Buying Frame with Crack - any point?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Buying Frame with Crack - any point?

Postby victorhooi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 pm

heya,

I am looking at purchasing a frame. However, the person selling it said that there is a crack at the chainstay and the seatstay pivot. More exactly:

The frame has a small crack at the chainstay and seatstay pivot. So far the crack has not affected the performance at all and was only noticed once the frame was stripped down to be sold

Is there any point in purchasing this frame? (i.e. should I just ignore it, and buy the frame). Will this damage cause a lot of problems down the track? Is it repairable?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Victor
victorhooi

by BNA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:28 pm

BNA

Postby europa » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse mate.

Now, the frame. After you've assaulted the thing with a hacksaw, will there be any bits you need? I suppose it can be the donor for half of a home built, long wheel base recumbent.

Is it steel or aluminium?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:39 pm

Walk - no RUN - away from the deal. If it's aluminum, offer him the scrap value (about $1). For your own safety, don't turn it back into a bike.

Oh, and welcome.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby victorhooi » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:54 am

heya,

That was quick, and thanks for the warm welcome, guys :D.

The frame is aluminium - cracks are bad, but I just didn't know if cracks in the two locations described (chainstay and near seatpost pivot) were very bad, or meant the frame could still be used.

I suppose these frame's aren't repairable? (My father has people who can do TIG welding on aluminium). Or is that a vain hope?

Thanks,
Victor
victorhooi

Postby MountGower » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:25 am

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MountGower

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Victor,
Yes frames can be repaired,my alloy frame has been repair twice as there is no dealer in the country for them anymore so that is the best the shop can do under warranty...it is my training bike which is nothing special but fits me perfectly so I want to keep it.It had been welded then had a carbon wrap in the area,they say it will be stronger than orig.
But I wouldn't buy a cracked frame,if it has 2 cracks it may have more,if it is a very special frame then maybee,but don't bother....look around ebay etc or do what I do and get old stock frames new from the shop...then you will have a warranty.
toolonglegs

Postby uMP2k » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 am

Pretty much agree with everybody else on this one.

Unless it is something special it is just not worth repairing a frame like this - especially as you do not know its real history and what other problems may be lurking under the surface.

As MG and others have already said there are plenty of quite cheap new or at least undamaged frames out there on ebay or in some LBS. Depending on your price range you can even get pretty good deals from ebay US on new discontinued stock frames (particularly Leaders I seem to recall) which are pretty good value eve with shipping to Oz.
uMP2k

Return to Buying a bike / parts