Anyone know if this is a good deal?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Anyone know if this is a good deal?

Postby cameronbike » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:00 pm

Buying a new mountain bike, dont know much. Does anyone reckon this is a good deal for $700?

GITANE BEAST

TYPE Gloss BlackTYRES Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.35COLOR 6061 AlloyF/DERAILLEUR Shimano AlivioFRAME 17" + 19"R/DERAILLEUR Shimano DeoreSIZES SR-DURO E-130, 130mm travel, magnesium lowers, hydraulic dampening, 32mm cro-mo stanchion, cro-mo steerer tube, pre-load adjustor and rebound adjustor.SHIFTERS Shimano DeoreFORK VP Fully Integrated ThreadlessFREEWHEELShimano 11-32t 9 SpeedHEADPARTS SR BB-XCR Splined 110MMF/BRAKE Hayes HFX-9 with 8" rotorBOTTOM BRACKET WTB CXC 640mm x 45mm RiseR/BRAKE Hayes HFX-9 with 8" rotorHANDELBAR WTB CXC 75mmBRAKE LEVERS Hayes HFX-9 CHAINWHEEL SR Duro 22/32/44t with bashguardPEDALSVP-558 Alloy PlatformF/HUB Formula DiscSADDLE Cionlli #909R/HUB Formula DiscSEATPOST Alloy micro-adjustRIMS Weinmann DH-39EXTRAS Stainless steel spokes
cameronbike

by BNA » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:05 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Got a link? I can't follow the mess the formatting made of your cut-and-paste. (Edit: don't worry - found one myself ..... and it wasn't your cutting which made it hard to read - it's their bloody web site!!!! WT?????)

Is it new or second-hand?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Bnej » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 pm

I'd be inclined to say "no", just because I wouldn't buy any dual suspension under $2000.

If you're not looking for a downhill bike then this will be way too heavy. You don't need huge disc rotors and chunky 130mm suspension for cross country use. In that case go for a hardtail MTB with better quality parts and you'll be happier.

Actually, I'd think about it as an entry level downhill bike after another look. Hayes HFX9 brakes are hydraulic and they have big rotors, and you wouldn't be pushing the gears that hard. The suspension *looks* like a solid design. It's likely to be very heavy and I wouldn't go catching huge air on it but it might be good for the price.

But beware - if you are planning to go do downhill racing or something, putting your life in the hands of a $700 bike - I wouldn't.

And if you're just looking for a general purpose MTB for cross country and hopping gutters then look for something lighter without rear suspension and with a more conventional design, like the Trek 6000 series or a Giant Alias.

(edit: I also notice that "The Beast" isn't in their 2007 range, which leads me to believe it hasn't been a very successful bike)
Bnej

Postby cameronbike » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:27 am

As you might've guessed i dont know much about bikes. Im looking for something i can ride around town as well as on some trails.

I thought duel suspension was better than just front, but apparently not?

The bike is new and i thought $700 was a good deal but i guess i should keep looking? Do the giant alias and trek have as good quality components?

ps thanks for advice?

pps so with a price range of $700 i should definatley go for just front suspension?
cameronbike

Postby Bnej » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:10 am

If you want to pay $700 definitely look at front suspension only.

Dual suspension is only good at high price points, otherwise it's poor quality and tends to just make the bike heavy and difficult to ride. The extra cost in the suspension means lower end gears, brakes, wheels etc which are more important for most riders.

For $700 you could probably find a Giant Yukon which would be a solid bike for your purposes. In a Trek you'd be looking about the Trek 4400 model. Other brands will have similar good quality hard tail bikes, just depends what shops stock what.

If you did go and buy the Gitane, while you do get a lot for your money, it's a type of bike not really suited to what you want to do. You would probably just find it heavy and difficult to ride.
Bnej

Postby cameronbike » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:29 am

thanks for the advice
cameronbike

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:30 pm

At $700, it does look like a good deal, but it's a strange one. It is not suited to riding around town because it's heavy and the dual suspension will sap your energy, but it doesn't have enough quality to be trustworthy on the very rough trails which the target market for the bike will want to ride on. It will very easily handle the riding you've described ("around town and some trails") but you won't enjoy riding it until you "go big" on it. Trouble is, going big may not be advisable on that bike.

If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the $700 on a decent hard-tail.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts