12 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I had a set of these a while back,no fault of there own but i had to throw them as they where on a bike that went under a car even thou there wasn't a mark on them but carbon bars i wasn't taking the risk.


Erm...I thought CF was more resilient than that. :twisted:


If I could find photos i would post them...but the alloy frame was folded in half totally...the alloy wheels where folded in half,the full carbon bars and ull carbon fork where like new.....I thought alloy was more resilient than that :wink:


Yeah, but a CF frame would have cracked/splintered and not folded.

Crashed CF - a ticking timebomb. Even you acknowledged that by chucking them handlebars. Tick tick tick BOOM! :wink: :D
triode12
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Sydney

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Thanks guys. Have the stem mount 'puter already but I'm just not sure...so many choices!! I actually fell in love with some 4ZA Nytros...but it doesn't look like you can buy these without them having the Ridley Noah attached!! Not that I would mind...but $9k seems a bit much for a set of bars :D I would prefer Ritchey to keep with the rest of my kit, but theirs don't look quite so nice.

There are quite a few out there without the integrated stem, but they don't seem to have the nicer shape around the hoods that was so comfy. Good to know your experience with them 'Legs. I doubt if I'd notice any flex with my sprint :wink:

*Resumes The Thinker position*
moosterbounce
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2459
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Rivervale WA

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:49 am

triode12 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
triode12 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I had a set of these a while back,no fault of there own but i had to throw them as they where on a bike that went under a car even thou there wasn't a mark on them but carbon bars i wasn't taking the risk.


Erm...I thought CF was more resilient than that. :twisted:


If I could find photos i would post them...but the alloy frame was folded in half totally...the alloy wheels where folded in half,the full carbon bars and ull carbon fork where like new.....I thought alloy was more resilient than that :wink:


Yeah, but a CF frame would have cracked/splintered and not folded.

Crashed CF - a ticking timebomb. Even you acknowledged that by chucking them handlebars. Tick tick tick BOOM! :wink: :D


I have riden on crashed CF bars with no problem,you just have to judge each situation.I have never seen a CF anything shatter.I have seen an alloy giant frame shatter.If I had had a cast iron frame it still would have folded,might have done a bit more damage to te car thou :D ,I could have put all the ok crash bits on Ebay but i am not that sort of guy and I did get a dura ace system 6 out of it so I am not too bitter :lol:
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14355
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 am

if you are looking for comfy bars that offer multiple hand positions cant go past the Scott Drop-in 2 bars. Have a set on my geared bike. Got them years ago from a guy who used to do tri's. Good pedigree, used by Greg Lamond in one of his Tdf wins.

Image
User avatar
tallywhacker
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: on the road

Postby Halfanewb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:20 am

tallywhacker wrote:if you are looking for comfy bars that offer multiple hand positions cant go past the Scott Drop-in 2 bars. Have a set on my geared bike. Got them years ago from a guy who used to do tri's. Good pedigree, used by Greg Lamond in one of his Tdf wins.

Image


nice looking set of bars tallywhacker. They might be the answer to my problem, which is that i like the hoods to be level for better weight distribution. This means that (on my current bars) by the time i have rotated the bars around enough for this to be so, the drops are basically useless, this is okie for now because i'm not slinky enough yet to get down that far but one lives in hope :)

Ive been flirting with the idea of a one piece solution as well Moo!

i understand some of the motivation , they are just so sexy ! the cinelli range /yummy

though a word of warning to us all , there are a number of cinelli rams on the worlds various ebay sites that are from a batch of failed factory product.

hmm i'm up to no good at the moment,, i aim to misbehave,,
Halfanewb
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:43 am

Imanewbie wrote:
tallywhacker wrote:if you are looking for comfy bars that offer multiple hand positions cant go past the Scott Drop-in 2 bars. Have a set on my geared bike. Got them years ago from a guy who used to do tri's. Good pedigree, used by Greg Lamond in one of his Tdf wins.

Image


nice looking set of bars tallywhacker. They might be the answer to my problem, which is that i like the hoods to be level for better weight distribution. This means that (on my current bars) by the time i have rotated the bars around enough for this to be so, the drops are basically useless, this is okie for now because i'm not slinky enough yet to get down that far but one lives in hope :)

Reading this post I am thinking something is wrong in your set up...have you got a pic,if you have to rotate your bars to get the hoods level but can't use your drops then your levers are in the wrong place.Also sounds like you may need to raise your bars up a bit.

Ive been flirting with the idea of a one piece solution as well Moo!

i understand some of the motivation , they are just so sexy ! the cinelli range /yummy

though a word of warning to us all , there are a number of cinelli rams on the worlds various ebay sites that are from a batch of failed factory product.

hmm i'm up to no good at the moment,, i aim to misbehave,,
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14355
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 am

Hi Tallywhacker - I have seen a few of these on eBay, and apart from an extra position replicating having the hands on the flats, is that it ?

I think they'd feel akward ?
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby europa » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:48 am

I watched a DVD of the TdF Lemond used them in. They were touted as his 'secret weapon' and another 'great advance' - he didn't use them the next year.

I like the concept in some ways, but for me, they wouldn't work. When you are that low, you do have weight on your hands, but on those bars, your wrists are aimed across your body. That isn't a comfortable weight bearing position, plus it forces your elbows out which isn't aerodynamic. Frankly, I'm not surprised they didn't catch on, but I'm sure they suit some people.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
User avatar
europa
 
Posts: 7327
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 am
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:31 am

I find that they give you the low "aero" position without putting undue pressure on your wrists, when you are down on the bottom inward bits it brings your hands in under your shoulders a bit more.
The only problem is they take 4 rolls of bar tape to wrap.
I think Lemond didnt use them the next year because he change his positioning on the bike and went to aerobars. He was always pushing new designs.
User avatar
tallywhacker
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: on the road


Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit